Author Topic: WingSUP without a foil  (Read 16759 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
WingSUP without a foil
« on: June 27, 2019, 04:11:17 AM »
A thread for those interested in the Air Wing but not the foil.  Here is a nice vid of a guy cruising and doing some basic transitions.  I actually think there is a big group of people out there that will enjoy this a lot as a fun and mellow cruise activity.  The wing is really nice to fly. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QArz4CZ96zo

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: WingSUP without a foil
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 05:15:51 AM »
I'll bet a fast downwind board would get up a little more speed.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 07:27:28 AM »
Maybe try that on my old Pro Tech Z27 formula board.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 11:47:55 AM »
I'm thinking foiling is out for me but I'd like to try this. Lots of days here with wind and without surf
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 12:26:51 PM »
My friend picked up his 4M Duo-Tone Foil Wing yesterday and we headed out on Lake Union near Seattle to test it out on a 11' SUP (Jimmy Styx w/ a small tail fin). Wind was between 3 - 10mph. It was fun and mellow, a similar sensation to light-wind windsurfing on a big board. The wing felt great in my hands and I can't imagine using a wing without a solid boom. At this point I think DuoTone has the right design. I need another session in a bit stronger and steadier wind to determine whether it's as-fun or more fun than light air windsurfing. The harder the wind blew the easier it was to hold up the wing. In light air (less than 5 mph) it got tiring to hold up the wing.

We weren't staying up wind very well yesterday (we had a chase boat following us around). That could have had to do with the light wind, the small fin on the board, or lack of experience w/ the wing. I would be curious to hear others experience with going upwind w/out a foil.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 02:29:22 PM »
was thinking the same thing  ;)

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 05:35:08 PM »
I am thinking of this as an alternative to paddling for downwinders. On a 14' or 16' downwind board and Gorge winds it should be more than enough to get you into swells! Going upwind wouldn't even be necessary.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 07:22:38 PM »
Why mess with the drag bag? How about a little electric motor. Did you ever do the coffin surfing as a kid? That’s how I want to go..... 8)

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 07:36:11 PM »
I didn’t invent the name drag bag. Blake at Northwave had a series of deep cut sails that he called drag bags. “To get the fat asses out of the water”

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 07:44:04 PM »
I think they were called Surfturds GL extras........ ;)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 11:17:25 PM »
In answer to the request for experience going upwind.
My one time playing with the wing was on a beginner windsurf board with a daggerboard, in 20+ mph winds. Once I got steering down with the 3.0 wing, which only took a couple of short runs, going upwind worked pretty well, but we lost some ground messing around to get going, and some while figuring out how to tighten up the jibe. However, even in that much wind, the board was very slow (like 3-5 mph), and unstable in the cross chop; way to unstable to use the wing on any of my smaller SUPs in that much chop. Switched to my windsurf board with a 5.3, and was instantly going 25 with no instability issues. I sailed around with some guys who are very good at foiling with the wing, and their speeds were fairly close to the windsurf rig planing at full power.
As far as light wind; I have done a fair amount of wave sailing on my SUP boards with a 5.3 sail in 5 to 12 mph winds. No problem getting back upwind after each downwind wave ride, even on an 8'7" board with small quad or thruster fins. I could be wrong, but I don't think that the wing would go upwind as well as the windsurf rig on those same boards in that same wind.
For anyone who wants to get out on a SUP in light winds without a foil, I would suggest considering a SUP with a mast track that would make a good addition to your quiver, or have a mast track installed in one of your existing SUPs, and pick up a used 5.5 rig cheap. A little more gear, but faster, better upwind, more stable, and plenty fun if you come across any surf that was too windy and choppy to have fun paddling. Of course if you add a foil to the wing, that is a whole different story, and that combo makes a lot more sense IMHO.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 01:47:57 PM »
I've got the old 12-6 Starboard cruiser with the retractable dagger board. I need to get one or maybe borrow one and give it a shot.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 09:31:20 PM »
Did you get another 12'6" or are you talking about the one i gave you. If so, that's isn't retractable, it's a Tuttle fin. You can plug any tuttle fin in there, but a more vertical shape would go upwind best.

There really isn't much need for a centerboard once you get used to the wing, any board with a long straight rail is easy to get upwind. You move back a little on the board, get the wing a bit behind your center and it steams upwind. It's actually easy to push it into a tack.

Of course that Starboard 12'6" also has a mast attachment, so you can go any way you like. the old boards were versatile. I sailed that board without a fin on the All Aluminum Tour. When Starboard first shipped it to me they didn't include a fin, but did include the tuttle daggerfin. So I took it out on a lake and it worked surprisingly well. Touchy, but it worked.

This is your board, 9 meter superfreak sail in the sit-up-and-beg for wind position, no fin, tuttle daggerfin, middle of lake fucking Michigan. I didn't think I was going to make it back to shore.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:45:48 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 04:05:44 PM »
Great thread, Admin. I hope we can all help each other out.

Day one was less than successful.

I have the Naish Wingsurfer, Setup is so quick and easy - nothing compared to rigging a windsurf sail.

I've been windsurfing for many, many years on everything from long boards to slalom boards.  I don't have a foil (yet).  I figured 'who needs centerboard'?   Well, I guess I go. 

I took a 11' 3" surfboard SUP with a single fin.  Went to a park on Lake Washington (Seattle) with a very long side shore breach. Wind was at most 10kt, usually less.  But I don't think more wind would have helped - at least not yet.

The wing is very easy to fly - just pick it up and it hovers easily is just about any position with one hand.  And it's easy to move from the front handle to the strut, and up and down the strut.

This is where things didn't go as planned.  When I get up on the board, wing flying, it immediately turns downwind.  Of course when that happens the apparent wind goes to near zero, and wing isn't supplying much turning force.  I tried kneeling and standing.

So I spent a couple of hours blowing downwind, and walking back upwind. I didn't get enough speed to rail the board, and didn't find a position for the wing to counter the wind and waves pushing the nose of the board downwind.  I tired pumping the wing, but didn't find anything that worked yet. 

Next time I'm going to take my Kona One board and put the daggerboard down.  I would have used it today, but it's not currently at home.

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 02:11:44 AM »
@cascade
I find starting on my knees, holding the leading edge handle, and adjusting the angle of the wing, is a good way to point at first learning
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal