Author Topic: Progression  (Read 3966 times)

VincentShay

• Waikiki Status
  • Clap It Out!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Progression
« on: June 26, 2019, 08:02:42 PM »
Howdy all!

So, I went from my home made, DIY foil and got a GoFoil Iwa and Kai Rear and stabilizer setup.  I coupled that with a 7'6" Infinity Tombstone and a 5'11" Infinity Prone foil in the last few days.  That first session on my homemade foil got me that fired up!

The first session I went right to the surf with the 5'11" Prone foil and the GoFoil IWA setup with large stabilizer.  In Cayucos, we don't really have long waves mushing out to long whitewater, so I decided since I was a surfer to just get right to it so I paddled in. 2'-3' foot south swell at low tide. NOT optimum...but I did it.  Took some fun wipeouts.

Later that same day, I managed to get the Infinity SUP foil outfitted so my wife, Em, and I went down to 24th St in Cayucos and I took off.  I have been paddling for some time and it was not difficult paddling the board to the waves and actually paddling in...the foil another story! I managed to go down the line though and got some flight time.  Nothing nuts, but I got the feel.

Today, I had the opportunity to introduce a friend of mine to the sport of foiling and he has a boat...He wanted to try! I said what the heck, it will give me more time to dial in the foil technique, plus I really wanted to try the smaller Kai stabilizer with the Iwa Wing.  It made SUCH A DIFFERENCE.  I won't go back to the big stabilizer unless I am down winding...which is my SOLE GOAL OF THE FOIL THING.

Enjoy the vid.

https://youtu.be/C_SzU1GcPYI

Any tips are cool. So tip away. My only 4th time on any sort of foil so I think I am progressing pretty quick. Boat helped so much today.

Mahalo,

Vincent Shay
Vincent Shay
:VincentShayPhotography.com
:SUPOceanRockhopping.com
:AvilaBeachPaddlesports.com

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Progression
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 12:19:54 AM »
Great progress Vince + Mike. Takes me back to my first boat sessions. Still as stoked now as I was then on foiling.  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:26:43 AM by supunk »

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 03:10:49 PM »
I never did the boat tow and this looks like fun  8)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 07:55:19 AM »
Looking really good for your first few times out. Only suggestion would be to make sure that your feet are more inline with one another. Your front foot is off center of the stringer to the heel side, and why the board wants to dart to that side more so than it does the toe side it would appear. Without reinvigorating the "do you need straps?" controversy again...my personal opinion is that at least in the beginning, a front one is very advantageous to the learning curve of foiling, since your foot is in the same spot every time, and even more importantly...the correct spot each time. JMO mind you.  :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 08:32:28 PM »
Looking really good for your first few times out. Only suggestion would be to make sure that your feet are more inline with one another. Your front foot is off center of the stringer to the heel side, and why the board wants to dart to that side more so than it does the toe side it would appear. Without reinvigorating the "do you need straps?" controversy again...my personal opinion is that at least in the beginning, a front one is very advantageous to the learning curve of foiling, since your foot is in the same spot every time, and even more importantly...the correct spot each time. JMO mind you.  :)

I agree Vincent you're looking good and I'm impressed with your progression.

I also agree with Dave (good eye!), some kind of foot markers can help.  I've seen people being towed have a similar off center stance, seems the rope enable this and as soon as they let go of the rope they wipeout.  A wake big enough to let go of the rope is what I would suggest.

Wondering if tips help?  Or how do you learn?   
For me I need what I'm doing right to be acknowledged, and if I'm making crucial mistakes for people to ask if I want to hear suggestions.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 08:59:38 PM »
I wonder the same thing Clay. I find tips from some people are very helpful and let me progress, but the useful ones usually come when I'm off the water. Having someone yell suggestions when I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing is not helpful. And offering suggestions to Admin and Chan is downright dangerous.

But you asked, so I'd echo what Sano said--your feet aren't in the best position. I don't think your kick pad helps that. Most folks put a narrow line of deck pad or stomp pad material so they not only know their feet are in the right position fore and aft, but also that they are on the centerline of the board.

You're also leaning forward at the waist to get weight on your front foot and pushing your butt out to counterweight. All the best foilers I see keep their backs straight, head up, and get their hips over their front foot to weight the front. It makes a huge difference in how you can keep the board flying smoothly, The porpoising you are doing is because you don't have fine control of pitch. As your upper body wobbles around--as it clearly does in the video--it's changing the pitch of the board. Pushing your hips forward and using your trunk to control weight on your front foot gives you a stable platform to control pitch.

For a few moments in the second half of the video you had your front foot on the centerline instead of off to the right, and you were much more stable in roll and yaw. You also briefly had a more upright stance with your hips somewhat forward, and you stopped porpoising and were able to pump some. But then you went back to the wrong foot and body position at the end. I think if you watch the video a bit you'll see what I mean.

As always, the Sam Pae/Blue Planet videos do a great job of showing this.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:08:20 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

VincentShay

• Waikiki Status
  • Clap It Out!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 09:31:27 PM »
I LOVE all the suggestions. I haven't been able to get back here until today...really busy at my shop in Avila.

SO, I am marking my center line with a yellow center mark. I see how that is so important with foiling. I am a surfer....hahahahaha. Its all new to me. This is also my second time doing this. Super cool LOVE it so far. Thanks all.

Vincent Shay

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 04:28:02 AM »
You're also leaning forward at the waist to get weight on your front foot and pushing your butt out to counterweight. All the best foilers I see keep their backs straight, head up, and get their hips over their front foot to weight the front.

As always, the Sam Pae/Blue Planet videos do a great job of showing this.
   Great job on your first day towing! You managed to get level flight and nice little carves. However, Bill is right on here and it's the first thing I spotted. You've got a little poo stance going and you can't get weight over the foil.
   At the 2:00 minute mark you see that the sudden increase in pressure just as as you crossed over the wake caused you to breach since you couldn't weight your front foot. You likely have also noticed that when you get too much speed and you are hunched over, it feels impossible to recover from that feeling of impending doom as you try to fight the breach. As Bill says and in Sam's videos, move your hips forward and back, keeping your chest in line to control the pitch of the board while flying.
   Also keep your shoulders more square in front of you as opposed to surf style with one shoulder leading. This gets both your hips and more of your torso weight over your front foot. Try keeping 2 hands on the bar a couple of times. This will automatically get your shoulders aligned and help you get the feeling.

VincentShay

• Waikiki Status
  • Clap It Out!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 01:09:11 PM »
Thanks! I am only 5'6" and think I am standing pretty wide on that 7'6"! I will try longer I guess.  Marking center line and square shoulders should help too. Thanks for the advice all.

Vincent Shay

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 05:49:00 PM »
The width of the stance required in foiling feels a bit much at first, but it becomes second nature quickly. You don't need to overstretch though, just get your feet on the centerline. You can figure the rest out as you go. The most important elements, though, are: Don't bend at the waist, feet on the centerline, weight forward by pushing your hips forward and square your shoulders across the board. If you do that everything becomes easier. And get rid of the stomp pads and replace them with a line. It's more important that your feet be on the centerline than that they are exactly over the mast or exactly where the foot strap would be. Your stomp pads let your feet be almost anywhere in relation to the centerline and that just doesn't work. The only guy I've seen pull the staggered feet thing off was Junya McGurn, and he quit doing it as soon as his foiling progressed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 07:25:57 PM »
Pono, you should start a foiling school. After reading your explanation I feel like I am flying..... 8)

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 07:43:35 PM »
  You've got a little poo stance going and you can't get weight over the foil.
Sorry, I did not make sense here. What I meant to say was you can't properly get your weight forward to counteract the lift of the foil.

VincentShay

• Waikiki Status
  • Clap It Out!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »
Hey! Wow, stoked on the good advice on stance etc.  Makes alot of sense.  Right on!

Vincent Shay

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal