Author Topic: Yay! I got a Four meter  (Read 1576 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Yay! I got a Four meter
« on: June 26, 2019, 04:16:39 PM »
Picked up my 4M Duotone at the UPS store today. One of the people who was early on the Big Winds list--Dan Hall--also had an order in with Urban Surf in Seattle but his wings were available at Big Winds so he came down for a long weekend, scored some nice wind and conditions, and cancelled his Urban Surf order. I called on Monday and they sold it to me.

Scored! Thanks Dan.

I did a homemade carbon boom by taking apart the aluminum one (easy--just drilled out the rivets) and replacing the main shaft with a KeNalu paddle shaft. It fits the leading edge boom end like it was made for it. The paddle shaft is much thinner than a typical carbon boom so I couldn't drill holes and use spring pins. I did a preliminary test with a broken shaft and the section with a drill hole failed at a little over 100 pounds--right at the hole of course. So I had to do a funky spacer arrangement with a telescoping tube I bought from Clearwater Composites. It came out great, though I'm sure the spacer thing is going to be a PITA. The stock aluminum boom is nicely made but a bit heavy at 960 grams. The 4M boom with telescoping tube and spacer is 520 g. I did another version that's non-adjustable at 410g. With some design tweaks I can get the adjustable with spacers down to about 450.

I did the 4m at 149 cm which is the middle of the recommended range. The 3m length with the spacer removed is 129cm which is the short end of the range which will offer the most power. I doubt I'll ever need to flatten the 3M to reduce power.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:24:48 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Yay! I got a Four meter
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 05:15:45 PM »
Congrats. If you want, I could send you a carbon shaft with telescopic tube, 250gr or even less for
probably $150 or so. The setup is oval though, not sure if that's good or bad.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 05:36:21 PM »
Thanks, but the boom end is round and the KeNalu shaft fits with just a few wraps of aluminum tape. I hot glued it in place of course. The shaft and telescoping piece is about 200g, it's the plastic boom ends that make up most of the weight.

Oh, and it's Dan Taylor that I'm thanking. Dan Hall is a guy I race cars with.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 05:40:38 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 06:31:59 PM »
Only you would take a new toy right out of the box and start tweaking it

Bet you didn't even place the aluminum tube in position before you ran to the shop and started cutting the paddle shaft!

Waiting for flight data :)

Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal