Author Topic: Board bag for my 7'10"?  (Read 2707 times)

Logan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Board bag for my 7'10"?
« on: June 23, 2019, 06:39:28 AM »
Hello Zone!

I could use some advice on finding a quality board bag for my 7'10 x 31.5 (7s Ubersmooth). Anyone with similar dimensions - what are you using? I'm looking for a day bag, but really anything that will fit my board.

I have used the Koredry topless cover in the past, but found that it didn't last long in the Florida sun and at highway speeds. I'd like a more durable solution (and some protection from flying stuff on the highway). The best bag I have found so far is a Gong bag (in France, of course, and with no standard shipping plan to USA). I can't find anything that will fit in stock here/ on a USA website.

Thanks for any advice!

Logan
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 06:42:52 AM by Logan »

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Board bag for my 7'10"?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 07:33:45 AM »
Check out vitamin blue bags. They should be able to hook you up.

http://vitaminblue.com/

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 07:40:11 AM »
https://www.storeyourboard.com/surfer-sup-bag-paddleboard-cover/

I ordered this 8’2” in the 28” width for my board (7’10”x27”) to take to Mexico. Nice quality bag. May be more than you’re looking for since it’s a travel bag, but I like mine quite well.

Logan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 08:08:23 AM »
Thanks guys. I've contacted vitaminblue to get an idea of the price. Biggreen, how much extra width does your bag have? I looked at this one, but with a stated width of "31", I assume it won't fit my 31.5 x 4.5" board.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 08:12:51 AM »
Check out vitamin blue bags. They should be able to hook you up.

http://vitaminblue.com/
I have at least 7 board bags. Two of them are Vitaminblue bags. The VitaminBlue bags are my oldest bags and most traveled (thousands of miles on top of my truck and RV). They are still in great shape after 9 years. Zippers are good, no tears or fabric break down. The others: Riviera, Naish, SupCo, OAM, and generic's all are falling apart with much less use and only 4 to five years old. Garbage compared to Vitaminblue. Frank is a great guy to work with too.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/newport-beach-new-vitamin-blue-roof/6901756753.html

The quality of the zipper and fabric is a big part of it. A lot of the cheaper bags are plastic. Flexible plastics don't last more than a few years in the sun. VitaminBlue uses actual fabric that luggage and backpacks are made of.

https://youtu.be/MFu3zAFnDJM
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:30:41 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 09:21:53 AM »
Ion has an excellent quality double board bag probably designed for formula windsurf boards that actually fits Mr. Fugly (7'2" X 33 or maybe 32") though it was a tight fit. I used it for shipping Fugly home. I agree with Talldude about general bag quality, though the Icon bag looks really good. Most of mine have disintegrated though the general outlasted the boards they fit. I've got a few bags that don't seem to fit any of my current stuff. If I get another bag for foilboards I'd probably get Vitamin Blue to make it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:25:40 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 09:59:53 AM »
Call Blue Planet Surf. They have a 7’6 x 30.5 foil board, and their own line of bags. The quality is good and it just may be that the bag for that foil board may fit your slightly larger dimensions.
And shipping is second nature.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 04:02:21 PM »
Thanks guys. I've contacted vitaminblue to get an idea of the price. Biggreen, how much extra width does your bag have? I looked at this one, but with a stated width of "31", I assume it won't fit my 31.5 x 4.5" board.

Sorry to be late with a reply, Logan. I had plenty of width. Your board would fit just fine in the 31” bag. They’re well built at a reasonable price, and ship free and quickly

Logan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 04:21:09 PM »
I ended up going with the Curve Fish bag (from Amazon). It seems like a very well made bag, and I got immediate answers to my questions on fit as well.

I called Vitamin Blue and found out that unfortunately the owner is being treated for a significant health issue and is unable to complete any kind of "custom" order at this time. I hope he comes through ok.

Thanks all for the advice! Hopefully I'll see you out there in the lineup.

Logan

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 10:32:39 PM »
I hope Frank gets through what ever he's being treated for. Such a great guy :(
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal