Author Topic: Should I blame David John?  (Read 6071 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Should I blame David John?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 01:26:09 PM »
Now you need to find yourself a 2014 Glide GX. For touring... and just because it was a lovely board that you could probably pick up for peanuts now.

That is mean Area 10. There he was sleeping comfortably at night and now ya had to send him searching again ;D

:) :) It’s a journey not a destination :)

It’s just very nice to own a board that is practical and versatile, and where you know that no matter how choppy or windy the conditions, or how long the paddle, it will make it easy for you. And then there are the lovely looking graphics, and the fact that it would match as well as complement the other Naish boards he owns.

But I guess that an Ace-GT is nice too. It’s certainly big. And it’s got those lovely Starboard graphics and colour scheme... wait, no, I’m getting confused: It’s the Naish that has the lovely graphics. The Starboard Ace-GT on the other hand... umm... well, it is big. And it’s so easy to use and transport, and versatile and easy to carry... err, no, I’m getting confused again- that was the Naish. Again :)
https://youtu.be/7RfhKl1oh-w

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »

:) :) It’s a journey not a destination :)

It’s just very nice to own a board that is practical and versatile, and where you know that no matter how choppy or windy the conditions, or how long the paddle, it will make it easy for you. And then there are the lovely looking graphics, and the fact that it would match as well as complement the other Naish boards he owns.

But I guess that an Ace-GT is nice too. It’s certainly big. And it’s got those lovely Starboard graphics and colour scheme... wait, no, I’m getting confused: It’s the Naish that has the lovely graphics. The Starboard Ace-GT on the other hand... umm... well, it is big. And it’s so easy to use and transport, and versatile and easy to carry... err, no, I’m getting confused again- that was the Naish. Again :)
https://youtu.be/7RfhKl1oh-w

I am all for enjoying the journey!

Actually the Ace-GT is probably the nicest of all Starboard boards and really nice on the water but yes, a little encombrant to carry along.....hence me selling it. SO if it sells then, either reduce our credit line or find a good priced nice board that is going to be doing all the above at another bargain price :-) And yes the 2014 Glide GX could be one of these.... kind of like a 2014 Javelin expanded :-)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:39:59 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 02:39:06 PM »
Yeah, one of the most obvious missed opportunities a SUP brand has made was Naish not bringing out a 27” wide version of the 2014 Glide GX. That would have sold well, and been a seriously sought-after board on the used market, even now.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 03:12:44 PM »
Yeah, one of the most obvious missed opportunities a SUP brand has made was Naish not bringing out a 27” wide version of the 2014 Glide GX. That would have sold well, and been a seriously sought-after board on the used market, even now.

Amen to that, even 28. The LE is pretty good when going. i.e. I had it with wind on my back in pretty messed-up conditions (river mouth, tide, wind, sand-bank underneath - each in a different direction) and stayed on the board the whole time. I was totally impressed with the board, I can tell you. But when going out in side chop, side wind, I went down several times which is not usual for me on the Maliko or Ace. 29" is a little bit or a lot outside my comfort zone for a two~four hours paddling in terms of stroke mechanics.
Blackfish Paddles

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 08:44:33 PM »
Nice quiver Luc. The Maliko is such a nice looking board.

Even in the Heavy GS construction, I totally loved how my Glide handled and was always on the look out for the GX version and only ever saw a couple used online in the States. Naish did a very limited run of the GX for the Glide when the 14 x 29 came out. I would buy another one. It seems the 2018 14 x 28 Naish Maliko is almost as rare as the GX Glide.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 09:14:44 PM »
Yes it is a little bit strange. On one hand, Naish has some nice race boards Javelin and Maliko with low volume tailored for small, light paddler like me (6' 170lbs) but on the other hand, the Glide series after 2014 seems geared toward big guys and the boards are in very heavy constructions. Even the GTW is way over the top in weight. Other brands have touring boards in the 28~30 lbs range. I could totally see a post 2013 Glide 14x27/28 under 29 lbs as a total winner.
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 09:52:47 PM »
Yes. I think they’ve almost killed the “Glide” name by making them so crazy heavy and gargantuan. I can see that they wanted clear water between the Glides and Javelins, for marketing purposes. But I think they went over the top, making the Glides almost a niche board. Few people can carry or lift onto their roof racks boards as heavy as the 14x30 Glide. According to Naish, even the 2019 Glide 12ft GSX weighed 35.5lbs (16kg)! Yet the recommended weight limit for the riders of even the 14ft boards was a relatively modest 104kgs.

Now that they have the Naish inflatables for beginners, they should IMO make the epoxy Glides true “race/tourers” again, to make them a step up for people from the inflatables, and a realistic weight for the moderately athletic SUPer who wants a well-priced board with good stability for fitness, fun, and the occasional race, and is a sensible weight, especially since they seem to make few 14x28 Malikos. There are so many cheap brands now offering big barges - is there a strong market for a relatively expensive, heavy, big Naish touring board these days? It seems to me that the premium brands will have to move a bit upmarket towards the “performance” end to compete with the onslaught of the local and cheap Chinese imports (at least outside the US). But maybe I am wrong...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 03:50:00 AM »
Anyone tried/owned one of these?

http://www.supracer.com/naish-javelin-mc14-revealed/

They were ahead of their time, I think.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 08:30:51 AM »
^ Neither owned not tried, but inquired about. A good board shop in Portland had a used MC in the 12’6 length. But he advised against it as, in his experience, the shape distorts with heat. His words: “blew up like a balloon”. Could be hyperbole but it was enough for me. Shame really. Cool boards and light.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 11:43:12 AM »
^ Neither owned not tried, but inquired about. A good board shop in Portland had a used MC in the 12’6 length. But he advised against it as, in his experience, the shape distorts with heat. His words: “blew up like a balloon”. Could be hyperbole but it was enough for me. Shame really. Cool boards and light.
Ah, thanks. Back then, brands weren’t using gortex valves as much. I assume that if you installed one at the front and one at the back, it would be fine these days.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2019, 04:54:41 PM »
It just happen that the past three paddling sessions have been flat water with little or no wind and the inflow season has not started yet..
I am really enjoying the 22 lbs and nose of the Javelin compared to the 28 lbs of the Maliko on flat days.
In two weeks,we have a 19 km downwind race and I am starting to think that it might end-up been a 19km flat water race  :( in which case Javelin it is....
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2019, 07:16:21 PM »
A bit off-topic, but I wonder why so many races are so long. It makes the logistics and training so much more of a PITA, and you’d probably get the exact same result if the race was only 1 hour long, in terms of finishing order. 19km is a nice touring distance, but it’s a long way to race, beyond the abilities of many casual recreational paddlers who might otherwise be tempted to have a go.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2019, 07:28:56 PM »
A bit off-topic, but I wonder why so many races are so long. It makes the logistics and training so much more of a PITA, and you’d probably get the exact same result if the race was only 1 hour long, in terms of finishing order. 19km is a nice touring distance, but it’s a long way to race, beyond the abilities of many casual recreational paddlers who might otherwise be tempted to have a go.

Who cares about the race aspect :-) It is a beautiful run and if windy not a chore at all. I usually do it a few time a year anyway. But yes we often only do a portion either the 8 km run or the 11 km run. Only the pro and the surfski do it at a race. Most of us do it as a chance to downwidn togetehr with guys that we do not see often and having a shuttle included without several cars having to go around.
Blackfish Paddles

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 05:51:35 AM »
Nice quiver
But it won't be complete until you can find a Penatrator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTcxMQY5Ixg
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 04:12:20 PM »
Nice quiver
But it won't be complete until you can find a Penatrator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTcxMQY5Ixg

I got this model for a few decades now, though I'm not sure I want to put yellow paint on it.
I believe few here have this one since the late 40's. It's definitely a good one to have ;D
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal