Author Topic: Shared Knowledge for beginners  (Read 86198 times)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shared Knowledge for beginners
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2019, 04:49:14 AM »
Admin,  I understand what you are saying about the trailing edge.  It is something  I have thought about.  Maybe it was the lighter winds that made it more controllable.  Also the trailing edge on the slingshot is inflatable.  So that might help it not be so reactive.  Also with that inflatable trailing edge being inflatable. It tends to hold water when upside down easier.  Flipping it the way I did was a quick and easy way of removing that water.  Still experimenting with it.

I do not recall my board getting in the way of rotating the wing. Not anything meaningful.  Sitting or kneeling on it, the nose would hit it and I just shifted my weight to put the nose under water and get the wing closer to me. Not an issue at all but I remember doing it.  I am talking about after I have flipped it if that is what you are asking.  Once I flipped it, I think I just grabbed the trailing edge a rotated it hand over hand to the leading edge and then to center.  But as I was grabbing the leading edge, the wing would become lighter with a little wind under it.

Pono,  I think I understand what you are saying and I will have to try next time i get a chance to get out and see what happens.

I also wondered if it may be better to have a leash on a wing tip to flag it out easier, but quickly shot that idea down with having to switch wing positions.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 08:00:35 AM »
Ninja,

I hear you.  You are 100% right about factoring in the wing design.  A lot of these little details that smooth out the process are very wing specific.  Just in the wings that we own some of these little motions that we have each developed don't translate at all to another wing design.  All of these wings look fairly similar at first take but they are actually pretty radically different.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2019, 04:45:20 AM »
This guy is single leashing it.  I wonder how well a backwards foil works as an anchor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0GIp6BnPwh/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2019, 08:55:59 AM »
Wow, that's worth testing. I could move the attachment point to one that makes it more likely to drag a lot.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2019, 09:26:03 AM »
Wow, that's worth testing. I could move the attachment point to one that makes it more likely to drag a lot.

Could you also test passing it through a waist belt so both wing and you
are attached to the board with single leash or do you foresee any issues
with that setup?
in progress...

Lazz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2019, 09:55:44 AM »
Is it not better to make a attachment point on the nose or use the GoPro plug?
the leash is less disturbing under the feets and the HandWing is further from the Foil for nasty contact.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:03:33 AM by Lazz »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2019, 02:35:24 PM »
Is it not better to make a attachment point on the nose or use the GoPro plug?
the leash is less disturbing under the feets and the HandWing is further from the Foil for nasty contact.

I think anything in front of the mast and the wing is going to pull it forward and it will be gone.  The wing and the foil may act as anchors for each other with a tail mount.  I am going to try it.  What do you figure, 10 foot leash?  These leashes are driving me nuts.  I can't feel if they are under my feet and it is getting old.  I had a great session today but I am willing to swim a little to get rid of a leash.  :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2019, 03:29:32 PM »
.....I am willing to swim a little to get rid of a leash.  :)

You can’t swim fast enough to catch the board.

In high winds, the dam thing foils away like its got a motor.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2019, 04:28:08 AM »
For sure, DW, I would not consider it if it weren't leashed to something.  I am wondering, though, if the board will still run being pulled backwards.  Will the foil act as a brake it in that position?  Worth checking out :).

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2019, 06:39:38 AM »
It will auto spin downwind and take off.

The only time foilboards don’t fly away is when they float on their side. Kite boards with huge floaty wings do that.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2019, 03:46:08 AM »
Hi Ninja,

You may have already worked this out but here is a good look at a guy flipping your Slingshot wing to get started.  He is going pretty close to the wingtip to do his flip. 

https://www.facebook.com/wingdotsurf/videos/484275032115854/

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2019, 05:22:06 AM »
Thanks for that video.  I don't have a slingshot yet, just a demo.

There is a handle about 16-18 inches or so on each side from the center handle.  It looks like he used one of those.  He had more wind than i did, which could very easily help.  It also looked like he did not get any water on the wing either.  Just waiting for another chance to get out and hopefully with more wind than last time.  I watched the video of myself and the wind looked pathetic.  BUT. It did give me ideas on handling so not a total loss.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2019, 01:34:24 PM »
I changed my foot position and came up smooth as glass, first try. Then the wind dropped 5mph and I was back to struggling. Of course, as soon as I got out of the water the wind picked back up. Tomorrow is supposed to be even better and I'm a bit pooped from an hour of OC6 paddling this morning and two hours of wing flogging. But I might give it another go this evening if I get bored working on the MoHo.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2019, 07:57:42 PM »
I’ll be honest. I have only seen the wing foilers out a few times. Mostly at the hatch. What is it they are trying to do? If is to give others something to laugh at, they are succeeding. I am not being harsh, but really....The kiters on foils, the good ones, are like god’s on the water. If I was wanting to foil, the kite 100%.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2019, 02:46:28 AM »
I’ll be honest. I have only seen the wing foilers out a few times. Mostly at the hatch. What is it they are trying to do? If is to give others something to laugh at, they are succeeding. I am not being harsh, but really....The kiters on foils, the good ones, are like god’s on the water. If I was wanting to foil, the kite 100%.

Well you'd better join the gods then. ;D

Or do you want us to explain why we like it so much?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:56:13 AM by soepkip »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal