Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis Destroyer  (Read 30095 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 05:55:13 PM »
That doesn't look like much dome; just a little.  They go rail to rail better with at least a bit of dome.  Looks totally great!
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 06:48:21 PM »
Yes the “dome” is very, very slight. More of just a taper to the rails maybe the last inch or two. Being such a small board though I need to be out there. Board is super stable even at only 100 ltrs to my 190lbs. But the sweet spot has me closer to that downward dip at the rail line. Probably unnoticeable to anyone else. Only reason I notice it is because my knee is such junk. 3 surgeries trying to correct a life and career bouncing around on boats. Also coming off a Sunova Shroom with the best, most comfortable deck I’ve ever been on and arguably the most locked in feel of any board out there. As I get more comfortable with the board I feel I’ll  be able to increase that sweet spot a bit. And maybe just throw on my neoprene sleeve on the knee which helps.

I don’t take buying a new board, sight unseen, at price very lightly. I saved, researched all options, waited months for delivery and could not be happier with the new board. Jimmy absolutely nailed this board and I’m looking forward to enjoying it for a long time.
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2019, 12:49:16 AM »
Thanks for the front rocker pic. The Destroyer is characterized as having 'more rocker than the Striker" so I was curious. I probably depend too much on nose kick.   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2019, 11:53:20 AM »
Oh man, I was all set to purchase an 8’10 Destroyer and you mentioned the domed deck!  I’m not a fan and I guess from pics I didn’t pick that up.  Reviews from the other site no one mentions it.  Thanks for the review.

The domed deck looks very subtle to me. I doubt it detracts from the performance much. The problem with the Destroyer are the high volumes in the bigger sizes which force lighter riders like us to go small and narrow if we want the correct volume for our weight.

The 8'10 would have way too much float for you. It's designed for riders well over 200 pounds.

Don't confuse volume with stability. Having the correct volume for your weight actually adds stability because the board is cradled more by the water. Ultimately, you want the deck pad to be level with the surface of the water or close to it. Too much volume hinders performance.
I do agree it looks subtle but I’m not worried about its performance more about my knees feeling it.  And yes I have this psychological weirdness with volume but from experience I prefer to go bigger despite losing performance.  Plus I’m 205 without a wetsuit so I think I’ll be fine.  I went with the largest super frank and couldn’t be happier.

I am 245 pounds and my 8'5 is very stable - even in rough water. IMHO, at 205, 8'10 will be too big.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:55:46 AM by BigZ »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 12:32:05 PM »
The King's volume Calculator puts the target volume for a 205 pound advanced rider at 123 liters. That's just a general rule. Most people can go much lower than what the chart says.

If you haven't ridden a board with the correct volume for your weight, you don't know what you're missing. The lower volume is what allows you to properly bury the rail and carve turns.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2019, 04:21:26 PM »
So after some back and forth with Jimmy and a much anticipated wait I have recieved my new board! Jimmy Lewis Destroyer, 7’7” x 29” at 100 ltrs. Absoulutely exactly what I was looking for. Nice full nose coming back to pin tail. This will be my main got to board as it should handle any conditions we get here in FL. It has a nice flat deck, comfy looking pad, weighs nothing and the fit and finish of everything is absolutley amazing. Not only did I want the dimensions of this board but also wanted the bomber construction these boards have a reputation for. Military guy and definetly on a budget, this is the first board I have bought brand new and I had to buy it sight unseen so I was very nervous. But after everything I could not be happier and look forward to many fun years with her!

Milsurf

How did you go about ordering the destroyer and getting it shipped? The Canadian JL distributor is closing shop. The JL website doesn’t list the board.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2019, 04:46:17 PM »
So after some back and forth with Jimmy and a much anticipated wait I have recieved my new board! Jimmy Lewis Destroyer, 7’7” x 29” at 100 ltrs. Absoulutely exactly what I was looking for. Nice full nose coming back to pin tail. This will be my main got to board as it should handle any conditions we get here in FL. It has a nice flat deck, comfy looking pad, weighs nothing and the fit and finish of everything is absolutley amazing. Not only did I want the dimensions of this board but also wanted the bomber construction these boards have a reputation for. Military guy and definetly on a budget, this is the first board I have bought brand new and I had to buy it sight unseen so I was very nervous. But after everything I could not be happier and look forward to many fun years with her!

Milsurf

How did you go about ordering the destroyer and getting it shipped? The Canadian JL distributor is closing shop. The JL website doesn’t list the board.

Cheers

Bob
Bob,  I emailed Jimmy directly he’s very good at replying.  His son Marlon is hopefully getting my Destroyer ready for shipping.  Info@jimmylewis.com
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2019, 05:53:26 PM »
Thanks LB,

The Destroyer is a board that I am interested in. There are too many empty spots on my board rack as I have moved two boards on to new homes the past few months. Looking for a short “high volume board”  and a 9’ nose rider but in no hurry until I find the right boards. The 7’7” 100 l Destroyer would fit the short board role I think.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2019, 07:04:58 PM »
FRP- just like LB said, went straight through Jimmy (how cool is that!). Email back and forth with a legend, no big deal. Pretty cool talking to him I sent him a pic of my first big purchase, a Kinetic windsurfing board circa 1995. I mowed a shitload of lawns and shoveled snow of many driveways to save up for that board. He was a part of that board and decades later a part of my new ride. Truly a good guy to work with and makes forking over money to a guy who you can trust much easier.

The board breaks traditional rules of volume to weight. I had a KM 8’6” x 29 @107 ltrs. Super tippy! Very hard to stand on and paddle around a lineup. Awesome board on a wave but shit construction, gave to my son to beat up. Bought a few of them super cheap when going out of business and sold all the others making mine free and I still didn’t like it. Went to the Shroom at 7’9” same volume, much easier to paddle. Stable and the best most comfortable deck I’ve ever been on. Sold just because it was a specific board for mushy, crap waves. There it excelled but on a decent day or a once the wave had any shape to it it sucked. Wide tail, boxy shape was just not a one board solution for me.

I started looking for exact shape/ philosophy of the Destroyer before Jimmy had it out. Shorter, lower volume, spoon nose, pin tail, bomb proof. Tried a few custom shapers who were willing to try it it(at my expense). Another too busy with foiling to make(DW). Did not like the idea of shelling out 1500-2000 bucks for someone to give it a shot. Plus most customs are making simple surfboard construction, glass over foam, but at SUP prices.

In comes the Destroyer on the Seabreeze. Holy shit, just what I was looking for! Made by Jimmy, highly endorsed by his Australian distributor(amazing surfer, loads of experience and best board he has ever surfed). I emailed both, figured out design, shipping, price, etc. and got mine in Florida. Could not be happier!

This board is unlike anything out there and should be on anybody’s radar if looking for new board. Truly a one board quiver and go small! Very stable for size.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:07:50 PM by Mil-Surf »
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 04:05:38 AM »
I liked the looks of the Destroyer from the start but my target volume is around 100 to 110 and at my age I doubt I could ride the 7'7 or 8'0 except on the cleanest days. None of the lengths and volumes fit me.

I like what Jimmy did with the Super Frank offering two volumes and widths for each length. My 7'6 x 31 is plenty stable and 115 liters is not overly floaty for me at 175 lbs. Companies need to do this more often because many riders under 190 pounds always seem to get left out of the picture when going small and narrow is not an option.

The 8'5 or 8'10 Destroyer would be perfect at 100 - 115 liters. This would also allow for a flat deck.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 04:31:22 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2019, 06:00:33 AM »
i dont like thick boards, and i dont like boards wider than 29.5 or maybe 30", on the steep beachbreak i ride closest to home

and im 6'2" 190lbs

so i gotta have some length to get the volume i need under my tired 60yo fatass

i am dialed in with my creek 8'7" @ 115 ltrs, after a bit of struggle with exhaustion at the 90 min mark of a session (I now go 3 hrs with no prob most of the way), but i have finally found a bit of zen with this size---shorter @<29"w would certainly be more fun on the wave, but the concession in positioning ability and endurance would not be worth it

creek 8"7" hits my spot spot on--it's prolly mostly the dimensions, but also a bit about the details of the shape---best part? much as I am comfortable that ive found my best size for surfing, the board is not remotely holding me back--my surfing continually improves--now way better than i ever surfed prone some 25-45 years ago

short and wide--tho fun on mushers--just wont work on the jacky shorebreak i enjoy most of the time

of course ill be riding a rocky point somewhere in new england---softy of a right that peels---fri morning

fingers crossed

and re the thread--board looks beautiful--dome? nah--from your pics, it's actually nice and flat, compared to many-my starby is pitched as having a flat deck--your JL looks similar--if i hadnt just done a blowout/requiver, id be looking very closely at this board--the weight/volume is most impressive, and jimmy is one of a few legend shapers i'd certainly trust--and his shaping videos are excellent--if anyone has one of these boards in the northeast id love to water-swap my creek portal or starby some day

now can we pls have some decent surf in the northeast for chrissakes--like fri/sat
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2019, 06:56:44 PM »
i dont like thick boards, and i dont like boards wider than 29.5 or maybe 30", on the steep beachbreak i ride closest to home

and im 6'2" 190lbs

so i gotta have some length to get the volume i need under my tired 60yo fatass

i am dialed in with my creek 8'7" @ 115 ltrs, after a bit of struggle with exhaustion at the 90 min mark of a session (I now go 3 hrs with no prob most of the way), but i have finally found a bit of zen with this size---shorter @<29"w would certainly be more fun on the wave, but the concession in positioning ability and endurance would not be worth it

creek 8"7" hits my spot spot on--it's prolly mostly the dimensions, but also a bit about the details of the shape---best part? much as I am comfortable that ive found my best size for surfing, the board is not remotely holding me back--my surfing continually improves--now way better than i ever surfed prone some 25-45 years ago

short and wide--tho fun on mushers--just wont work on the jacky shorebreak i enjoy most of the time

of course ill be riding a rocky point somewhere in new england---softy of a right that peels---fri morning

fingers crossed

and re the thread--board looks beautiful--dome? nah--from your pics, it's actually nice and flat, compared to many-my starby is pitched as having a flat deck--your JL looks similar--if i hadnt just done a blowout/requiver, id be looking very closely at this board--the weight/volume is most impressive, and jimmy is one of a few legend shapers i'd certainly trust--and his shaping videos are excellent--if anyone has one of these boards in the northeast id love to water-swap my creek portal or starby some day

now can we pls have some decent surf in the northeast for chrissakes--like fri/sat
6'2 and 190 doesn't sound like a "fatass" to me.  Sounds lean and mean.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2019, 06:52:58 AM »
Good report and thread Mil-Surf!
Always nice to find the right board and have it arrive in perfect shape  :)

Nice pics of you ripping it up in some Fla waves!
Enjoy many fun sessions on it... and keep taking pictures.

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2021, 09:07:33 AM »
if anyone has one of these boards in the northeast id love to water-swap my creek portal or starby some day
I am on the Destroyer 8'5 and would be up for a swaparoo some day. I'm in Newburyport. Shoot me a msg if you wanna make it happen. I've always wanted to hop on a Creek. I'm 5'11 and 190lbs but I've never been on anything shorter or less volume than this 8'5 @ 130L.
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal