Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis Destroyer  (Read 30098 times)

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 03:49:04 PM »
I’ve had the Destroyer out now quite a bit and absolutely love the thing. Stable, fast, easy to paddle, plenty of glide and rips turns, absolutely beautiful paint job and bomb proof. Seriously, what else do you need in a board? Little waves to head high, this thing is a do it all board for sure. Bought based on comments from the Seabreeze, the Australian JL distributor raves about this board. Calls it the best board he’s ever ridden and he has been professionally surfing about as long as I have been alive. Of course being the distributor I was a bit skeptical but now after being on it for awhile I believe the hype. Jimmy killed it with this board.

Im 185-190lbs and its only 100 ltrs. Nervous I went too small when I ordered it, I am so glad I went with the 7’7”. I have no trouble paddling the lineup or getting into waves. If you are considering a Destroyer, don't be scared to go small. Only thing I can even consider a con to the board is the ever so slight dome in the deck. After a 5 hour surf marathon last weekend, it was bothering my knee a little. Not really a fault of the board I guess, just my bum knee.

Running it right now as a thruster to take advantage of that beautiful pin tail, you will need to buy a new fin set at this size. Came with fins more suited for a bigger board. I’m running a Futures F6 center and True Ames 4.6” Side bites and have no reason to change anything up right now. Plenty of speed, excellent tracking and ripping through turns with this set-up.

Looking forward to many fun years with her!
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 10:36:20 PM »
Thanks for the review--looks awesome and the size sounds perfect!  What finish did you get on the board with it coming in at 14.1 lbs?

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 03:38:16 AM »
switch!

nice.....
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 04:36:31 AM »
Standard sandwich construction. Not sure they are available in carbon construction yet.
Eastbound-I always surf switch stance going left. Always frontside for me, never really figured out backside. I’d say I’m more comfortable regular foot but much better goofy foot than going backside. I guess my windsurfing background makes it more natural
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 06:56:59 AM »
Oh man, I was all set to purchase an 8’10 Destroyer and you mentioned the domed deck!  I’m not a fan and I guess from pics I didn’t pick that up.  Reviews from the other site no one mentions it.  Thanks for the review.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 07:35:36 AM »
Thanks for the review!  Looks like fun. 
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 07:57:09 AM »
i am regular footed but often drop lefts switch---sometimes ill hold goofy (frontside) for a while, then revert to regular, for style points--but i usually go to regular foot as i begin the drop--i surf way better regular---but when i am paddling in to lefts, switch (goofy) often lets me see the wave and set up better

looks/sounds like you surf equally well either side---which is cool, tho given i came up surfing mostly backside, i find it equally enjoyable to front, and might miss it if i evolved to surfing frontside on both lefts and rights
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
Nice review AND review.

Mil - could you please post a profile shot of the nose that shows what amount of nose rocker it has?  Thx!
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 02:44:03 PM »
Oh man, I was all set to purchase an 8’10 Destroyer and you mentioned the domed deck!  I’m not a fan and I guess from pics I didn’t pick that up.  Reviews from the other site no one mentions it.  Thanks for the review.

The domed deck looks very subtle to me. I doubt it detracts from the performance much. The problem with the Destroyer are the high volumes in the bigger sizes which force lighter riders like us to go small and narrow if we want the correct volume for our weight.

The 8'10 would have way too much float for you. It's designed for riders well over 200 pounds.

Don't confuse volume with stability. Having the correct volume for your weight actually adds stability because the board is cradled more by the water. Ultimately, you want the deck pad to be level with the surface of the water or close to it. Too much volume hinders performance.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 03:40:49 PM »

The domed deck looks very subtle to me. I doubt it detracts from the performance much. The problem with the Destroyer are the high volumes in the bigger sizes which force lighter riders like us to go small and narrow if we want the correct volume for our weight.

The 8'10 would have way too much float for you. It's designed for riders well over 200 pounds.

Don't confuse volume with stability. Having the correct volume for your weight actually adds stability because the board is cradled more by the water. Ultimately, you want the deck pad to be level with the surface of the water or close to it. Too much volume hinders performance.
I do agree it looks subtle but I’m not worried about its performance more about my knees feeling it.  And yes I have this psychological weirdness with volume but from experience I prefer to go bigger despite losing performance.  Plus I’m 205 without a wetsuit so I think I’ll be fine.  I went with the largest super frank and couldn’t be happier.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 03:45:24 PM »

I do agree it looks subtle but I’m not worried about its performance more about my knees feeling it.  And yes I have this psychological weirdness with volume but from experience I prefer to go bigger despite losing performance.  Plus I’m 205 without a wetsuit so I think I’ll be fine.  I went with the largest super frank and couldn’t be happier.

Oh, sorry. For some reason I thought you were 180. Never mind what I said. At 205 you should be fine.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2019, 04:04:32 PM »

I can't wait for my new demo board....errrr i mean your new destroyer to come in @LB  ;) ;)

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »

I can't wait for my new demo board....errrr i mean your new destroyer to come in @LB  ;) ;)
Haha, anytime NJS! I’ll let you know.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2019, 04:45:34 PM »
The deck does have a very, very subtle dome to it. I only notice it because of my crap knee and only after a few hours. Hopefully the pics show the deck and nose rocker.
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 05:41:00 PM »
Thanks for posting those last pics.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal