Author Topic: Come Surf the Outer Banks and bring your yellow board  (Read 6141 times)

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Come Surf the Outer Banks and bring your yellow board
« on: June 21, 2019, 07:24:22 AM »
Watch the news clip, it's lightly informative, amusing and a warning. The link to the article is a short summation of what a bit of searching will reveal. Note:there are contrary opinions out there, but we might as well take an "all of the above" approach to safety. 

https://www.wnct.com/news/local-news/overpopulation-of-sharks-in-north-carolina-waters/2082435036?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WNCT-TV&fbclid=IwAR2WTCx9PhkGjs4Bbpg3bOlnOxRuh1IyidUzJJAPi_8_JybpQg0Jo8Cew7Y

https://www.adventuresportsnetwork.com/transworld-business/the-yum-yum-yellow-debate-do-sharks-like-the-color-yellow/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Come Surf the Outer Banks and bring your yellow board
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 07:38:01 AM »
I've always wanted to. I was stationed in Norfolk for a while while I was in the Navy. I had a motorcycle and spent all my free time on the outer banks. A long ride to get there, a hundred miles each way, but so worth it. It's on my bucket list to surf it, but it will probably be on a foil board--which looks like the door to a mexican restaurant. I wonder if sharks like a nice leg taco.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 08:07:23 AM »
Not that I don't think about it, but I just don't think about it. They are there. They have always been there. I've been in the ocean floating /swimming / surfing probably over a thousand times and only seen a shark maybe 5 times? I'm sure they've seen me more... This was last week.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/06/20/shark-jumps-out-of-water-near-surfers-during-contest-at-lower-trestles-was-it-just-itchy/
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »
Not that I don't think about it, but I just don't think about it. They are there. They have always been there. I've been in the ocean floating /swimming / surfing probably over a thousand times and only seen a shark maybe 5 times? I'm sure they've seen me more... This was last week.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/06/20/shark-jumps-out-of-water-near-surfers-during-contest-at-lower-trestles-was-it-just-itchy/

I used to see sharks jumping like that all the time while surfing/paddling at Jacksonville. All that means is that (news flash!) they're present. Some sharks jump. Some do not.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 06:13:24 PM »
Dislike sharks. Like yellow boards.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 04:29:07 AM »
They are always happy to see me  :)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 04:59:23 AM »
CREEK,

You need a bigger board with "Those Guys" Around!!!

Be careful

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 08:56:23 AM »
"I'll distract that guy with a spectacular leap while you jump him from behind" ;D

That sequence is cool as hell Rick, did you use a SoloShot?

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 05:02:58 PM »
Guessin' SOLOSHOT frame grabs cropped and stitched in Photoshop. You can make out the seams if you look closely. Nice work! I'd probably be paddling in the opposite direction!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 05:34:59 PM »
Guessin' SOLOSHOT frame grabs cropped and stitched in Photoshop. You can make out the seams if you look closely. Nice work! I'd probably be paddling in the opposite direction!

Good forensic work Cookie. For me the tell was in the blue dot :D
in progress...

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 05:49:08 PM »
Correcto mundo Bean and cookieman!
But no photoshop, I just double click any photo on the desktop and use the tools that come with "preview" on Mac's

That was in Florida last winter, soloshot3 caught the jump nicely.
Didn't really think about it at the time..... the only time I left the water, was when a bull started dogging me on a really choppy day. Screw those dudes!

I see lots of interesting things when reviewing the video... most of which I never notice when I am surfing.
My focal point is probably much further out than the stuff that swims closer to me.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 05:54:35 PM »
I guess this group of longboard legends (of the time period) were very lucky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eupAE0YSp-Y

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 08:55:40 PM »
No luck involved really. It's a big ocean, they generally know what they like to eat--they've been doing it for 450 million years--ten times longer than there have been hominids. They're pretty good at it. Sometimes they make mistakes. Sometimes people win the lottery. Same, same, only you don't get money.

I have never bought a lottery ticket. I don't worry about sharks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 09:05:32 AM »
The yellow thing sounds like a myth to me.  What makes more sense as an attraction is the contrast of white legs and arms against the water (for swimmers).  If a shark bit my leg, it would have a tasty morsel.

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 04:20:26 AM »
Here's an article by George Burgess, University of Florida, Florida Museum of Natural History, and Director of the International Shark Attack File. He has interviewed almost every shark attack survivor.
   It's informative and kind of an "all of the above" approach to lessening the chances of a bad encounter.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/researcher-says-tattoos-certain-nail-polish-yellow-bathing-suits-attract-sharks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal