Author Topic: The end of the beginning - SPG Wings (photo heavy post)  (Read 106546 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The end of the beginning - SPG Wings (photo heavy post)
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2019, 07:12:14 AM »
This is the major offender for air quality (besides several tons of pollen being propelled by 35 mph winds). No, that isn't a cloud, and this morning it's just a general blankness to the north. Can't see Mt. Adams at all.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2019, 03:36:02 PM »
We all had a fantastic day today.  Two sessions and steadily increasing wind.  I started on my 5 SPG and Chan started on the 4.  It quickly blew through those sizes so I took the 4 and headed back out.  I grabbed Chan's board for the first time and took it out.  Man, I didn't want to give it back.  It is 5'10 by 25 wide and it is super light and nimble.  The knee start is very doable but it does take a little care in positioning.  There is really only one right spot for everything.  Her foil was too small for me and her (one) footstrap was adjusted too tight but it was all very workable.  I am sold on foots straps and Chan is loving hers.  I am going to put both footstraps back on both boards.  I think I see a foil/strap position combo that should work. With my foil on that little board I think this is a great next step.  The only downside it that it is tough to do a mercy jibe on it.  That is going to take some practice.  I was one for three and it was ugly.

Onward...

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2019, 06:57:34 PM »
Hey Admin
Wondering about your dual strut wings.
In my head I understand holding the upper strut as it should give you a more wing stable. But, does does holding the upper sacrifice power if compared to a comparable sized single strut?
 2. Do you ever use (hold on to going in one direction) the bottom sturt? If so what condition would you want to hold on to the bottom one?
 Oh yah wait one more. Do you ever mix up holing one hand on top and one on the bottom?

One for Bill, what am I looking at in your offending air quality photo?
I'm guessing it has something to do with why Julie can't breath...
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2019, 07:55:04 PM »
See that big cloud behind the mountains? It's not a cloud, it's a fire.

Yeah, today was fun. A little too nuts at Mosier. I was getting up on my Axis foil with the 3M wing and making it most of the way across the river, which feels great, but I was on the edge of control most of the time, even though I didn't crash. Coordinating the wing and foil at mach 3 is a lot. I've been defaulting to putting the wing up in a neutral position once I get the foil going good, and only adding power if I start slowing down.

Coming back on the starboard side sucked, I still can't waterstart on that side==I need to work on that. And I got up on the foil a few times but wound up going downwind at high speed with the nose of the board up. I don't know what I'm doing wrong other than my switchfoot control of the foil is not great. The general wind was good but the gusts were consistently over 40, so it was kind of freaky.

I pulled up stakes and joined Admin and Chan at Rowena, which was good because the wind was good and the swells were smaller. iWindsurf shows it at 20-25 with the wind building all day. There were some substantial lulls, but in general I was powered up on my 4M and able to foil on port tacks, did a little better on starboard.

Went back to my shop and worked on my Battery Test Container. It's pretty much ready for primetime. I just need to install some kind of load. Give the temperature inside the container I think that will be the old air conditioner from Fritz.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 08:13:50 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2019, 11:44:08 PM »
Coming back on the starboard side sucked, I still can't waterstart on that side==I need to work on that.

Do you mean a windsurf style waterstart?

I want to get a smaller board but getting up from the knees is going to be hard....

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2019, 03:10:59 AM »
Hey Admin
Wondering about your dual strut wings.
In my head I understand holding the upper strut as it should give you a more wing stable. But, does does holding the upper sacrifice power if compared to a comparable sized single strut?
 2. Do you ever use (hold on to going in one direction) the bottom sturt? If so what condition would you want to hold on to the bottom one?
 Oh yah wait one more. Do you ever mix up holing one hand on top and one on the bottom?

One for Bill, what am I looking at in your offending air quality photo?
I'm guessing it has something to do with why Julie can't breath...

Hi Fish,

I hold the top strut at all times.  This effectively puts just a bit more area below that strut than above it.  The effect of this is that the wind will set the wing at a really comfortable and natural angle.  When I held the Naish (for instance) it wanted to drop on me where my SPG just lifts up a bit.  The only time that I use both simultaneously is during a Jibe (and just for the hand pass).  I initiate the turn with a little sheet down, let go with my back hand, pull my font hand up above my front ear just over my head, as the board comes around I take my free hand and put it on the other strut using the handle just below the one for my old forward hand. I let go with the original hand and pull the new front hand across my chest (still overhead) and out in front and above that new front shoulder.  Dual Strut is really advantageous here because you are eventually looking to put your front hand exactly where the old one was.  Dual strut means that that position is always open so it keeps the handwork very clean and obvious. 

I have M.S. and my funky nerves don't do anything well that isn't already in muscle memory.  I am not an on the spot guy anymore.  If it seems like I grind these minute steps that is because I do.  It is the only way I can get my body to cooperate.  I have become a method man.  :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:07:02 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2019, 03:24:48 AM »
I want to get a smaller board but getting up from the knees is going to be hard....

If that is your goal (it is mine, so I am writing this in part as encouragement to myself) I would suggest to start on a foilboard and learn the knee start really well.  Focus on wing lift pulling you up smoothly as opposed to just standing from your knees (that is much less of an option on a smaller board).  When it is working well it requires almost no leg strength.  Even a floaty foilboard will feel small and challenging.  That is good.  You will fall off of your knees a lot (I didn't even know that was a thing).  There are a lot of microskills to be learned from that which will help you with all aspects of gear control.  Once that is solid, I would move down in board size to the point where you are uncomfortable again.  That will become comfortable too.  Then do it again.  I think it is good to get this started right away.   It will test you humility :) but it is fun and challenging.  I hope the resale market is good on foilboards or I am going to need to build a shed :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:10:08 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2019, 08:12:17 AM »
Coming back on the starboard side sucked, I still can't waterstart on that side==I need to work on that.

Do you mean a windsurf style waterstart?

No, just the on the knees waterstart. You'd think it would be the same to both sides, but my knees are toast and I have a hard time getting my foot forward. Once I do I can get up easily, but doing it switchfoot is much harder. My feet wind up in the wrong position. Just something I need to work out. This is a lot harder than windsurfing was when I learned it back in the 80's. Of course, back then I was in my 40's, not in my 70's.

Right now the biggest problem I have is that once I'm up on the foil I need to pay attention to both the foil and the wing. The easiest conditions for me to get up, since I don't have a 5M wing, is when it's blowing like stink, which generally means gusts and turbulence, so easier to get up, more attention needed for the wing. I'm getting there, and I'm enjoying the process. It's very rewarding to do something that's hard for me but yields steady progress. Making it across our one-mile-wide river up on the foil and flying is a huge thrill. Now if I can just get to drive instead of being the passenger. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal