Author Topic: The end of the beginning - SPG Wings (photo heavy post)  (Read 106540 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: The end of the beginning - SPG Wings (photo heavy post)
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2019, 03:44:34 PM »
Thanks Admin. and Burchas. And to everyone else who has answered my questions and is helping me to sort through all this.

Burchas, one more question. I’ve looked and found a lot of information about the F-One, but I haven’t found any pictures of the size of the wing packed up. I like the way Admin’s SPG packs up so small, and wondered what the F-One looks like packed up. Any chance you could post a picture of your wing packed up, or failing that just give me a rough idea of what size it packs down to?
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2019, 05:08:21 AM »
He also tried the F One wing a few days ago, that has some promising features including what I guess would be called a gore that attaches the inflated strut to the wing. That allows the wing to form a nice foil shape in the middle instead of being directly connected to a spar that's flat. I like the looks of it so much I'm thinking of adding it to my Duotone wing, which sometimes goes the other way--bagging into an inefficient shape in strong wind unless it's outhauled hard. Attaching the gore to the boom without interfering with hand positions will be a trick I'm thinking a few velcro tabs that wrap around the boom would both free up most of the boom for any hand position and allow some shape adjustment.

You can see the gore and the overall improvement it makes to the foil shape in the middle of the wing in this video. Isolating air movement between the top and bottom wing might offer stability benefits as well.

The Duotone wing doesn't get flattened in the middle by the boom, but it does bag.

I think you are meaning what is called a "Luff Strut".  DW brought that info here:  https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34671.msg398882.html#msg398882  This was news to me but it is a good name for it :).  He mentioned that this a Naish feature from kites.  SPG uses this on their wings as well.  It is on both struts of course.  The cut of that material determines the realized shape of the wing.  On the SPG you can control the powering and relaxing of that extra material with sheeting motion.  This helps a lot with managing gusts.  A little push up on the sheet hand reduces pull and little down and you are at full power again.  I know that I would miss that if it were not there. 

You can see the shape of SPG's luff strut above the strut at :06 in this vid:

https://youtu.be/pUJrd36rNwo
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 05:42:52 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2019, 05:58:47 AM »
Interestingly, Naish didn't use a luff Strut on their wing (or possibly it is just reduced in comparison to the others).  I believe this is why the draft on the Naish felt further back to me.  Here are some images showing the SPG, F-one and Naish approaches.  I added Duotone as well showing their approach.  As they don't use struts the battens (in part) are determining shape.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 08:49:03 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2019, 06:06:32 AM »
I’m confused by what I’m seeing on the F-One. Is there a panel on each side of the center strut? Wouldn’t it trap water?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2019, 06:23:13 AM »
I’m confused by what I’m seeing on the F-One. Is there a panel on each side of the center strut? Wouldn’t it trap water?

They have a 3D function on their site which shows it really well.  It is a single deal.  Here is an image.  It also shows a harness strap which is in a different configuration than on the SPG.  It looks like F-one did a lot of great stuff with the possible exception of the handles.  That ends up being a critical feature.  I wonder if we wont see some modularity there in the future. 

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »
The Slingwing is also getting a great looking profile.  It looks like they are getting there using strut shaping as opposed to a luff strut. 

This video shows it very well.

https://youtu.be/d2LYjCYdD7s

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2019, 05:20:03 AM »
Nathan Van Vuuren getting into some nice waves on his SPG:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B00Yj_In8Fb/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2019, 09:31:06 AM »
Thanks Admin. and Burchas. And to everyone else who has answered my questions and is helping me to sort through all this.

Burchas, one more question. I’ve looked and found a lot of information about the F-One, but I haven’t found any pictures of the size of the wing packed up. I like the way Admin’s SPG packs up so small, and wondered what the F-One looks like packed up. Any chance you could post a picture of your wing packed up, or failing that just give me a rough idea of what size it packs down to?

Here are the pictures for the packaged F-One Swing along side its bag (which unfortunately doesn't come with the color of the actual wing unless you have the Red one).

I don't really need the bag when packing the wing in my gear bag but probably good to have if you want to keep it in the trunk for "on the fly" (pun intended :D) excursions

The wing packs 10"x15"x6"
in progress...

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2019, 11:09:28 AM »
Hey burchas,

How durable  does that F1 feel.  I heard they are light but the person I talked with was questioning the longevity of it.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »
Hey burchas,

How durable  does that F1 feel.  I heard they are light but the person I talked with was questioning the longevity of it.

I can only say it felt similar to other wings. That said, the Slingwing definitely felt more durable though considerably heavier, but I'm no expert on construction.

For my use case I don't foresee any issues with that wing but only time will tell.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 03:00:41 PM by burchas »
in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2019, 03:42:47 PM »

Here are the pictures for the packaged F-One Swing along side its bag (which unfortunately doesn't come with the color of the actual wing unless you have the Red one).

I don't really need the bag when packing the wing in my gear bag but probably good to have if you want to keep it in the trunk for "on the fly" (pun intended :D) excursions

The wing packs 10"x15"x6"

Thanks Burchas. I didn't realize they would pack down that small. Good to know.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »
I got pretty much blown off the water today. Out at Luhr Jensen on my 3M and Axis 1020. Fully powered up right from the start, and monster breaking swells in the middle of the river with gusts that were insane. I was up on my foil instantly on a port tack, and made it all the way across the river--first time ever. I also did a few runs that culminated in out of control face plants from high altitude. Big sissy.

On the starboard tack I didn't do so well. I'm still having trouble with the water starts in that direction--my bad knee isn't helping. But mostly I have a bit of a mental block I think. I need to work that out. It's easier for me to start on a port tack and then do a non-foiling jibe and hop to switchfoot than to get up switchfoot. Big sissy.

The wind kept building and I had some very out of control foiling adventures, one of which nearly landed me on my front wing. I decided that was enough and bailed. On the water at 1:30, off by 3:30. Big sissy.

Mmmm, 42 MPH gusts. Maybe I'm not such a big sissy.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2019, 04:49:21 PM »
Hey Bill, I was super lit on my 3m too.....not

Day one with a wing for me.

https://youtu.be/55ewxWvZ96M
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 05:27:13 PM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2019, 04:52:54 PM »
Yeah, it was a lot like that only three times as much wind.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2019, 05:39:53 AM »
I had a blast at the hatchery riding up and down to swell on a 2m fully depowered as much as I could out haul it!   Ken was on a 3m because we only had one 2m here. I didn’t want to stop, it was kamikaze downwind flying fun.  I felt like a bird.  People don’t understand the joy of flying with the wave power straight downwind.  I can turn, sure and ride river “waves” (I am from Maui) but this is a different thrill.  However, my nose is awful.  2 days and I can’t breathe and can’t sleep.  Any advice?  I forgot how bad it can get.
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal