Author Topic: The end of the beginning - SPG Wings (photo heavy post)  (Read 106538 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The end of the beginning - SPG Wings (photo heavy post)
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2019, 08:45:08 AM »
The big question is "is it fun", and I can say that so far it definitely is--even at the flopping around level.

Any watersport looks stupid if you disassemble the bits. Going back and forth across a river at great expense with complicated equipment, with no particular aim is definitely goofy. Add to that it gets boring quickly so you have to start adding increasingly complex tricks to maintain a challenge level.

Downwinding you are theoretically going somewhere, but not to any purpose. Same issue. Years of refinement to master something of no value or purpose. Surfing is even worse.

We do all this stuff because we like to. That's the reason why someone saying "you're doing the wrong thing because you aren't doing what I do" is close to the stupidest thing one human can say to another. "My completely idiotic pastime is better than your totally ridiculous pastime because it's more traditional stupidity." The stuff we're doing has absolutely no purpose, no justification other than that we want to do it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 08:48:17 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ridewind

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2019, 03:52:03 PM »
Surf winging strapped

https://youtu.be/HyiGAbdRGTQ

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2019, 04:22:08 PM »
My guess is that they had a 3 or 4 meter wing and a 1500'ish foil for full sized guys.
I think I remember hearing "4 meter", but don't know what wingthing it was, or the foils and/or boards they were on...and yes, I'd say that they could all be considered "full sized guys"...meant in the most complimentary of ways.  ;D

Naish (for instance) in their early videos was suggesting a 1500 foil wing and they only produce a 4 Meter wing.  A 5 meter wing with a Maliko 200 (2000) will foil a 165 lb (new) rider in 15 mph and likely much less wind with a skilled rider.
I don't know about the wind speed or overall conditions, other than we were told it was enough wind, that these experienced SUP foilers were having a tough time coordinating everything to try to paddle up wind dragging the wingythingy behind them, and that hitching a ride upwind in a boat when they could was what a couple were doing in order to make it easier on themselves...both in getting upwind where they needed to be, and then trying to learn with the thing going downwind.

Riders that can already foil will probably pick it up quickly.
Yeah, that's what all of these really experienced foilers, kiters, SUPers, surfers, OCers, and just plain ol' watermen thought ahead of time also as the story went. But that's not the feeling they came away with after their couple days experience with them. But in all honesty, they also didn't just devote all of their time to playing with the new wingythingies...they were there for other water/wind sports as well as what it sounded like.

The rest of us still have the foil curve ahead of us.  I think that that will be pretty substantial.  But, if you have a high humiliation tolerance and can stand onlookers with that "I'm sorry for you" or "were you having a seizure out there?" look on their faces, you will be having a blast.
Yep, I believe that pretty much covers it...and I think the "high humiliation tolerance" was something these guys might not have been accustomed to, and probably at least one of the reasons the stories went as they did.  :-[  :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 04:24:33 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2019, 04:12:32 AM »
Yep, I believe that pretty much covers it...and I think the "high humiliation tolerance" was something these guys might not have been accustomed to, and probably at least one of the reasons the stories went as they did.  :-[  :D

There is a lot to focus on.  I am finding it really challenging and we are both wiped after a few hours.  There may be someone new who simply jumps on and goes but that has not been our experience.  The hardest part for me is getting into position (standing, wing in hand, feet in position).  In a world of triple back flips, 200 foot gap jumps and off the lip push loops, getting up from your knees is not going to be viewed as the pinnacle of sport.  But, you still have to get it down.  Each step after that is starting to feel more familiar now and I see a path of progression on the actual riding and foiling.  I am still struggling with the getup.  I am kind of a worst case scenario in that department as my legs don't always do what their told.  I find myself yelling orders to them on the water (and occasionally berating them a little bit).  I am sure that adds to my cool.  The upside is that once you are up and riding you really don't have to be nimble on your feet.  I love that.  I hope it goes: riding improves=less crashes=less getups=less fatigue (repeated getups are exhausting)=riding improves. Yesterday, we both had our most prolonged foil yet.  Still beginner stages but progress.  That was day 6.  I hope that in a month of days my getup will be easier and I will be able to do basic full reaches on the foil.  Good to have goals :).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 04:26:02 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2019, 03:32:59 AM »
We had a day at Roosevelt yesterday with mild wind and really nice water.  We downsized our foils to the Iwa (me) and Kai (Chan).  That changes things a lot.  No fighting unintentional foiling.  This allows you to set up and feel where the foil is and really get your stance dialed in.  We both felt like we did that.  The downside was that the wind quickly dropped off and we didn't have the push to get us foiling.  I think we would have been on the larger foils.  On the upside we sailed a dozen or so mile long non foiling reaches.  We practiced pumping to foil lot :) and ended up at our start point.  That is two days in a row so we are optimistically calling ourselves pointers. 

Slow progress>No progress!

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2019, 05:07:38 AM »
What exactly is your board and foil setup?  After this much trying, I would go behind a boat or jetski to see if you are even using the right gear for you.  It’s very complicated to find the best gear for the individual.   With hydrofoiling, it’s really easy when you find the correct feet positions.  Once you know where your front foot goes, you never deviate.   Usually the front foot is more forward and centerlined and back foot over the hydrofoil centerlined.  It’s not a windsurfing stance, it’s wider and more forward and centerlined.  There are so many foil variables.  The bigger front wing is way easier to get flying, and of course too big can have disadvantages too, so behind a boat you can find your foot placement and test out different hydrofoil sizes with boat speeds.  The longer 80cm fuselage is really helpful too and I bet you don’t have that. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 05:15:00 AM by Julie_Scheyer »
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2019, 09:06:34 AM »
This should help you see some stances for waves in the gorge PV John Laptad Hatchery 7/4/19
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:34:19 AM by Julie_Scheyer »
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »
@admin you will probably delete because you don’t like photos of Duotone but this should help you see some stances for waves in the gorge PV John Laptad Hatchery 7/4/19

Hi Julie,

We own a Duotone and we have two more prepaid for at Big Winds :).  I have posted numerous videos and photos including Duotone gear.  Please reread the emails I have sent you.  Here is a snip:

Hi Julie,

I am stoked that you are loving the wing and you are indeed welcome on the Zone.

Here are our posted site rules:  https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,18427.0.html

Riders that are not paying for gear or have a similar association are typically considered brand ambassadors or team riders.  This includes family of sponsored riders, etc. (which has been an issue in the past).  Typically, team riders and brand ambassadors are asked not to post any brand related information unless the brand they are affiliated with is a site sponsor.  As I mentioned, due to the newness of the sport and the new area on our site, we are allowing some latitude for a while.  All brand associated users asked to put that in their profile.  That allows everyone to know the associations involved and helps keep the site obvious and useful.  Please add Duotone Ambassador to you profile in the place of the other rental link.  Thanks!

As you have let me know that Ken Winner is your husband and you are getting your wings from him it is reasonable to ask that you identify yourself to allow others to understand that connection.  As noted from the outset this is a temporary exception to our posted rules.  This is intended to promote participation, not marketing.  Posts that are deemed to cross that line will be removed.   
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:49:25 AM by Admin »

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2019, 09:32:58 AM »
I updated my profile before I posted.  See “duotone rider”. Oh and I do have to pay for gear :)

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »
Hey Admin,
Any news on the Next Duotone batch? Hate to keep bugging T.J-kinda have given up. I missed the first batch because I wanted the 5m. Only one was sent.
Cheers

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2019, 10:19:05 AM »
Hey Admin,
Any news on the Next Duotone batch? Hate to keep bugging T.J-kinda have given up. I missed the first batch because I wanted the 5m. Only one was sent.
Cheers

No updates, sir.  I was # 12 on the original list from way back when.  We have a family full of riders so we need more gear!  We are also, sadly, down a 4 Meter SPG (which we believe is now a hobo's home - please call if you see anyone calling a Black & White SPG 4 meter "home" :) ).  I am going to get a replacement 4 from SPG as soon as those are available.  We currently have 3 Meter and 5 meter which is a bit limiting (but we are stoked to have something to work with).   

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2019, 04:38:08 AM »
Day 8 was a good one.  We are feeling pretty comfortable on the boards in chop and current now.  Getups are getting more consistent, schlogging around is more comfortable and the foil attempts more controlled.  It was a little light but there were still plenty of moments.  Making jibes (even ugly ones) helps save a lot of energy.  I had my board leash fail (weird) and got to do a little mid river self rescue with the wing.  That is pretty straight forward.  Didn't end the sesh either :)

I am finding that keeping my arms extended up and towards the nose on a reach is very helpful during the getup.  That really pulls you up and forward onto your feet and you start with board motion.  I am pretty happy with my foot placement.  Most importantly, my legs are actually doing pretty well after a half hour of cool water and I am pretty stoked about that (the first half hour had been frustrating me).  Yesterday, I took a cold dip before rigging (the activity of rigging and the heat typically ruins my coordination) and that helped a lot.  That is going to be an every day deal now.  I still needed 20 minutes on the water until I could stand well but I can live with that.  After I am cooled down I am feeling surprisingly good. 

We are having a great time and we are loving our gear now.  I really wish I had a 4 meter.  The 5 is limiting our locations a bit but I do think that it is awesome practice. 

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:43:30 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2019, 07:57:33 AM »
Well, you would have a 4m if you hadn't been so foolish in who you lent it to.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2019, 08:19:43 AM »
Well, you would have a 4m if you hadn't been so foolish in who you lent it to.

I am still not convinced of that.  I am going with it was grabbed from the car.  Not sure what happened with the leash.  It was new.  In 11 years of living on Maui I broke 3 leashes (and there was no question about why those broke).  I must have sliced and weakened this one earlier.  The wing is actually surprisingly good to get in with.  I was glad to have it because the last 20 yds where I came in was very thick with water weeds and I just float-drifted over them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 08:31:06 AM by Admin »

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2019, 08:45:15 AM »
Was it an ion waist leash?  If it was new they need to know.  I have been using mine almost daily since March.  That’s my worst fear!!!  Yesterday at the hatchery on the 2m wing overpowered, and overfoiling (I even lost my contact) I gave it a really good work out.  I’m considering getting a new one now. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal