Author Topic: Lotsa health propaganda coming for 2020  (Read 89854 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Lotsa health propaganda coming for 2020
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »
here's another opinion of mine:

Alan Dershowitz is a total POS--i always knew this, but here's a good summary---written recently, so includes the extensive history, along with all of his recent idiocy:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/08/05/alan-dershowitz-devils-advocate

i put zero stock in anything Alan Dershowitz says about anything.

and stay tuned re Alan Dershowitz--he may well get his own lil box here at MCC in NY--bet they "watch" him better
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2019, 10:54:05 AM »
the walmart "save":

guy1, legally carrying a gun, approaches guy2, who is also legally carrying a gun---gut1 says to guy2 "you look a little crazy and/or criminal to me--give me your gun"

now all these guys running around with guns makes complete sense to me!!!

But the fact is, "guy 1" was not "legally carrying a gun" - he was in the process of comitting a crime (subsequently arrested for making a terrorist threat). 

It would be like saying "guy 1" was legally driving on the busy sidewalk - because he possessed a drivers license.

I understand the point that you are trying to make but it looses validity when you make it at the expense of the truth.

And what is it that you don't like about AD?  (I don't regularly read the New Yorker anymore.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 11:18:55 AM by Bean »

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2019, 11:21:33 AM »
well no, bean, youre analogy makes no sense---not even close----

the walmart gunman was doing nil illegal--he was not remotely involved in the commission of a crime

he was observed wheeling a cart around recording video of himself---while clad in body armor, carrying a gun

he didnt express a threat beyond that implied by the gear he was carrying---perfectly legally, in fact

he did not actively point his gun at anyone or verbalize threats or anger

THIS IS ALL LEGAL ACTIVITY AS DEFINED BY MISSOURI LAW----no "crime being committed", at least as defined by Missouri law.

driving onto a pedestrian sidewalk, licensed or not, is illegal all over our country, even in Missouri!

my opinion--it's nuts to have civilians walking around with loaded deadly weapons--guy1 or guy2 or any civilian

i like trained professional law men, who are subject to our democratically enacted laws, enforcing the law, and carrying any weapons that might be required

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2019, 12:02:27 PM »

the walmart gunman was doing nil illegal--he was not remotely involved in the commission of a crime

How do you figure? 

He's currently charged with a felony and will likely plead guilty and serve a short stint in jail.  As a deterrent, the prosecutor will likely want to make this a high-visibility case.

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2019, 12:21:10 PM »
your recent example is a truly rare example--the use of a legal firearm by a civilian to stop a criminal with an illegal firearm is mostly about macho fantasies that never happened

I don’t have time to research how often it happens, but I do read about it periodically.  So you’re a mind reader, too?  And a psychologist?  And like to generalize a stereotype that fits your political narrative?  Just keep on pretending that it never happens , if your desired narrative suits you.  Pretend that CPR trained people don’t save lives once in a while, and that first aid trained people don’t save lives once in a while, too.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2019, 12:24:59 PM »
walmart gunman has been charged with making a terrorist threat, because there was nothing real to charge him with--happens

he has video of himself never ever threatening a flea, which he recorded the entire time, until police took him into custody--

so, like i said your analogy is crap----"driving on (the) busy sidewalk" is a crime--there are laws that specifically forbid this act

walking into a walmart with a shouldered AR, and a holstered sidearm, clad in body armor is completely legal in MO--there are no laws that forbid this act in the state of MO

there are no witnesses who will say that he did other than i describe--that he pointed weapons at noone, and that he did not articulate a threat to anyone

crap analogy--LOL---the problem in MO is the gun laws, and this guy proved it

Dershowitz? read the piece, if you care, and youre not just chomping at the bit for semantic puzzling....

Otherwise keep citing him--not becoming of you tho--maybe read the piece!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2019, 12:28:05 PM »
accidental dupe--pls delete, admin--thx
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 12:43:42 PM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2019, 12:35:11 PM »
Can someone explain to me which one was the terrorist and which one was the patriot expressing his 2nd amendment rights. Was it the guy with the concealed weapon or the guy with the military weapon?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2019, 12:38:50 PM »
The Walmart gunman is presumably being prosecuted under the “being a complete dickhead in public” law. Even his wife told him he was being an idiot and would get into trouble.

But his actions have raised some interesting points, for sure. I was actually reassured - and a bit surprised (given the arguments here from some who seem to claim to represent the popular view) by the fact that the guy is going to be prosecuted.

How on earth US citizens can be reassured by there being hoards of other US private citizens running around with deadly weapons loaded in public just baffles me. On one hand it seems to signify a great distrust of human nature (that people need guns to protect themselves against others), but on the other it requires considerable trust (e.g. that the other guy with the gun won’t just shoot me in the back).

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2019, 12:41:22 PM »
/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 12:45:26 PM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2019, 12:44:16 PM »
mind reader, Seldom? nah, but i do read the papers

but maybe you should do a bit more reading? If not time consuming research, like, at least some reading beyond "periodically"--if you want to have a meaningful opinion....

and you really think there's an analogy between a medical first responder and some self-appointed untrained moron hero with a gun?

wow--not sure reading or research will fix that!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2019, 01:34:12 PM »
Can someone explain to me which one was the terrorist and which one was the patriot expressing his 2nd amendment rights. Was it the guy with the concealed weapon or the guy with the military weapon?

Unfortunately for him, that seems to have been Dmitriy N. Andreychenko's point and now he will face up to 4 years in jail.  What he did was reckless.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2019, 01:45:14 PM »
walking into a walmart with a shouldered AR, and a holstered sidearm, clad in body armor is completely legal in MO--there are no laws that forbid this act in the state of MO

Apparently there is a law, "making a terrorist threat in the second-degree". 

According to one report, "Police say panic ensued and shoppers went scurrying out of the building as Andreychenko allegedly walked around pushing a shopping cart and recording video on his phone."

BTW, I thought my sidewalk analogy was pretty good, sorry it didn't register for you.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2019, 02:58:27 PM »
your recent example is a truly rare example--the use of a legal firearm by a civilian to stop a criminal with an illegal firearm is mostly about macho fantasies that never happened

I don’t have time to research how often it happens, but I do read about it periodically.  So you’re a mind reader, too?  And a psychologist?  And like to generalize a stereotype that fits your political narrative?  Just keep on pretending that it never happens , if your desired narrative suits you.  Pretend that CPR trained people don’t save lives once in a while, and that first aid trained people don’t save lives once in a while, too.

Here is some research info for you:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/how-the-good-guy-with-a-gun-became-a-deadly-american-fantasy

A bit of it (has links to sources in article):

A reality check
Most gun enthusiasts don’t measure up to the fictional ideal of the steady, righteous and sure shot.

In fact, research has shown that gun-toting independence unleashes much more chaos and carnage than heroism. A 2017 National Bureau of Economic Research study revealed that right-to-carry laws increase, rather than decrease, violent crime. Higher rates of gun ownership is correlated with higher homicide rates. Gun possession is correlated with increased road rage.

There have been times when a civilian with a gun successfully intervened in a shooting, but these instances are rare. Those who carry guns often have their own guns used against them. And a civilian with a gun is more likely to be killed than to kill an attacker.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 12, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »

Apparently there is a law, "making a terrorist threat in the second-degree". 

According to one report, "Police say panic ensued and shoppers went scurrying out of the building as Andreychenko allegedly walked around pushing a shopping cart and recording video on his phone."

BTW, I thought my sidewalk analogy was pretty good, sorry it didn't register for you.

People are panicking when they hear a motorcycle  back fire. The point I'm making is that the 2nd amendment arguments are inconsistent. Why is carrying  an assault rifle a terrorist act in one instance and not another? 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal