Author Topic: Question for paint experts  (Read 4515 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Question for paint experts
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 08:45:01 PM »
Like most shapers whose business has been destroyed by cheap Chinese boards, Bill is not in any position to be eating his mistakes. "Faking a living" is putting it mildly. You're confusing building custom boards with something that actually yields a profit margin commensurate with the talent and experience it takes to be really good at it. Yeah, I have no problem with believing Bill screwed this up. He writes shit down on some scummy piece of paper and then uses the paper to clean a brush. Not a businessman. I looked for ways to help him, not going to happen. Great craftsman, builds the most amazing boards I've ever owned, couldn't market water in the desert. You don't hire him for customer service, you hire him because he builds fantastic boards.

All my surfboards and most of my downwind boards are yellow with a red stripe. Suicidal. Mick Fanning might paint all his boards purple because of a shark "attack" that didn't so much as pop a pimple. Good for him. Some dickhead nearly ran me over in a crosswalk in Hood River yesterday. I should probably change all my clothing to dayglo pink. Makes more sense than "science" based on data so sparse that you could conclude painting yourself with fresh blood is the safest course.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 03:37:08 AM »
Pono,
Yup, Bill is a great shaper, and I feel badly about the way things went. He is an artist, and one of the best. Bill deserves respect, but so do I. The whole story is worse, but I'd rather not get into it. This is the third board that I received that wasn't what I wanted, and the first time I asked for action from him. However, unlike you, I am not a multi millionaire, the amount of money I spend on these boards is not insignificant to me.
      If it were simply a color mistake I could swallow it, but a color mistake and 1/2" narrower than the board I ordered is a bigger problem. Especially when this board was supposed to be wider than the last board he made me, but now it's a  narrower.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 07:15:02 AM »
I get it, and obviously so do you. It would be nice if he were more organized, but there's a risk in working with a one man band. His production boards are, of course, exactly as listed, and they're very good, but he doesn't sell enough to justify a container so they are hard to get. And I'd rather have a custom anyway.

Mostly I'm responding to the customer service expectations. We have an inflated expectation if what a "manufacturer" can afford to do, mostly driven by companies that don't need to make a profit while they are growing rapidly and making mistakes frequently. When you're spending other people's money you can buy customers and keep people happy. That doesn't describe any aspect of Foote surfboards.

I'd be plenty grumpy if I didn't get what I specified. I realized pretty early that I was better off being loose in both what I asked for and what I expected. I've never seen him do anything even the tiniest bit sloppy. You might not get what you asked for, but it will be perfectly executed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 08:02:36 AM »
I've never seen him do anything even the tiniest bit sloppy. You might not get what you asked for, but it will be perfectly executed.

Isn’t Nelson laminating his boards Bill?
in progress...

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »
Quattro..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 08:25:24 AM »
Some people get to a point in their careers where they acquire the "I don't give a shit anymore" mind set. A know a lot of shapers ( and tradesman) who have reached that point and life is a grind. Two put bullets through their heads, another moved away from the business completely. He had a exit plan. Breathing foam, resin, and paint fumes your whole career has consequences both mental and physical. My close friend is a career board sander. He probably sands 20 or more a day. He's only surfed a handful of times in the past maybe 10 years. Every time I see him, he's cover in sanding dust except for the ring around his mouth where his dust mask sat. He's nearing 60. How much longer can he do that?
I was a custom home builder and sensed the "I don't give a shit anymore coming" on so I changed careers. It was the best move of my life.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »

You can do it with spray cans. MTN 94 paints with their top coat.. The tips spray like a professional cap sprayer. They have a variety of tips to use.  https://www.sprayplanet.com/collections/mtn-94-spray-paint. Good shit.
TallDude, thanks for that link.  That could be perfect for some things I've been needing to paint.  So even if jarvissup ends up not going that route, you just helped me out.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 04:31:10 PM »
I've never seen him do anything even the tiniest bit sloppy. You might not get what you asked for, but it will be perfectly executed.

Isn’t Nelson laminating his boards Bill?

Sometimes, but that was mostly for the Maliko 14's I think. Some he does himself, some Dave Peterson does. Kind of like Jimmy--he can do it all, and does it really well, but he doesn't have much space to work anymore.

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 06:12:08 PM »
Quatro has been laminating his boards. They are very good, and can do custom sandwich, and custom, carbon sandwich.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal