Author Topic: Question for paint experts  (Read 4513 times)

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Question for paint experts
« on: June 20, 2019, 07:40:16 AM »
I ordered a custom board and I selected green as the color, and even though I supplied a picture of a board they had produced as a sample of what I wanted, it showed up yellow. Yellow and a half inch narrower, but that is another story.
   So, my question is: What color might cover/react best when sprayed lightly over the yellow to best hide the yellow? Thanks in advance, paint is not my strong suit.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Question for paint experts
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 07:47:01 AM »
Jarvis,  Poor you, that's a feeling that is not going away anytime soon.   ...got a buddy who shoots cars?  You are certainly not going to be happy with a rattle-can finish.  Two Naish boards had me tired of yellow really fast.  In contrast, it must be a narcotic to DJ in OZ. 

...how about a local surfboard shaper - his laminator should be of help, no?

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:31:01 AM »
The good thing is it's just about ready for paint. I'd mask off the Foot label so it stays original, mask the fin boxes, and sand the whole board so it's ready to paint. Go to an automotive paint store, and find the paint color you want. You won't need much. Buy a can of primer suitable for fiberglass parts and compatible with the paint you want. The paint store will know this. Buy a disposable mask. Then just shoot it on..... Oh ya that's another task that requires a compressor and a cap sprayer. Get the pressure right and tip setting right and spray in to directions. It goes fast.  :-[

You can do it with spray cans. MTN 94 paints with their top coat.. The tips spray like a professional cap sprayer. They have a variety of tips to use.  https://www.sprayplanet.com/collections/mtn-94-spray-paint. Good shit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:32:45 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 08:53:38 AM »
Jarvis, I ordered a green custum board back in 2012 and it came to me in orange!  At first I was pissed, but today it's one of my favorite boards, it rides great and it just looks cool. 

I had a '72 240Z in that same yellow color, so I'm biased, but I actually dig it! 

Good luck with it no matter what you decide.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 09:10:45 AM »
That's a really thin layer of paint, which means your board is pretty light. If you add a good covering coat, which will be at least two coats really, you'll add a couple of pounds--so you can have a different color. First decide if that's what you want to do, and then try to make the paint as light as possible.

I like pretty boards, but they are decorative wallhangers. Not the ones I use. I could care less what color a good surfing board is. And on most of my boards I'd put up with shitcrinkle brown if it meant the board was two pounds lighter.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 09:30:18 AM »
It's a big risk if you do it yourself. I've painted a couple of boards. Tried both spray cans and roll & tip method using two part epoxy paint.  Sanded and prepped the boards perfectly only to have the paint not stick. What an ugly mess.

Bill is right. Paint adds a lot of weight.

I'm the same as you. Having a board the wrong color really bothers me, but a botched up paint job is worse.

I hope they gave you a nice discount on the board for their screw up.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 09:41:35 AM »
Sorry to hear you got the wrong color.  Definitely a bummer to unwrap a custom and find out it's not exactly what you ordered.

I've always liked the looks of Foote's outlines. particularly the Rocket, but I thought the 8'2 was too small and the 8'10 too large. 

What is this yellow, that was supposed to be green, board?  Is that carbon underneath the yellow paint?  Ride report, more pics?  Or does that need to wait until the paint issue is resolved? 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
How about a green perimeter pinstripe or green stringer stripe or stripes. Then deck pad and go surf.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 10:35:45 AM »
...it showed up yellow. Yellow and a half inch narrower...

It’s beautiful! I’ll take it as is just in case you’re tired looking at it and want
A fresh start. Color makes a big difference and I happen to be addicted to yellow.
in progress...

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 11:19:37 AM »
Burchas, you can have it if you want it. Dietlin, yes, the Rocket is a great shape. The 8'2" is my favorite board, but in a wetsuit, and/or wind/chop it's a bit of work. TallDude, thanks for the link and recommendation. Pono, it is a light board, and priced accordingly, but I sold all of my yellow surfboards after the bad shark summer a few years ago.
    I'm not totally paranoid, but that summer there were 11 bites along our coast of NC, and we've had 3 this spring already. The color is not attractive to me, but I also like to do everything I can to mitigate any shark curiosity. I know, I know, here comes the smarty pants quotes;"you're more likely to get struck by lightening" etc etc, but those surveys are taken for the general populace. I know you're not likely to have a shark encounter if you're playing X-box in your basement. However, if you're in the water everyday in a place where shark attacks are happening, why not do everything you can to mitigate the possibility.
     I was, among other things, a military diver a few years back. We spent a lot of time both surface swimming and subsurface swimming at night, in the same coastal waters, and none of us was ever attacked. That being said, I still want to reduce my odds. Mick Fanning and a lot of scientists agree(see link)
http://news.outdoortechnology.com/2015/10/05/mick-fanning-ditched-his-yum-yum-yellow-boards-and-you-should-too/

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 12:11:25 PM »
I'm a firm believer in going with the flow where the consequences really don't matter much.... but that's not the case here.  I don't know your conversations with Foote on this issue, but I would suspect that it would not be a big deal for a manufacturer, even a small one, to take the board back, shipping cost included, and provide you with what you ordered. Especially with the width differential mistake thrown in the mix. I can't imagine any one would have any hard feelings. Even if initially thought you could live with it and told him so, it's reasonable for you to tell him that's not how reality is panning out. 

Foote can put the old one in a corner till Burchas calls for a yellow one.  Hell, maybe there's another custom Foote customer out there right now pissed off because his board is green and a half inch too wide... 

OK I just read that article. I have a white board on order that I think I'll change to blue.

"United States Office of Naval Research funded a massive program to research shark sensory biology. One of their findings was that the color of an object floating in the water was strongly correlated to the likelihood that a shark would approach and interact with the object. Highly reflective silver and white objects had a tendency to attract bull sharks and tiger sharks, whereas black and blue objects didn’t."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 12:23:58 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 12:30:09 PM »
Maybe a vinyl board wrap

http://www.surfboardskinz.com

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 02:30:45 PM »
Dusk,
   I told Bill Foote about the discrepancies, his answer was "ride it, you'll love it". I'm not sure what answer I wanted to hear, but that wasn't it. I sent him another response about perhaps making it right somehow, and that when you order a custom, you expect to get the dimensions you ordered etc, and he got a bit cross at me, and isn't going to do anything and has stopped communicating. So, I guess I'm off his "good guy" list. I've spent north of $7000 with him in custom boards, so I guess I thought I'd have earned some customer service, but sadly, that's not the case. Too bad, I think his Rocket is the best performance shape I've ever ridden.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 03:22:19 PM »
Wow... What you describe is almost incomprehensible in terms of customer service. Not to mention short sighted on his part.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 06:00:37 PM »
Such a “customer service” would put anyone on my shit list, no matter how great of
Shaper. Remind me the time I was told I have 1st world issues in response to
My bitching about wrong fin placement and fucked up deck pad application.

When you pay 1st world prices you expect world class service. You’d think that
With such rough time for the industry when shops going down left and right there
Will be a better sense urgency.

I feel your pain Jarvissup, even though it’s a gorgeous color ;D
Send me the specs of the board, if that’s in my range I’ll be happy to
To take this problem off your hands.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal