Author Topic: Rider Reports - Demos Are In  (Read 11368 times)

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rider Reports - Demos Are In
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 12:29:31 PM »
I will add my input on the “adding a paddle in case”. 

First, the slingshot wing is 2lbs heavier(1kilo) than the 4m duotone.  So now, you want to add the weight of a paddle, for “just in case”.   Also think about the paddle blade wind drag and how it handles gusts as you are riding. 

I have no problem prone paddling out of Maliko from the boat ramp, on a 68L board to the wind line, that barely floats me, and I am a middle aged woman with no weight training.  The wing sits on your back.

Also, if the wind dies, it’s really easy to sit or kneel on your board, and hold the wing (like a spinnaker) and steer in.  I have done that into the harbor in fact when the wind lows dropped but I decided to go to my car anyways.  Unlike having to self rescue kite boarding.  Maybe Kiters and windsurfer need a paddle.  Hehe

I tried the Naish with a paddle attached, and it has lateral movement if you sheet in, and especially pumping, and then it also has feedback delay because of the webbing stretch.  Very inefficient! 

Especially a place like the gorge does not need a safety paddle.  Hitch hike. Even a channel crossing doesn’t because you have a rescue boat.   Honestly it would be impossible to not sense the wind is dropping on a Maliko run or most places and to head toward shore, and hitch hike. 

Nowadays I'm also riding boards so small that I would not be able to use a paddle if I had one. I can't even kneel on some boards and paddle them. If the wind drops, I'm pretty good at flying long enough to get to shore. If the wind goes dead without warning, I'm pretty much in the same fix as any windsurfer or kiter who's also out there.   

I would worry about the leashes breaking!  Need double leashes more than a paddle.

Hey Julie,

One reason I could think of carrying a paddle is the fact the the leading edge on all of these wings are inflatable.  If Murphy  catches you and he eventually does and usually at the worst time.  If out in the ocean a fair way, trying to paddle a semi submersible board in from a ways off shore in good seas and wind could be a bad situation with a big limp piece of canvas.  Most of the time I would say the there would be no reason for the bladder to get punctured but it is just something that could happen.

Sure, carry paddles. To each his own. 

Most inflatable hand-held wings have bladders like the ones in kitesurfing kites. These are usually made from polyurethane film about 0.1mm thick. This has been the case with kites for more than two decades now. Yes, a bladder can get a hole. Fortunately, the leaks are usually slow enough that the rider can see that there's a problem, and can go to shore before it becomes a big problem.  Maybe good to check what bladder the brand you buy is using.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 12:31:36 PM by Julie_Scheyer »
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 02:32:13 PM »
for me to start I will focus on one at the time, a wing with no foil (board only) and be good at upwind/downwind/sidewind, etc or be good at hydrofoil without the wing. Once you are good at both then its all good but if you are good at one but not the other suk it up or not good at both best you go home and think about it and reset haha.

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 10:17:29 PM »
so I bought today a Fanatic Ultra Cat, aka FUC, in excellent condition, mast track moves, mast base and extension, seems to work really nice. Weighs 15 kilo.
A 70 cm carbon daggerboard that slides easily, carbon fin, original straps.

It was an envy of board engineering 30 years ago. Original owner. Last 20 years was sitting on the rack.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 08:16:34 AM »
I was wondering when Is these air-wings weight really an issue?

I can imagine in light wind were you and you want to disengage it... Is there other times were a heavier wing would be a con.

I haven't seen much feedback on the heavier Slingwing. Looking at the latest Mackite wing video the slingwing looks  like it could be good in higher wind conditions but I don't know squat about wind toys.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:18:41 AM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2019, 09:26:25 AM »
I was wondering when Is these air-wings weight really an issue?

I can imagine in light wind were you and you want to disengage it... Is there other times were a heavier wing would be a con.

I haven't seen much feedback on the heavier Slingwing. Looking at the latest Mackite wing video the slingwing looks  like it could be good in higher wind conditions but I don't know squat about wind toys.

So far, I would say no.  Mostly because the wings lift not only themselves easily but lift your arms as well.  They are also very light.  Have a look at the images below.  This is our SPG 3 under our Duotone 3.  The cut is different and they look to be a skosh different in overall size as well.  The materials seem very similar and possibly the same on some materials.  The SPG get the dual struts and the Duotone gets the aluminum boom, full battens and and windows.  I am weighing the Duotone at 2/10's of a lb lighter on my bathroom scale with the boom (4.6 lbs).  The boom itself weighs 1.8 lbs.  The single strut wings from Naish, etc. may be marginally lighter again.  That would make sense if they are using similar materials and if the actual sizes are really spot on between brands. But, unless one of the brands is doing something to add a lot of weight I would think that the difference there will be negligible.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:43:21 AM by Admin »

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2019, 12:41:12 PM »
We got our hands on the sling wing and it seems light. Sadly, so was the wind.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal