Author Topic: Rider Reports - Demos Are In  (Read 11367 times)

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rider Reports - Demos Are In
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »
@alap Why don’t you want to foil?  If you can do all the other things, you can definitely foil.  The foiling is the fun!  I wasn’t able to use a paddle, because it’s too physically hard and injures me.  The wing is just there to let me fly on the foil.

I would rather kite or windsurf, or mtn bike than slog around with a wing and a SUP board. Maybe it’s a good way to learn how to use the wing, but definitely not my idea of fun.

Alan uses the daggerboard in order to help his students stay upwind.  I think you need the daggerboard or hydrofoil to stay upwind.

Wings have been around for years, and are only now fun because of the hydrofoil.  Ken Winner had been downwind foil paddling with Mark Rhapahost and Alan Cadiz and injured his shoulder paddling.  He wanted to keep going with them, and made some wings for himself.  He spent at least a year getting them designed to give him the power he needed(to be faster than his paddling buddies :)  the wings started floppy and with handles, and quickly made booms.  Alan made some metal front ends, then they wanted windows to avoid turtles and friends, then tighter leach tension, then battens.  He said it’s been at least 30 prototypes.  All because he wanted to hydrofoil downwind without paddle injuries.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:16:56 PM by Julie_Scheyer »
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 02:00:30 PM »
@alap Why don’t you want to foil?  .

not a whole lot of waves where he is and lots of water rules...

aloha alap

UliUliUli!
 :)

Lazz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 02:21:07 PM »
Guys, do not understand why you do not try the Wing at least on a 12´6´´old raceboard with boxy rails. I think the easy way is to learn  proper sailing first
(starting, manoevers, upwind, downwind, pumping) before  kill yourself with a foil board.
In any case, my way of learning will be so, when the damned wings are finally arrived.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:37:12 PM by Lazz »

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 03:00:52 PM »
aloha steamroller!  love ULI....

Julie, I am not saying I can't learn, I just don't want to. Too many reasons... The absence of waves and downwinders in Calgary Alberta is one of those as steamroller mentioned. Couple others, like my body is not made from rubber anymore and the things that used to heal by itself in a matter of hours tend to stay forever... plus it is not even the fear of injury but rather a fear of cutting myself in the water (hint: I had some big surgery when they replaced original body parts with an artificial one... it doesn't like bacteria in the bloodstream). Plus do not want to "excite" my wife with a foil idea. And I totally agree if it is windy I rather wndsrf in harness and in straps, but not shlog. I thing the concept of wind in Maui is different than inland though.

Either way I don't plan learning to foil. Mtn bike involves a lot of sweating, no thank you. never was attracted to :)

But thank you for the info about the dagger. I of course can buy an old longboard with a dagger for 100 bucks... but at the moment looks like I am waiting to see where all this evolves. Reading this forum with a lot of interest and curiosity.

But Julie it is very interesting that you learned foiling and winging simultaneously. Just as an idea you should post your videos on youtube... not instagram...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »
Admin, Julie, Pono, the experienced people!

The Q is: is it possible to go upwind on those wide boards without a dagger (or at least not to go downwind, and again having paddle in light air even this is not a total disaster), and how? burrying the windward rail?
And because it is just shlogging it shouldn't be stressfull on my arms. Like right now light air wsrfng I shlog without harness under the power of my 5 m sail, and it is not tiring at all.

what do you think guys?

Absolutely. In fact, while I was taking lessons from Allen on his huge centerboard windsurfer I was going upwind very handily. When I came in after a few laps in and out we realized I had kicked the centerboard up when I first took off, I didn't notice the difference, went upwind just as well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 04:53:02 PM »
Pono, thank you  !

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 08:41:41 AM »
Guys, do not understand why you do not try the Wing at least on a 12´6´´old raceboard with boxy rails. I think the easy way is to learn  proper sailing first
(starting, manoevers, upwind, downwind, pumping) before  kill yourself with a foil board.
In any case, my way of learning will be so, when the damned wings are finally arrived.

That should be a nice way to learn.  I still think that you will have almost the whole learning curve ahead of you when you switch to a foilboard, if that is your goal. 

Lazz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 09:15:43 AM »

That should be a nice way to learn.  I still think that you will have almost the whole learning curve ahead of you when you switch to a foilboard, if that is your goal.

Admin, no doubt about the learning curves, but to learn a new sport with two different components with different movements and unpredictable forces in once makes the learning success much more difficult in my opinion.
Including unnecessarily danger for you self  and for the equipment.
So if we learn to use and control the Wing to gain confidence, the lifting  and riding experience on the Foilboard becomes a piece of cake I guess.
If you guys love to learn it on the hard way becouse your mind is younger than your body ( me too with 64) is admirable, possibly gives you when succeed  lot more satisfaction. Please keep going, we'll push our thumbs. ;D

PS: Of course is my goal  Foiling, but  through smallest effort with  greatest success
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:31:37 AM by Lazz »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 09:38:05 AM »
Admin, no doubt about the learning curves, but to learn a new sport with two different things with different movements and unpredictable forces in once makes the learning success much more difficult in my opinion.
Including unnecessarily danger for you self  and for the equipment.
So if we learn to use and control the Wing with confidence, the lifting experience and riding on the Foilboard becomes a piece of cake I guess.
If you guys love to learn it on the hard way becouse your mind is younger than your body ( me too with 64) is admirable, possibly gives you when succeed  lot more satisfaction. Please keep going, we'll push our thumbs. ;D

I think that you will find that the wing on your knees, even on a small foilboard,  is comfortable and relatively easy (reaching, transitioning, returning and light pointing).  I think you will learn that and what can be gained from a large sup in a day or two.   On the foilboard, hoisting the wing with significant wind and chop is a fumbly experience at first and you lose a lot of ground.  What you know how to do with the wing on your knees or on a big stable board may not happen as smoothly when you are balancing and controlling direction on the smaller gear.  The board will want to turn downwind and you have to correct for that.  That is also one of the things that can cause problems with the wingtip getting snagged on the water if you don't adjust.   Getting up from one knee can help keep you upwind, but that is a little dicey sometimes on a smaller board and may lead to some swimming.  Because you won't know how to foil yet, you are going to end up downwind.  I am not sure how easy the foilboard will be with less chop but I am guessing quite a bit easier.  I am looking forward to some 15 to 20 and finding out.  :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:39:56 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 09:59:48 AM »
I am not sure how easy the foilboard will be with less chop but I am guessing quite a bit easier. 

Like a thousand times easier. A foil feels every once of energy in the water. Slick glass water is ideal for wind power foil riding. Good luck finding that!  ;D

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 10:18:51 AM »
when the damned wings are finally arrived.

;D ;D ;D, you have to almost be an instagooglefacesnap person.  have money burning a hole in my pocket.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 10:25:23 AM »
I was able to try a demo slingshot one over the weekend.  Unfortunately the wind was not very cooperative and light. Under 10 knts. Like the, the gusts were 10knts.  Used a big inflatable. Light wind absolutely sucked.  When a gust came and got me moving a little bit it was kinda nice.  When it was not blowing, it gave you a work out.   Set the edge of the wing on the board until a gust came made it easier.  Inflatable board is not the most controllable thing either.  All in all it was good just to get one in my hands and satisfy my craving to see what it could be like.  Definitely want more of a taste.  I might get a few more opportunities to try it here in the future but I don't know.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 10:33:42 AM »
I will add my input on the “adding a paddle in case”. 

First, the slingshot wing is 2lbs heavier(1kilo) than the 4m duotone.  So now, you want to add the weight of a paddle, for “just in case”.   Also think about the paddle blade wind drag and how it handles gusts as you are riding. 

I have no problem prone paddling out of Maliko from the boat ramp, on a 68L board to the wind line, that barely floats me, and I am a middle aged woman with no weight training.  The wing sits on your back.

Also, if the wind dies, it’s really easy to sit or kneel on your board, and hold the wing (like a spinnaker) and steer in.  I have done that into the harbor in fact when the wind lows dropped but I decided to go to my car anyways.  Unlike having to self rescue kite boarding.  Maybe Kiters and windsurfer need a paddle.  Hehe

I tried the Naish with a paddle attached, and it has lateral movement if you sheet in, and especially pumping, and then it also has feedback delay because of the webbing stretch.  Very inefficient! 

Especially a place like the gorge does not need a safety paddle.  Hitch hike. Even a channel crossing doesn’t because you have a rescue boat.   Honestly it would be impossible to not sense the wind is dropping on a Maliko run or most places and to head toward shore, and hitch hike. 

Nowadays I'm also riding boards so small that I would not be able to use a paddle if I had one. I can't even kneel on some boards and paddle them. If the wind drops, I'm pretty good at flying long enough to get to shore. If the wind goes dead without warning, I'm pretty much in the same fix as any windsurfer or kiter who's also out there.   

I would worry about the leashes breaking!  Need double leashes more than a paddle.

Hey Julie,

One reason I could think of carrying a paddle is the fact the the leading edge on all of these wings are inflatable.  If Murphy  catches you and he eventually does and usually at the worst time.  If out in the ocean a fair way, trying to paddle a semi submersible board in from a ways off shore in good seas and wind could be a bad situation with a big limp piece of canvas.  Most of the time I would say the there would be no reason for the bladder to get punctured but it is just something that could happen.

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 10:52:37 AM »
A condom can break also!  I live in Maui and paddle or wing now the ocean almost every day.  I have been kiting for 18 years.  I had a leash break that is bad!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:56:49 AM by Julie_Scheyer »
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2019, 11:20:48 AM »
Admin, Julie, Pono, the experienced people!

I am not interested in foiling whatsoever. I am interested in light days (and light days on the lake mean that it may drop to zero in 2 minutes) on the local lakes to go on big floaty board to go out with a paddle attached to the boom and goof around  and not to be blown downwind. Like I do now for entry level free ride wsrfng. Basically to substitute this light air wsrfng with this light air wing schlogging.

The Q is: is it possible to go upwind on those wide boards without a dagger (or at least not to go downwind, and again having paddle in light air even this is not a total disaster), and how? burrying the windward rail?
And because it is just shlogging it shouldn't be stressfull on my arms. Like right now light air wsrfng I shlog without harness under the power of my 5 m sail, and it is not tiring at all.

what do you think guys?

I see people on Instagram doing this. Give it a go

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal