Author Topic: DIY SUP Foil Wings- Oh geez.  (Read 17933 times)

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DIY SUP Foil Wings- Oh geez.
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2019, 09:18:00 PM »
looks good supunk! i use an axis style mount on my wings and am currently building a full new setup, i went away from the gofoil style sockets a few versions ago as it is extremely hard to make a tight fitting socket without a vacuum set up and even harder to make sure it all comes out straight and true.
i have used this method previously on my plywood wing and had no troubles with it at all.

here is the foam centre section of my new wing, all marked out on the bottom face which is left flat for now to make alignment easier.
i cut out an over size hole for the foil mount (axis mounts are 63mm wide so the hole i cut is around 73mm) and cut in a small rebate ~4mm deep to take a piece of carbon plate. the idea with leaving the underside of the wing flat is so the carbon plate sits in flush and level with the wing- easy to get it all lined up!

once the plate is glued in i put 1 layer 200g bi-ax carbon and 1 layer 200g twill in the rebate and out to the marked pencil lines around the hole. and cause this is only foam 1 layer of 200g twill over the whole top face of the wing.

now it is stiff enough to shape up the underside, glue the tips on and wrap it all in everyones favourite black cloth. i have only just started this wing so ill keep you updated as i go 

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 03:14:26 AM »
Looks great Container. Thanks for all the helpful info. I have sent you a pm :)

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2019, 04:25:21 AM »
Work continues on my DIY high aspect wing. Now pretty much ready for vacuuming. Routed for the fuse + 5mm carbon reinforcing plate on underside. Just a little fine shaping required. Have gone with a 2deg AOA. Fingers crossed! Thanks for looking.

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2019, 12:12:45 PM »
looks good, do you plan on laying carbon or glass in the socket on top to seal the ply? these wooden wings get water logged super easy and start to delam. my one had a few chips in the tips from the paddle and it only lasted 6 months before becoming soggy and delaminating 

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 12:17:49 AM »
Hi Container
Plan on epoxying the whole wing. Will be using the fuse as a mould in the top socket to try and get a tight fit. Will see how it goes. Fingers crossed. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal