Author Topic: DIY SUP Foil Wings- Oh geez.  (Read 17931 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DIY SUP Foil Wings- Oh geez.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »
I cant be sure but from the little video and pics I've seen I'm thinking the wing section is closer to the H105 profile(Tom Speers hydrofoil profile) and is 12% thickness to cord ratio.  This produces less lift but also less drag making for a faster and more controllable lift profile.  Can anyone confirm this?  The span is near 40 inches for some.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 09:03:46 AM »
Here is a pic

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 09:21:47 AM »
Thanks for all the great info guys. Kiwi your dims are very similar to what I had in mind, maybe a little thinner in the chord. Don't know how I will get any washout in the shaping but may be able to induce some when glassing. What effect does that have? The profile info is v helpful. Thanks again.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 10:26:58 AM »
Washout is used to prevent the whole wing from stalling at the same time.  This is used to give pilots extra time to recover from a stall.  As far as using it for surf foils, I believe it makes a more user friendly wing by modulating lift across the wing thereby giving us more time to correct angle of attack. When making wings using the lacing method I simply induce the correct amount of downward wing twist toward the tips before I add the 2 part polyurethane filler and/or Eopxy-microballoons.  Once the filler is added, the wing twist is locked in.  I use about 1-2 degrees of washout(at the tip)  gradually across the whole wing.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 07:25:53 PM »
Has anyone got any info on the dims of the new GL GoFoil wings? Have been inspired to start laminating a plywood high aspect wing to try and fit onto my Gong fuse. The blank is 110cm x 20cm. The GL wings look very flat from the pictures I have seen. Would like to get a better idea of the wings dims including the angle of attack? Everything so far has been eyeballed!
Thanks in advance :)

My next project is a wing like these new high aspect ones. I'm going for a metre span with a chord of 160mm using an NACA 4416 profile, I considered a thinner profile but since its allready so much smaller in the chord it will only be 26mm thick which is allready much thinner than most wings. I'm going with 2 degrees AOA with washout of 2 degrees over the span so that the tips are at 0 degrees.

Looks very promising Kiwi, does it fit on the Axis fuselage?

Sure does

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 11:57:57 PM »
Washout is used to prevent the whole wing from stalling at the same time.  This is used to give pilots extra time to recover from a stall.  As far as using it for surf foils, I believe it makes a more user friendly wing by modulating lift across the wing thereby giving us more time to correct angle of attack. When making wings using the lacing method I simply induce the correct amount of downward wing twist toward the tips before I add the 2 part polyurethane filler and/or Eopxy-microballoons.  Once the filler is added, the wing twist is locked in.  I use about 1-2 degrees of washout(at the tip)  gradually across the whole wing.

Thanks. Makes sense. :)

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 06:28:11 AM »
My GL wing is now roughed out. Happy with the profile. Dims are 1m x 165cm x 25mm thick. I have tried to get some wing washout by twisting the laminating. Any suggestions re shaping the aero profile are appreciated. A sureform seems the favourite at the moment. Slow but accurate. :)

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »
Vince, I like your effort! There is a lot of subtext for us novice builders to pick up on, but the biggest thing is perseverance. That part when you said, "... I promptly lost interest...": At first I was thinking that should have been edited out, but then that was a part of your story. And I have to admit for me too. A refreshing take on build videos.

A process question: I don't understand the role of the plexiglass. Does it become part of the wing structure? Or is it just a pattern/tool/form? If only a form, why not just use the wooden form to glue foam together and skip the plexi?

Another thought when I saw you pressing down on the hot plexi: DIY ski builders use a matching form as the other half of a clamp to put the camber into their layup. A bit more effort but may give a more certain result.

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 04:09:14 PM »
Supunk, use a block plane, a spoke shave and long sanding board and it will shape up in no time

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2019, 03:05:52 AM »
Thanks container :)

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 07:03:42 AM »
Work continues slowly on my high aspect wing. Wing shape is based on a GOE648 airfoil with a chord of 165mm and a wingspan of 980mm. I need to route out for the fuse and finish roughing out the profile. I have tried to induce some wing washout by twisting the laminating which shows up in the lam lines. I was going to fit on my Gong foil but may try and mount on my NP Glide to avoid mast flex issues. Thanks to steamroller for posting some pics of a GL wing.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:08:44 AM by supunk »

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 07:16:04 AM »
A better view of the profile. Thanks for looking :D

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019, 10:33:28 PM »
Love seeing these. I need to get mine tested someday.

How are you calculating the AOA to mount it?

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 06:18:58 AM »
Love seeing these. I need to get mine tested someday.

How are you calculating the AOA to mount it?

That is a good question. I hoped someone on here might offer some advice :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2019, 08:35:50 PM »
lol. I tried to build 1-2° into mine and I left a flat mount so I could shim it. I guess with a slip on mount you just have to know.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal