Author Topic: 8’3” portal phantom  (Read 8832 times)

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: 8’3” portal phantom
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 07:17:34 AM »
With all the extras it came in around $1900.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 08:44:15 AM »
Gorgeous board!  If I wasn't investing my time into foiling, I would have seriously considered one. 

I am on Erik's mailing list and saw he made some slight changes to the shape with what he is calling a Viking Deck:

"That what???  The Viking Deck!  I've been playing around with volume over the last few years - Where do you feel it?  Where can you get away with hiding it? I've found that volume center board and tail is less noticeable while surfing.  The step deck is a good start but the next new new is the stepped nose.  I've done some prototyping on reducing volume in the nose by creating a step down, almost an inch and glassing the nose lighter.  This reduces the swing weight and volume from the nose of the board.  Why do you want to reduce nose volume?  Because it moves your paddling stance back about 3 inches which means you're closer to the tail.  And in my extensive experience coaching intermediate SUP surfers, getting to the tail is the #1 issue in progressing into better turns.  Well, the Viking Deck immediately moves you 3 inches back.  The swing weight helps bring the board around, but being on your tail will magnify all your surfing.  Shoot me an email for more info here. "

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 09:27:51 AM »
Im so pressed for time right now between family and work that foiling wont work for me right now.

I saw the email. And though i was glad i got the og nose bc i sprayed it with monster and have pulled some cheater fives off on it. Lol. Though the viking deck does look interesting. 

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 10:37:56 AM »
With all the extras it came in around $1900.

That sure is a beauty! Is the deck totally flat? How far does the step deck drop down initially to the rail?

I am on Erik's mailing list and saw he made some slight changes to the shape with what he is calling a Viking Deck:

"That what???  The Viking Deck!  I've been playing around with volume over the last few years - Where do you feel it?  Where can you get away with hiding it? I've found that volume center board and tail is less noticeable while surfing.  The step deck is a good start but the next new new is the stepped nose.  I've done some prototyping on reducing volume in the nose by creating a step down, almost an inch and glassing the nose lighter.  This reduces the swing weight and volume from the nose of the board.  Why do you want to reduce nose volume?  Because it moves your paddling stance back about 3 inches which means you're closer to the tail.  And in my extensive experience coaching intermediate SUP surfers, getting to the tail is the #1 issue in progressing into better turns.  Well, the Viking Deck immediately moves you 3 inches back.  The swing weight helps bring the board around, but being on your tail will magnify all your surfing.  Shoot me an email for more info here. "

I don't see anything on his site for how to get on his mailing list. How did you do that? (I wonder if Erik knows that all links on his homepage to internal pages are gone? That means there's no way to navigate his site past the front page.)
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 11:38:57 AM »
Id guess it steps down about 1/2” ish for the rails. I think the deck is fairly flat. Its not a plank by any means, nor is it severely domed.

I hopped on the email list from his progression project a few years back. Just email him or shoot him a message on social media. Hes great on responding. If you want to shoot me your email ill forward the newsletter.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 11:51:05 AM »
Id guess it steps down about 1/2” ish for the rails. I think the deck is fairly flat. Its not a plank by any means, nor is it severely domed.

I hopped on the email list from his progression project a few years back. Just email him or shoot him a message on social media. Hes great on responding. If you want to shoot me your email ill forward the newsletter.

I went to his Progression Project site and signed up. Thanks! I want to know more about that "viking" thing.

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »
Seems like an interesting idea.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 08:08:12 PM »
The text is cut off. What's the difference between the regular Phantom deck and the Viking deck?

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 06:47:10 AM »
The text is cut off. What's the difference between the regular Phantom deck and the Viking deck?

I think the text in that picture is the same text I copy and pasted in my reply earlier in this thread...

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 07:15:06 AM »
Yes its the same test. The nose drops an inch and is glassed lighter reducing the swing weight and pushing the center of gravity back 3” on the board.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 01:41:44 PM »
I really feel like Eric puts more effort into understanding what a good surf SUP should be than anyone else out there. Some day when I stop sinking all my money on foils I need to buy a phantom.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 06:15:53 PM »
Yes its the same test. The nose drops an inch and is glassed lighter reducing the swing weight and pushing the center of gravity back 3” on the board.

This is a really intresting concept that feels like in theory would be awesome for a shortboard shape.    But the phantom seems to me more mini-mal shape...and in viewing Erics Phantom videos he does seem to trim it occasionally.  It would be interesting seeing how the deck in the picture would work if you had to move your feet around the board or even onto the thinner done when you were in trim or taking off.

Still...as a 215lb guy.... hiding volume is of HUGE interest to me.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 07:29:42 PM »

What does it mean that the "nose drops an inch"?

4.5" inches thick with normal rails feels corky and like I'm standing high above the water when I paddle. Do you get that "corky" feeling when paddling or do you think the step rails drops the board lower into the water?

This is a really intresting concept that feels like in theory would be awesome for a shortboard shape.    But the phantom seems to me more mini-mal shape...and in viewing Erics Phantom videos he does seem to trim it occasionally.  It would be interesting seeing how the deck in the picture would work if you had to move your feet around the board or even onto the thinner done when you were in trim or taking off.

Still...as a 215lb guy.... hiding volume is of HUGE interest to me.

Erik has been doing step rails with his shortboard shape (the Barra) for a couple years now. You used to be able to see the Barra on his site but for some strange reason all nav links to inner pages have been removed.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 07:35:30 PM by magentawave »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 07:41:36 PM »
By the way, Fisher Grant was ripping on a little 7-4"ish Phantom at big ugly and windy Sunset last January in the APP. I was amazed that the full nose worked there but apparently he liked it so much that he left that board on the north shore for the next time he returns.

It would be really interesting to combine the Phantom with the crazy bottom Tyler Callaway is doing on his All Water sups. Oh gawd, you know the glassers and sanders would have to charge a major premium to deal with the step rails, big gnarly channels and wings though. :-\

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2019, 07:45:46 AM »
Njs, i am curious how it would affect the boars as well. They have been making step deck longboard surfboards for years. So i imagine it shouldnt have many negatives.

Mw, the nose transitions and is thinner on the deck by an inch. If you zoom in in the pic you can see where the board ramps down and loses thickness. I dont think (but im not quite sure) the step rails specifically let it sit below or above the water. Its just a reduction of foam which means it has less total volume (which it self would make it less corky) but the bigger pro of the step rails is it turns easier and transitions better. I have had boards that sat up way too high in the water. The phantom is definitely not one of them. The board is not corky at all. Thats also the beauty of custom boards is that what is bliss for one person might drive another crazy so the shaper will change and adjust accordingly.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal