Author Topic: Next Level Foiling with Small Tail  (Read 656 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Next Level Foiling with Small Tail
« on: June 18, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »
I have been testing big (ger) wings with small tails for a while.  I found that the GoFoil IWA flies OK with the small tail until you move your front foot back, way back.  Then it flies great.

The tail serves as a STABILIZER.  My go-to setup has been the IWA with the KAI rear wing and tall mast.  With this setup I rarely if ever overfoil.

Since the winter is over the size has come down.  It was small enough recently, 4 to 5 foot faces, that I installed the Maliko 200 on the Tall mast with KAI tail.  I had never flown the BIG wing with the small tail.  However I figured I would give it a try.

IT WAS FANTASTIC! It flew.  It flew really, really well.  The key is having the ability to shift you front foot BACK 4 5 INCHES from the usual takeoff stance.

I have had great results with the Cabrinha adjustable straps.  It extends up to 11 and allow for 5 inches of adjustability on my front foot.   
The smaller tail reduces the stabilization effect allowing for a more twitchy, pumpy feel.  AND the Big Wing didnt feel slow and lumbering. 

Here I was flying on the IWA with KAI tail.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:18:12 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Next Level Foiling with Small Tail
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 02:08:47 PM »
Conditions were arguable 'Bad' and I was flying all over the place, powered up on 5 ft @ 8 second stuff through chop.

10 minutes of total flight time is absurd!  Longest rides were over 400 yards. 

Big Wings with Small Tails WORK!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:13:33 PM by Beasho »

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 06:58:08 PM »
Ive seen a few here who have cut down the Maliko tails while using the larger front wings. I think it may make the foil feel looser and a bit easier to pump. Maybe a little less lift in the trade off.
Beasho, you need to visit here and work on turning the 10min. of flight time into 10 miles. Im making some progress. Fell twice (yard sales) and came off foil about five more times. Still got a ways to go but if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Im hooked!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 02:35:44 PM »
Ive seen a few here who have cut down the Maliko tails while using the larger front wings. I think it may make the foil feel looser and a bit easier to pump. Maybe a little less lift in the trade off.
Beasho, you need to visit here and work on turning the 10min. of flight time into 10 miles.

Just when I think I have it good in California  :o

You guys in Maui are pushing it. 

The "less lift" theory comes from the feeling on the front foot.  However THE FRONT WING IS STILL THERE generating 100% of the same lift.  The ironic things is that the small tail wing produces LESS downforce.  Less downforce means less drag and therefore should result in higher speeds and more ultimate lift on the front wing. 

I was skeptical until I tried it.  BUT I refer to it as "Next Level" because it does require better pitch control with your front foot which comes with practice. 

The benefits are 1) More Speed 2) More Lift 3) Less Overfoil

Should fly better!

jondrums

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 10:43:18 PM »
I have a thread on my cut down rear wing, which is about halfway between the maliko/iwa rear wing and the kai rear wing.  I still really like it, for all the same reasons you listed.  It really made the setup come alive, its faster, more maneuverable, and much more manageable on steeper stuff because it won't overfoil.  Not for beginners because it requires very active pitch control.