Author Topic: genration boards - Sunova Poynter Hughes  (Read 27241 times)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: genration boards - Sunova Poynter Hughes
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 09:37:59 AM »
Its kinda wild that the Kanga actually has the least volume for the size compared to the other boards. the 8'6 SP25 is 129L.

It doesn't look like any of the big market share SUP companies have done anything notable to their performance surf lines for 2020. This is where its at if you are surfing hard, either that or order it custom yourself.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 09:50:17 AM by exiled »

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »
NJS and exiled, I agree, these board are worth serious consideration.

My quick take on each model:
Just to give some sense of what may suit each SUPster.

Semi unsubstantiated... simply my gut, after watching them surfed and looking them over as they were explained to me, then riding the 8'6 Kanga and looking at the numbers on each model.

NOTE:
ALL boards and sizes have been specifically designed for maximum performance.... rails are low and performance foiled on every model.
Different techniques were used on each model, to achieve optimum rail performance
All boards have reasonably flat standing areas.
All models come with 5 Futures boxes.
SP 25, Wedge and Kanga, were designed to be ridden smaller, than your usual size

Best if I simply tell you what size I will ask for... and why.
--------------------------------
SP 24
9'6 x 32.5 at 170 liters

This is a tough one for me, after my experience with my very pointy nose Acid 9'4 x 32.5 at 136 L
The Acid is super tough for me in winter gear, because the low volume nose and tail, dips under so easily.
The SP 24 has 20 liters more... but the same thin nose and tail.
Since this is designed for serious size and juice... I'll only ride it in the biggest waves I surf, so going all in on comfort

This is a special situation board and extra size won't hurt me, it will only help me in serious swells.
and paddle to those remote point with ease!
---------------------------------

SP 25
8'9 x 32 at 146 liters

Easy call because this is a small to medium wave ripper with easy stability for me.... even in winter gear.
Ample width and volume under your back foot for quick take-off speed and super maneuverability
I could go 8'6 in summer.

Watching what Sean Poynter slash this board around... looks like the small wave, pick of the litter. (pic)
-------------------------------

Wedge
9'2 x 31.4 at 156 liters

Also an easy call, because the nose and tail have adequate width and volume to suit me year round in most conditions.

Daniel Hughes carried and generated more speed on this board than any SUP I have ever seen.
After a full rail gouging turn, he would launch a true air, land it and be at full speed instantly, for the next turn.

I am looking at this board to be my go-to for most conditions.
In a perfect world, I would also have the 8'10 for summer  ;D
-------------------------------

Kanga
9'3 x 32.75 at 155 liters

Also an easy call, this will be my comfort board year round..... great performance in all conditions.
This board will handle any size and conditions easily.
The rails and rocker are perfect and felt like this more traditional shape will surf easily and will excel in anything you throw at it.
In my perfect world, I'd also have this in 8'10.... an easy summer size for me.

In smaller sizes, this will be a ripper
In bigger sizes... it gets comfy real quick  :)

Note:
This will also be the perfect "Big Boy" or even as a starter board, because the bigger sizes will suit almost anyone.
The kind of board you could learn to SUP surf on.... then progress all the way to advanced SUPster, without ever changing boards.
--------------------------------

Sean Poynter.... doing his thing on the SP 25
yeah.... it goes alright  ;)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 07:46:27 AM »
Looking forward to trying the SP line. I'm currently on a 7'7 Acid. Creek how does the SP line ride compared to the Acid?

supthecreek

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2019, 02:00:04 PM »
Hi SaMo

I only had a short stint on the 8'6 Kanga so far.
Lobbying to get some sent to me so I can do some full reviews and vids.

They are all really quite different from the Acid.

I am expecting the SP 24 and Wedge to have minimal swing weight like the Acid.
The SP 25, Wedge and Kanga can be ridden much shorter than the Acid
quick example
8'11   SP 24 = 140 L
8'9     SP 25 = 146 L
8'10  Wedge = 140 L
8'10   Kanga = 135 L
8'10      Acid = 116 L

They pack in some float while maintaining sweet performance rails, plus nose and tails stay thin. NO domed decks. Magic  :)
Seeing them in person, giving them the full hands on, really sold me on them so far.... can't wait to have some for full on testing!

Make no mistake....... these boards were designed for Pros to beat the best in the world.
No compromises.

You get the exact same board they ride on the world tour..... not a look-a-like.

Some pics of Sean Poynter spending 1.5 hours showing me all the boards... in detail. Super nice guy!!!
and a Kook Hat Cam shot of me paddling for a wave on the 8'6 Kanga... and a water shot that kind of shows the deck and rails

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 02:11:30 PM »
Too funny....  my buddy Cisco from Portugal, just posted this vid on FaceBook

Some cool clips of Daniel Hughes surfing the GenRation Wedge are mixed in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jr2AYF_bkY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2jQ1UfiZhhubXzfjf-nyu4U58qxzf6F3KKq6bm-rFo9vaH1xUsmJ6K2Bk

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 03:47:59 PM »
Cool vid. Watching some crazy good young guns  ripping in funky waves.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2019, 08:16:31 AM »
Looks like Kanga lost some weight too.  Good looking boards
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2019, 11:56:02 AM »
Man, if I were made of money I would have ordered that 8'0 wedge already as my next challenge board. Ticks almost all of the boxes if it works well as a thruster. Creek, did they give you any better sense of the wave ranges for the different boards? When do you switch from the SP24 to the SP25? What size wave does the wedge max out at? Are you already developing your next gen step railed Creek 2.0?  ;D

supthecreek

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 05:03:12 AM »
Hi exiled, I hear ya!
I can't wait to get some real time on these boards, to get a feel for the differences between them!

No, the Creek won't be changing cuz it meets a lot of needs as is.... a good solid shape that should hang around for while!

I watched Sean surf both the 24 and the 25 in the same small clean waves.
He was seeing how the 24 would go in weaker surf and he ripped it.... but the 25 was the right call for those waves.

Honestly, after watching Daniel lay down some amazing rail turns on the Wedge... I think that board is going to meet a lot of conditions.
The video above show Daniel in some pretty good size and laying down the same turns without skipping a beat.

The Kanga is simply a solid traditional shape, with performance and volume tweaks that make it a winner for a massive range of riders.

So far, my take is the the Wedge, SP 24 and Kanga will all handle a lot size more than I will ever surf.
I wish I had the Wedge 9'2 for Humberto.... it would have been a great test for all of them but that's the one I want to try first (ps.... the Creek was fine) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal