Author Topic: genration boards - Sunova Poynter Hughes  (Read 27240 times)

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
genration boards - Sunova Poynter Hughes
« on: June 18, 2019, 07:39:06 AM »
Any body see this one flying under the radar?  https://genration.com
Looks like a new company from Sunova with Sean Poynter and Daniel Hughes riding these tiny boards with no tractions pads. Look like they have some step-down rails and they are making one for "heavier" riders. Looking pretty sweet.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: genration boards - Sunova Poynter Hughes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »
Funny you should mention that. Last Thursday I was out foiling Fenceline (Sano) on a pretty decent day, and looked down to Nukes to see a couple guys (one guy in particular) just shearing the tops off of the head high waves there for about an hour. I couldn't tell who they actually were due to the distance, and didn't recognize either's "style" if you will (we get some good guys out here at times, but not that good regularly), but marveled at their SUP skills.

Well later that day back on the beach I looked down the sand, and recognized Daniel a few cars away from me, and it all made instant sense to me as to who I was watching earlier. So wandered on over to see what he's been up to lately, as I've know Danial and his brother Matt for quite sometime, but hadn't seen him/them in a couple of years at least...and he talked about how excited he was with his new "Generation" ride (he had been with Kings for 9+ years), and how he and Sean were able to work on the design line together with the folks at Sunova.

He was thrilled to showoff the construction, and dang near tossed the board to me so I could "feel how light it is". Well dang, it was light, feather light, and despite its lightness, seemed solid as a rock. We don't see too many Sunovas yet around here yet (at least I haven't seen but one or two), so I've not actually looked one over closely until Danny tossed me his...and I gotta say, "I'm impressed".

So if any of youse guys know any of those Sunova guys...let 'em know if they want/need a demo rider for one of their SUP foil boards in the Sano/SoCal area...I'd be more than happy to help 'em out. Think I might be able to make that 6'3" look pretty good, but they'd have to put another set of forward boxes in it for my "Angledfoil" (have 'em call me, and I'll tell them where they need to put 'em). LOL! ;) ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:36:34 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »
Ha ha! Thanks for the story

Although I will never ride a toothpick, I still get excited over new boards. As a heavier rider (especially than those two) and of questionable skill level, I would certainly be an excellent candidate for a similar demo-rider situation.

;) ;D
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 11:00:47 AM »
Lines like 'high performance for bigger guys' always gets me interested. Futures fin boxes are nice, and I know some here will love the standard handles.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:51:06 AM »
The bigger board is the Kanga! I suspect Ian Cairns is also there.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »
Nice looking shape but way too narrow for most mortals. Good to see they went with a proper handle.

I do like the looks of the new Sunova Placid. The 8'3 X 30.5"  112L would be perfect for me.

Photo - https://www.seabreeze.com.au/img/photos/stand_up_paddle/15106272.jpg

https://youtu.be/EvEoVn9o0NM

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:01:54 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 06:56:58 PM »
James had his Placid on our Maldives trip and he really made the board look good, or visa versa. James is an amazing surfer and can rip on anything but it seemed to me that he jumped up a couple of levels when he got the placid. He and Bert said it is basically a twinnie with a small trailing fin.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 12:29:57 AM »
If the Kanga runs more volume than a similar sized flash or acid, then that is where my money would go. The placid sounds like a fun board, but I think I would rather get a SMIK hipster and enjoy a very similar concept expect with more volume for added comfort.

MDG

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 11:28:59 AM »
Genration website updated with board sizes. Still no outline, rail. rocker, etc. details that would help explain the differences between the models - and with the outline pics of each model looking exactly the same as each other it is hard to reconcile the descriptions. For example - the Kanga is the 'most stable board we offer' yet board size similar to the SP25 is narrower with less volume (i.e. Kanga: 8'2" 28 13/16 106L  vs. SP25: 8'3" 29 7/8 118L).

Also, no detail on the construction/layup differences from the 'traditional' Sunovas - I believe the video of the Sunova dealer meeting mentions 'lighter' due to the high performance focus. If so how does this translate in terms of durability?

Note fins and deck pad is extra $
Sunova Flash 8'6"
Bill Foote Rocket 8'4"

Seacoast NH

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 02:49:51 PM »
+1 MDG. Dims on the Kanga and the SP do not make sense at normal olde fahrte dms.
Also the Hughes board is quite different in real life. Double wing elliptical tail. But not in their glam pics.
Buy now before the price increase!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 06:02:43 PM »
Pleasantly surprised on some of these volume numbers. I'd love to know where they are hiding the volume. The length to width ratios of the wedge are close to the acid, but with like ~10 extra liters of volume. That step rail must be doing some real work.

MDG

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 09:29:45 AM »
A few more updates on the Genration website, including new SP24 and Falcon. Pic of the Wedge updated that better shows the stepped rails and double winged tail. Kanga shown with deck pad.

Bert himself chimed in on the Wedge over on the breeze: https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/New-sunova-boards?page=1

Would like to hear more on the SPs and Kanga, but questions directed to genration seem to go unanswered. 
Sunova Flash 8'6"
Bill Foote Rocket 8'4"

Seacoast NH

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 06:02:21 PM »
any mortals been on a Genration yet?  IE people riding boards with 1.1 ratios or greater?

I missed what seemed like a great opportunity to check them out at the Long Beacj NY Sup Event

Super interested in what looks like alot of smart thinking for regular suppers going into these models.  Especially the Cairns model.

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 08:10:50 PM »
I am as mortal as they come.... and I have ridden a GenRation!
The GenRation guys were competing in NY APP Pro on Long Island, so I headed down there with only one objective:
To see, touch, feel their boards and ask the boys all about the boards.
They were super nice and open with me... and spent hours talking about the boards.

What amazed me was how these Pro models, sized up for average riders. (Badger, there's plenty of width per size)
They carry more volume and width than the Creek.
I could ride smaller lengths and still get ample volume, thanks to the stepped rails.
The rails on all boards were super nice, low performance rails.... and the decks were relatively flat, for the higher volume.

Sean Poynter and Daniel Hughes said they could ride boards at ankle depth, while their competition were sinking to their waist.
They loved the advantage of getting into wave super early... and still have more performance that any board they have ever ridden!

I am waiting to complete my video on the trip.... but first, I want to chat with Tino (Sunova) to find out how this all fits together.

Short answer:
These boards are the real deal and the guys are wild about them.

NOTE:
They ride STOCK boards....You will get the EXACT same board they ride, scaled up to your size.
These boards are the result of a long design process, between each rider and Bert Burger.... when they were 100% happy, they announced the GenRation line.
They change nothing for the stock boards.
The pros may opt for the lighter "Vapor" build... but I couldn't tell it from stock XXX construction.

They invited to meet up with me for a dawn patrol session on the last day of the competition.
Sean told me I'd have no problem riding Ian Cairns board, since he's 240 lbs. Ok, great.

Ha ha... Ian's board, the Kanga, was 8'6 x 30" at 120 liters
I weighed in that day at 238 lbs... so the board was at 1.1 x body weight.
The smallest board I have ever spent an hour on, in the surf..... and actually, it was sort of doable.
I wobbled and struggled, but was able to remain upright most of the session.
It was dead high tide, and waves weren't breaking, so only one weak wave..... but I had a good feel for the board.

Here's a few stills from my days with them..... the last 2 are the 8'6 Kanga I rode.
I used a shot from in the water to show the rails and deck

Video soon.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 09:04:19 AM »
yess Creek!   Exactly what I was hoping for!   

thanks so much for posting!   may look into the Ian Model prior to my Maldives trip- (with my fluctuating waistline need to buy close to the the trip for the right volume! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal