Author Topic: Latest Build ... Tic Tac Two  (Read 11999 times)

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Build ... Tic Tac Two
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 07:48:48 AM »
I'm about ready to build a new board and San Clemente is fairly close to me so I have a few questions, por favor. Did you design it yourself with Shape 3D? Did Bashrams do everything (cut the blank, CNC shaping, color, glassing)?

I design the board in Shape 3D.   

Then I send the file over to Bashams via email.  You'll need to confirm what type of blank you want (stringerless 1.5# EPS in my case) and they'll get back to you with a quote for the blank and the cut.

Once ordered it took about a week for them to get the blank and CNC it.  Once ready I bring it home for a little finish sanding (doesn't require much), sealing and paint.

I usually seal my blanks with Z-Seal after sanding but skipped it on this board. 

I use DecoArt Americana Acrylic paint mixed 50-50 with water for painting the board.  I apply paint linearly with a sponge to get a resin tint effect.  It's inexpensive (I usually spend about $4 on paint) and gives a good result. 

Once paint is dry I mark my leash and fin box positions then take it back to Bashams for glassing.  I don't use handles anymore but you'll want to mark that position too.   Put a set of fins on the back of the board when determining center balance point for the handle position.

My experience with Bashams is that they have a pretty quick turnaround as long as you don't have them do any color and you keep the glass job straight forward.  My last two boards with 6+6/6 glassing (no color, no cut laps) took 2 and 3 weeks respectively.

In addition to their order sheet I give them my own order sheet showing things like type of fin boxes, lam placement etc.   I use www.boardlams.com for my lams.  See sample order sheet below...

Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 08:18:38 AM »
Thats awesome anonsurfer. Love that we got people who design and ride their own gear. I think its hilarious how you designed your tic tacs to look like foamies. I love it. Im very impressed you can stand on a board that narrow.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 09:21:03 AM »
I'm about ready to build a new board and San Clemente is fairly close to me so I have a few questions, por favor. Did you design it yourself with Shape 3D? Did Bashrams do everything (cut the blank, CNC shaping, color, glassing)?

My experience with Bashams is that they have a pretty quick turnaround as long as you don't have them do any color and you keep the glass job straight forward.  My last two boards with 6+6/6 glassing (no color, no cut laps) took 2 and 3 weeks respectively.

In addition to their order sheet I give them my own order sheet showing things like type of fin boxes, lam placement etc.   I use www.boardlams.com for my lams.  See sample order sheet below...

I don't know if you've met Vic who sands for Bashams, but he's a good friend of mine. We played in a band together for over 15 years.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 01:57:20 PM »
I use DecoArt Americana Acrylic paint mixed 50-50 with water for painting the board.  I apply paint linearly with a sponge to get a resin tint effect.  It's inexpensive (I usually spend about $4 on paint) and gives a good result. 

That paint plan looks sharp.

Can anyone weigh in on how paint affects the long term integrity of the board? ie Is the bonding of glass to core affected if there is a layer of paint in between? An alternative would be to use resin based paint, or to paint the outside of the board, or go with tinted resin.

Also, I've read that the use of water as an acrylic thinner disrupts the binders in the paint such that the paint won't last (in an art context). Mind you, you are sealing it under layers of resin and glass so that wouldn't be an issue, but I wonder how it affects the situation in my first question.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2019, 05:28:47 PM »
I don't know if you've met Vic who sands for Bashams, but he's a good friend of mine. We played in a band together for over 15 years.

I have not met Vic.  I mostly talk to Eric and Chuck.   

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2019, 05:43:22 PM »
That paint plan looks sharp.
Thank you.   I was not a fan of the orange at first but now I really like it.   

Can anyone weigh in on how paint affects the long term integrity of the board? ie Is the bonding of glass to core affected if there is a layer of paint in between? An alternative would be to use resin based paint, or to paint the outside of the board, or go with tinted resin.

I was concerned when I first started painting my own blanks that there would be problems with the glass bonding correctly but I have not experienced any issues so far.   Many shapers air brush their boards for color before glassing.  Maybe the key is to not use too much paint.    I think resin tint is better but it adds cost and time to the glass job.  The color never comes out the way I want either.    With paint I have total control over the final look of the board (for better or worse).

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2019, 06:15:46 PM »
I've been enjoying the board so I decided to add some traction.  Creatures "Front Deck III" up front and "The Wide" tail pad.   

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 10:20:04 AM »
Very cool, and great work!
Sorry I missed you on my last trip out west. It seemed every time I checked DoHO last winter it was small or crap. Maybe this fall 🤙🏼

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal