Author Topic: Chartplotter unit, handheld GPS, or mobile app for navigation  (Read 1690 times)

diveChick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
For standup fishing and longer paddleboarding (non-fishing) treks, what do you prefer to use for navigation? Chartplotter unit, handheld GPS, mobile app?

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chartplotter unit, handheld GPS, or mobile app for navigation
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 03:44:42 AM »
I usually never go far offshore on board, so I don't loose shoreline out of view. My Garmin watch has navigation though. When I go kayak fishing I have navigation/chart plotter on fishfinder and handheld VHF  - both would be too bulky for SUP.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 04:44:12 AM »
I usually never go far offshore on board, so I don't loose shoreline out of view. My Garmin watch has navigation though. When I go kayak fishing I have navigation/chart plotter on fishfinder and handheld VHF  - both would be too bulky for SUP.
I go offshore with kayakers to fish and I just got a HH VHF. I am going to start wearing a paddling vest instead of just the belt and clip it on. It's as much or more for chat as anything else. I do have my phone in a waterproof pouch packed away, but could pull it out pretty quickly to use as a GPS. I have a really small waterproof compass clipped to a block in my ledge handle as a last line of defense. I am in NC, so heading west (or NW if down at Oak Island) would get me to shore in a SHTF situation. Not that landing would be much fun in a situation like that. Best hope it never comes down to that. I have been 4 times so far and each time got to about 2 miles out at the furthest, in good weather and able to see land the whole time. I will still feel better with the VHF.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 05:12:05 AM »
I go offshore with kayakers to fish and I just got a HH VHF. I am going to start wearing a paddling vest instead of just the belt and clip it on. It's as much or more for chat as anything else. I do have my phone in a waterproof pouch packed away, but could pull it out pretty quickly to use as a GPS. I have a really small waterproof compass clipped to a block in my ledge handle as a last line of defense. I am in NC, so heading west (or NW if down at Oak Island) would get me to shore in a SHTF situation. Not that landing would be much fun in a situation like that. Best hope it never comes down to that. I have been 4 times so far and each time got to about 2 miles out at the furthest, in good weather and able to see land the whole time. I will still feel better with the VHF.

I forgot to mention. I consider my VHF bulky because it's floating and not the smallest device on the market. On another hand, it has built-in GPS and  DCS function. I registered in with USCG so they would get a GPS location if distress signal is activated.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 06:37:51 AM »

I forgot to mention. I consider my VHF bulky because it's floating and not the smallest device on the market. On another hand, it has built-in GPS and  DCS function. I registered in with USCG so they would get a GPS location if distress signal is activated.
I do have to admit that one of the driving forces behind the decision for me is that I just carry gear on my touring board and I am not going to get any sophisticated electronics. These are friendly trips, not competitions, and people freely share info when they mark fish, bait and structure. We fish artificial reefs and it's piles of stuff here and there, not one big connected structure.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 10:59:28 AM »
I use this one and it works great.  Just get the bluechart chip if you need detail of the water.  I use mine all over Florida and have no problem.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/140022

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal