Author Topic: Maximum ambient temperature for long-term board storage?  (Read 1626 times)

jsb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Maximum ambient temperature for long-term board storage?
« on: June 15, 2019, 10:57:22 AM »
I've always stored my boards in my garage, which was partially shaded, and probably never got above 120*F (50*C), even in the summer.

I recently sold my house, however, and I’m now storing my boards in a self-storage facility (non climate-controlled).  The unit is basically a corrugated metal shack, with no shade and a virtually flat roof.  We haven’t really hit summer yet (I’m in New England), but based on how hot the unit has been even on sunny spring days, I’m concerned that the ambient temperatures may reach 150*F (65*C) or even higher during the summer.

Just to be clear:  This is different from the problem of leaving a board on the roof of your car during the summer.  My boards are fully shaded, and I will not be plunging a hot board into the cold ocean.  OTOH, we’re talking about chronic exposure to whatever the temperatures end up being.

Does anybody know the maximum temperature at which you can safely store a SUP or surfboard without causing long-term damage? 

I have a variety of boards, all with slightly different layups:

-JL Stun Gun (carbon sandwich)
   -Sunova Flow (balsa sandwich)
   -Naish Mana (EPS, non-sandwich)
   -Angulo Shaka XLT (not sure of layup)

But these all share an EPS core [not sure about the Shaka?], and presumably use similar resins, so their reaction to temperatures should be relatively uniform (I assume).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum ambient temperature for long-term board storage?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 07:56:41 PM »
Technically, they should be fine. Over time the resin will get a little harder, but that's about it. At around 150 F the epoxy starts to loose structural rigidity, but it recovers as soon as the temperature drops, and the resultant heat cycle finishes a lot of the incomplete polymerization--which is why a lot of builders bake their boards in a storage bin like you describe. SIC had one at their shop in Haile Maile--baking in the Maui sun. I went into it to help carry out my new board and it felt like my hair was going to catch on fire. Carbon fiber reinforced epoxies can stand much higher heat, up to about 250F for simple carbon plus epoxy and up to 1500F for special chemistries. If you have any water in the boards that can't get out they might delam and if the vent doesn't work you might puff the board up. I might consider pulling the vent plugs, though I'd likely forget to put them back in, or forget where I put them. For the most part, baking the board without UV exposure should make them stronger and perhaps a little more brittle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jsb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:20:30 PM »
Technically, they should be fine. Over time the resin will get a little harder, but that's about it. At around 150 F the epoxy starts to loose structural rigidity, but it recovers as soon as the temperature drops, and the resultant heat cycle finishes a lot of the incomplete polymerization--which is why a lot of builders bake their boards in a storage bin like you describe.

PB - I was hoping you’d respond to my query, ‘coz I knew if you did, you’d have something definitive to contribute. 

You remind me of those old Dos Equis ads:  “I don’t always have something to say, but when I do, it’s generally authoritative.  Stay curious, my friends.”   8)

Thanks!

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 09:09:52 AM »
For the most part, baking the board without UV exposure should make them stronger and perhaps a little more brittle.

Interesting stuff.   Assuming the board is properly vented what would happen if you bake an EPS/Epoxy board in the sun, i.e. with UV exposure, for a short period (1-2 hours)?   
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal