Author Topic: Which transport method to use?  (Read 2379 times)

Inland

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Which transport method to use?
« on: June 15, 2019, 07:13:44 AM »
Picking up a 12'6" carbon board today and two methods to bring it home. Going to be a 1.5 hour return trip by freeway.
  • 4 door sedan with Yakima rack.  Bars are only spaced 22" apart. This would leave almost 5.5' overhang front and back
  • SUV with trailer - no roof rack.   Trailer is 10' long and the board will rest on the floor in the front and drop down gate in the rear.   Really bouncy ride.

What would you choose? Kind if worried about too much overhang with the car.  Would bow and stern lines be the solution?   The trailer has a really harsh ride with no load in it and I don't want to damage the board even if it's strapped securely.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Which transport method to use?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:07:48 AM »
If it was me, I'd go with the 4 door sedan as long as the sedan has some soft roof pads to put over the Yakima roof racks.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:18:01 AM »
Sedan. Put the board on either fin first or fin up either way so the wind will push the board down. Fin first makes it easy to add a light safety line from the leash loop to the front bumper and the flat rocker minimizes lift on the board.

Of course those comments may start a shitstorm since board carrying is a matter of religious significance.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

puget sound

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 08:19:11 AM »
Agreed...and if you don't have fancy soft pads, a pool noodle will fit nicely over those Yakima bars.
Starboard Sprint 21.5 / SIC RS 14x23 / SIC Bullet V1

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 08:32:33 AM »
4dr sedan for sure, the only worry would be making sure its secure on bow and stern. I run a 2dr Civic with Thule aero bars, but I've alos had Yakima round bars, and soft Surf board racks that attach with straps through the car.... never had a poblem and I often run up ro 2:15 at hiway plus speeds to get to fishing grunds... currently have a 12'6" and previously have 13'6" boards, plus I also carry a 14'4" canoe, 15'4" kayak for many years.

When I started carrying the SUP I did add soft pads to the hard rack bars to prevent contact dings in the fragile SUP.

My bars are only 18" apart.. not what Thule or Yakima recommend.

The canoes and kayaks have bow & stern attachment areas where I can attach a bow/stern line but the 12'6"UP does not. I purchased a product made by Yakima SUPBrah, perhaps not made any more, but its webbed straps that loop around te bow & stern with a strap front to back to keep this setup in place, then this has attachment points front and rear so I can get a good solid secure tie-down.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:36:25 AM by krash »
Old fugger who just likes to fish

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 09:43:52 AM »
krash,

Look into hood loops:

https://www.amazon.com/Sherpak-Built-U-S-Hood-Loops/dp/B0024ALDMS

I have a pair. Bolted in, flipped under so you don't see them most of the time and just pop the hood and pull them out to haul. I feel a lot better with it pulled to both sides with separate lines. I am hauling a 14'x30" touring board and my bars are further apart than yours on my 4 door Elantra, but not as far apart as you would think because of the curve of the roof and the "fin" for the satellite radio.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 06:39:40 AM »
I have some of those hood loops.. had the ones with the groment, but this '08 Civic does not have bolts like other years had in the right place.. I also have a set from Yakima that have a rubber hose where you open the hood put them in the crack and close the hood on them...

But with the short car/longer boards/canoe/kayak I like the setup I have.. the Civic's so far have 2 tie down rings below & under the valance in the front and one dead center in the rear.. I made a DIY - Y setup with good no stretch line & caribiners on each end, simply lean down clip them to the tie-down rings, then have a centerline single going upwards to the board... it would be just as easy to use two lines but I have been doing it this way for 20 plus years with no side to side issues.
The Sup Brah adds a tie-down option bow/stern on the board itself, as most do not have any way to attach to the bow or stern.. I would not trust simple leash plugs for that stress, I cincg it down pretty tight. In the photo you can see it also has a webbed strap to be connected bow/stern and I simple us my Y setup and attach to that webbed strap, I could remove it and use 2 lines and perhaps add a little more stability side to side at the front.
I just sold an old pair of racks to a guy with a 2019 Civic and the new ones do not have the tie-down rings.. so he uses a set of the loops like that.

The only side to side action I get is with my canoe in heavy winds, or when pulling up on and passing a big rig, it would wiggle a little and slide an inch or so at the center point so I added a piece of 1/2" line as wide as the gunwales, on top of the racks, used shrink wrap to honle them in place, work like load stops and stopped all the motion. I actually shrink wrapped the entire Thule Aero Bar, becaus ethey have a rubber strip on the top that is not non-marking rubber and left black marks on the contact points of my paddle craft, at the sme time I painted the bars black and blacked it all out to match the car better.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:50:25 AM by krash »
Old fugger who just likes to fish

Inland

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 02:15:38 PM »
Well,  was getting ready to go and my dad was over and said,  "take my mini van,  it has aroof rack."  So we went together to pick up the board.   His rack is spaced further apart than mine and we had no problem with straps on each bar and a third around the center and through the rear doors.   70 mph all the way home and the board didn't move an inch.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 07:08:56 PM »
Well, hell. We wasted all those perfectly good electrons.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 03:38:51 AM »
Well, hell. We wasted all those perfectly good electrons.
Probably a few lurkers soaking in the info.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 05:05:06 PM »
oops wrong thread
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:38:00 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"