Author Topic: GoFoil 1.5 Release  (Read 291802 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: GoFoil 1.5 Release
« Reply #240 on: December 17, 2019, 09:46:18 PM »
Your experience is not at all correlated to mine.  On my very first session on the GL210, it was immediately obvious that it is way faster and smoother than the either the IWA or M200.  The M200 has always been a dog, clearly slower and less maneuverable than the IWA.  The cut maliko tail really helped but in comparison the GL210 is like a rocketship.

After several hundred waves I agree with Jondrums.   No comparison between the enhanced capabilities of the GL210 vs previous GoFoil wings. 

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: December 18, 2019, 09:59:08 AM »
Damn, I wonder what's holding my back.  Must have something to do with that rumbling I get which causes loss of lift and speed.  I did notice that the fuselage fitment to the wing is not great, there is almost a 1/4" lip going from the fuse to the front wing (pic attached).  The lip is also at the trailing edge of the main wing, so maybe it's creating a cavitation and spreading to the wing causing a stall.  I think I read somewhere someone faired their wing to the fuse.  Maybe I need to try and do something like this.  The wing did feel faster, but it did not pump well and it did not take off well, and according to GPS it was not a lot faster, just 1-2mph.  There must be something wrong with mine.  I didn't think much about this, but the top surface of the front wing has an indented area.  It's not very deep, but in the light you can see where there is a flaw.

Beasho, what top speeds have you seen on the 210?  If mine is significantly slower, then that kind of confirms there's an issue with my setup.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 18, 2019, 11:11:40 AM »
I'm using the 240, but I think I'm going to get a 210. alex tells me I should, he says the 240 is too hard to manuver and I agree. It's a super long wing and turns very slowly. Fine for winging, I think, but by the time I get turned on a wave I"m out of the energy and I have to pump like mad (using my lame funky chicken pump skills) to stay up while the wave catches up.

the pedestal is super sensitive to changes in angle. I added one thin washer of lift and it became unrideable--I was flying out of the waves no matter where I stood on the board. I'm going to make a bunch of shims with the cheap 3D printer I just assembled with very small increments in both directions. I think the tuning is necessary. I tried a credit card thickness shim negative and dramatically decreased lift and increased speed. It felt like I released the parking brake. In fact, it made the wing too fast for my limited turning ability with the 240, another reason to get a 210.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: December 18, 2019, 12:56:29 PM »
I don't use washers on the 18W and there's no need to.
I can't understand why you would wanna play with angle unless your board has either too much rocker or reverse rocker but you can control the pitch anyway on takeoff and during flights.
I never had those issues you mention sharksupper and it took me a few sessions to get to know the GL210 (I also had the M200 and IWA wings). With GL210 I 1st tried it with the kai and didn't like it then I went to maliko tail but I outgrow it after a few sessions and went to kai and like that and then I made a decision to the 18W and wow, a game-changer for me.
I threw the 18N on with the Iwa, and didn't find it to have enough lift for where I wanted/needed to stand on the board (didn't want to move my feet back, and didn't want to move the foil forward), so I added two washers to there rear screw, and found that that was then a little too much lift for what I was looking for.

I've since removed one washer to see how that goes, but the last time out I threw the Kai stab back on, and again had way too much fun for the conditions I was in. I do plan on trying the 18N again, but honestly, the Kai stab is really fun in all conditions I've had it in so far, so the 18N is gonna really have to do a lot better than it has the few times I've had it out...and I'm not sure an 1/8" washer is gonna be the miracle missing link...but hey, who knows...might as well give it a shot.

I'm surprised you didn't get that much lift with that combo. The IWA is like a lift machine and with 18N would be like turbo boost up. I would move that foil forward and if that doesn't work then move your feet stance back and if that doesn't work get another board that has a foil box much further forward than your current board. You really don't need to play with washers unless your board has rocker issue because you can control the pitch on take off and during glide.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 18, 2019, 11:22:07 PM »
The lip is also at the trailing edge of the main wing, so maybe it's creating a cavitation and spreading to the wing causing a stall.  I think I read somewhere someone faired their wing to the fuse.  Maybe I need to try and do something like this.

That was me.  I used bondo to fair all of those gaps just to try it.  It did nothing noticeable.  After talking to a hydrodynamics fluid-flow guy I know, he confirmed that it wouldn't do anything at all.  His point was that there is a huge ball of turbulent flow around the fuselage and turbulent flow isn't sensitive to these disturbances in terms of drag.  I doubt this is the problem.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #245 on: December 19, 2019, 12:11:44 AM »
Interesting, I just think about windsurfing fins.  if you have a nick in the trailing edge or any gaps around the fin it tends to spin out/stall/cavitate a lot easier.  Who knows.  I thought about melting hot wax into the gaps as a temporary test, but I bet the forces involved would rip it right out!

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: December 20, 2019, 04:30:36 AM »
Hi Shark supper. I have been struggling to get my GL210 dialled in after loving my IWA and M200. Up until now I have been using the 18N tail. Today I took the 210 out with the M200 tail and had a much better session. I mounted the foil in the same position in the tracks as the IWA/M200. I was a bit overcooked on some big interval swell but it was much more controllable. It still had great speed and much improved pump with the bigger tail. Think I am going to stick with this setup for now. I feel I could do with a longer mast as I'm still on the 24.5" with a tuttle to plate mount.
I would be interested to hear how the 18W tail compares to the 18N if anyone has both? :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 04:41:43 AM by supunk »

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: December 20, 2019, 08:13:54 AM »
I will take a pic of the wing to fuse connection on my foil for you to compare with yours tomorrow sharksupper. I was using an O ring in the gap to make it a little more aerodynamic but have not bothered in the last few sessions. It does not seem to make anymore noise without it. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 09:05:21 AM by supunk »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: December 20, 2019, 11:08:22 PM »
I don't use washers on the 18W and there's no need to.
I can't understand why you would wanna play with angle unless your board has either too much rocker or reverse rocker but you can control the pitch anyway on takeoff and during flights.
I never had those issues you mention sharksupper and it took me a few sessions to get to know the GL210 (I also had the M200 and IWA wings). With GL210 I 1st tried it with the kai and didn't like it then I went to maliko tail but I outgrow it after a few sessions and went to kai and like that and then I made a decision to the 18W and wow, a game-changer for me.
I threw the 18N on with the Iwa, and didn't find it to have enough lift for where I wanted/needed to stand on the board (didn't want to move my feet back, and didn't want to move the foil forward), so I added two washers to there rear screw, and found that that was then a little too much lift for what I was looking for.

I've since removed one washer to see how that goes, but the last time out I threw the Kai stab back on, and again had way too much fun for the conditions I was in. I do plan on trying the 18N again, but honestly, the Kai stab is really fun in all conditions I've had it in so far, so the 18N is gonna really have to do a lot better than it has the few times I've had it out...and I'm not sure an 1/8" washer is gonna be the miracle missing link...but hey, who knows...might as well give it a shot.

I'm surprised you didn't get that much lift with that combo. The IWA is like a lift machine and with 18N would be like turbo boost up. I would move that foil forward and if that doesn't work then move your feet stance back and if that doesn't work get another board that has a foil box much further forward than your current board. You really don't need to play with washers unless your board has rocker issue because you can control the pitch on take off and during glide.
I guess it all has to do with what you're trying to do on a foil board. I'm still searching to "surf" it like a surf board, and trying to turn it more like Austin is doing in that vid in hitting the whitewater, and snapping a turn...rather than cruising down the line, and then making a long(er) carving turn like Dave does in the same video.

Yes, both are great foilers, and each make what they do look smooth and effortless. But IMO, they're two different styles of foiling, and thus, the difference in the dihedral Kai tail, and the absolutely flat 18N make the types of turns one wants to do the difference of which one works best for it. The dihedral acts more like a fin to pivot or turn around when laid over, compared to the flat blade of the 18N that would rather try to turn flat, or slice through the water w/o as much grab of the water as the Kai.

Just the difference in the feel of the two different shaped stabs. Also, with the long pedestal of the 18N, it set the wing about a 1/2 to 3/4" further back than the Kai...basically lengthening the fuselage, and thus lengthening the turning radius of the foil also. Another reason I believe I don't get the same turn, and lift out of the turn w/ the 18N vs. the Kai. Again, JMO...OMMV.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2019, 05:24:44 AM »
Hi sharksupper. A pic of my GL210 wing/fuse :)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2019, 07:30:44 AM »
The dihedral acts more like a fin to pivot or turn around when laid over...
My mistake, guess it should have been "anhedral", a downward angle...not upward as posted originally. :-[
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 23, 2019, 10:22:00 PM »
Buoys were 9ft@ 13 seconds but the energy was peeling off on the outside in the wind.  It was 6 to 7 feet on the inside with ZIPPY takeoffs that would fade quickly.   

I was testing out the new GoPro 8.  I was worried there was constantly water on the lens BUT it appears to clear itself up mid-ride.

The speed down the line left is pretty cool.  GoFoil 210 GL Narrow Tail 7' 4" L41 board with Tuttle Base (reinstalled 3 times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhI15r6AsVg
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 10:24:30 PM by Beasho »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: December 23, 2019, 11:11:36 PM »
That GoPro 8 looks awesome! The image stabilization is really good. Noticeably better than my 5 black. I find that as long as I splash it down in the water every once in a while the lens stays clear. Nice flight.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: December 24, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
Buoys were 9ft@ 13 seconds but the energy was peeling off on the outside in the wind.  It was 6 to 7 feet on the inside with ZIPPY takeoffs that would fade quickly.   

I was testing out the new GoPro 8.  I was worried there was constantly water on the lens BUT it appears to clear itself up mid-ride.

The speed down the line left is pretty cool.  GoFoil 210 GL Narrow Tail 7' 4" L41 board with Tuttle Base (reinstalled 3 times)

A heart racing Beasho  :)
High speed, hard crashes and painful wacks but the reward is like hang on and enjoy the ride, woohoo!

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 02, 2020, 08:12:48 AM »
Some videos have been posted from the GoFoil Distributor Meetings with the bottom mount pedestal and new tails...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8CjN9fHSbt/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal