Author Topic: GoFoil 1.5 Release  (Read 216536 times)

JEG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GoFoil 1.5 Release
« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2019, 12:37:08 AM »
GL210 is nice indeed  8)

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2019, 08:28:30 AM »
Red, I'm 210lbs so we aren't in the same ballpark foilwise.  I haven't ridden the GL180, but the GL210 has roughly similar *initial* lift to the IWA170 and is about the same in maneuverability.  It is so much faster and lower drag that it glides through a lot more than the IWA does.  Once you get it foiling, you can ride a super soft wave as long as you keep your speed up.  I bet you could have a great time on a GL180, but for hopping from one swell to the next you'll probably prefer the 210.

Thanks Jondrums.
Derek H is riding the 180 here. Amazing float and glide. Love the maneuverability of his rig. Rider skill plays the largest part, but still, that thing glides, and almost slashes. Wonder how much he weighs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=203&v=41FTmYeLEG8&feature=emb_logo

Side note... Notice his pump, pump/paddle, pump, pump/paddle technique. Looks less disruptive than paddling, on every pump.

Thoughts?
-red

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Ponohouse is for sale. Great house but it's time for new adventures
« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2019, 09:59:24 AM »
Like some folks, I've been flinging money on foil stuff in every direction hoping to overcome a lack of talent and a fat ass with better gear. I have two pieces of advice from this endeavor. A. Don't do that. B. Learn the gear you have.

Like every other water sport, nearly every change is a variation on basic compromises. You, as the rider, need to accommodate the compromises. The first time I put the GL wing and tail on I paddled out and realized "wow, much less drag" then I got up on a wave and thought "holy shit, this thing is uncontrollable". It's not, if you stick with it you'll be fine, but it can and will move in every possible direction with minimal input from you. If a regular GoFoil is like learning to ride a unicycle, the GL is a unicycle with a six-foot post. It's also a lot faster than the equivalent standard GoFoil--which is a fine thing once you're used to it, but it enhances the "out of control" feeling greatly until you are, and doubles down on the challenges of trickier pitch and yaw control. I've literally exploded out of waves on my GL that I would have managed, or at least faceplanted at a reasonable speed, on the workhorse M200 or Iwa.

By comparison, the riders I know who have truly mastered what they already have, put the GL wing and tail on and were ecstatic with the performance. If you're really ready to step up, step up. But if you aren't riding your current gear to it's full potential, new gear won't make you better. It will just showcase your limitations.
Ponohouse is for sale: http://www.ponohouse.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Thatspec

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 01, 2019, 01:21:38 AM »
That is good advice Bill! I'm afraid to look at what I've thrown at this in just a few months but can estimate it's about the value of a decent used small pickup. Admittedly at least the used market is good.

The more of these videos I look at it's become obvious the super talented guys will make anything not only work but look awesome.
The latest being that James Casey video at Uluwatu on what is almost definitely a Kai front wing, seems to be going pretty fast on that dinosaur...

JEG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: December 01, 2019, 12:54:45 PM »
yeah PonoBill, good point and I almost bought another foil  8)