Author Topic: GoFoil 1.5 Release  (Read 291621 times)

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: GoFoil 1.5 Release
« Reply #210 on: November 16, 2019, 01:24:10 AM »
Gofoil if you're reading at this, we need you to bring out shorter fuselage and more tail wing options for mid 2020 season  ;)

...and reduced pricing, $800+ for a single front wing :o
These wings are quite good and can be retrofitted onto a Gofoil fuse, also made in China but 1/3 the $
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/gong-foil-allvator-surf-sup-front-wing-pro/

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2019, 10:20:00 AM »

it is in the works ....and no we wont have to replace the whole mast fuselage setup...they have new pedestals with multiple mounting holes for the tail wing effectively  making the distance between front and tail wings shorter...the problem is the pedestals and tail wings are all made by hand on maui not popped out of a mold in china so production is slower...

i would like to hear some other big guys feedback too on the 18n vs 18w wing

Thanks for the scuttlebutt, Clint.  Would be much more reasonable to pick up a new pedestal versus mast/fuselage.  Interesting... wonder how much it matters the relative position of the mast to front wing and tail.  You are welcome to try my 18n next time I see you in Ventura.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2019, 12:21:35 PM »
some people are modifying and chopping the old tails and I'm thinking about doing the same with my maliko and kai tails as the prices of these new wings are ridiculous.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2019, 11:27:20 PM »
In Europe it is even worse:
I already have a 29,5 mast but if I want to get the GL 240 plus tail and pedestal it will cost € 1156,66 incl shipping.

And the GL 180 would add another € 749.17 ::) ::)

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: November 21, 2019, 09:54:14 AM »
So being cheap and wanting to experiment.  I got just the pedestal and narrow wing.  I am still on the v1 GoFoil mast and Iwa wing.  After some sanding I was able to fit the pedestal onto the v1 fuselage.  Not that hard.  The new wing is so much smaller, thinner and narrow than the maliko tail i had on there.  Once installed the wing has some flex to it.   Not sure how that is going to feel, but I am hoping that this will loosen up the ride and increase some speed.  If conditions are decent, will test this out tomorrow.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2019, 11:05:45 AM »
In Europe it is even worse:
I already have a 29,5 mast but if I want to get the GL 240 plus tail and pedestal it will cost € 1156,66 incl shipping.

And the GL 180 would add another € 749.17 ::) ::)

I feel your pain soepkip. Those are actually slightly better prices than I've seen for GF parts here in Germany.

So being cheap and wanting to experiment.  I got just the pedestal and narrow wing.  I am still on the v1 GoFoil mast and Iwa wing.  After some sanding I was able to fit the pedestal onto the v1 fuselage.  Not that hard.  The new wing is so much smaller, thinner and narrow than the maliko tail i had on there.  Once installed the wing has some flex to it.   Not sure how that is going to feel, but I am hoping that this will loosen up the ride and increase some speed.  If conditions are decent, will test this out tomorrow.

fatfish, when I went to the 18W wide tail from the Maliko, there was noticeably less lift with the Iwa (kiting) and it did loosen up the turning and pumping. Now that I'm used to it I notice that the Maliko tail kind of dances around a bit in chop when I go back to it and has a lot more lift. If there's any speed difference it's no more than a couple mph.
I haven't played with the shimming at all, it's fine level. As to the flex you mention, the fit is definitely not up to what one would expect for the price. Suspect it varies from unit to unit.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 11:21:39 AM by Thatspec »

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: November 22, 2019, 11:35:17 AM »
So 1st ride review with the original GF IWA and the new pedestal narrow tail.  Waves were 2-4.  Definitely noticed less lift and less drag.  had to adjust my rear foot positioning and weighting to maintain height.  Next session i will push mast forward slightly.  On most waves, felt like I had to pump onto foil.  Unlike with the maliko tail, where it would just pop up.  This was nice as i felt like I wouldn't breach on later drops.  The lift felt more controllable. 

The main difference that I felt besides the lift was the turning and the slight additional speed.  Slippery, kind of like going from a single fin to a quad.  I think that i am going to like this setup.  I had low expectations, thinking I wouldn't like it.  But after riding it and then thinking that if i needed more lift i could adjust the angle to get more lift.  Nice to have some adjust-ability.  So I dont think i will be putting the maliko tail back on. 

I have been on the same rig for the past year so it was nice to tweak it a little for a different ride experience.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 22, 2019, 12:23:48 PM »
So 1st ride review with the original GF IWA and the new pedestal narrow tail. . . . I think that i am going to like this setup.  I had low expectations, thinking I wouldn't like it.  But after riding it and then thinking that if i needed more lift i could adjust the angle to get more lift.  Nice to have some adjust-ability.  So I dont think i will be putting the maliko tail back on. 

I have been on the same rig for the past year so it was nice to tweak it a little for a different ride experience.

Exactly.  The GL has LESS lift than the Maliko.  Once you get used to the lower lift, meaning you shift your weight back slightly, you will realize what a BIG STABILIZER was doing.  It was helping us to learn by STABILIZING similar to riding a long board.  I didn't think I could pump with the smaller tails but that was all bunk too.  You figure it out.  LESS tail is MORE better.

The KAI tail was an easy way to cut the lift down but the GL tail is much more efficient than the KAI tail.  I would NOT want to use either of those Anhedral set ups anymore.  Considering that the downsweep adds a VERTICAL component to the tail making it like a vertical rudder and therefore stabilizing further.  The GL wings are flat so the only thing(s) adding YAW stability are the fuselage and mast. 

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 23, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »
  I would NOT want to use either of those Anhedral set ups anymore.  Considering that the downsweep adds a VERTICAL component to the tail making it like a vertical rudder and therefore stabilizing further.  The GL wings are flat so the only thing(s) adding YAW stability are the fuselage and mast.

Beasho, I am running my IWA 170 with Maliko tail. I also run the M200 for tiny waves and maybe in the future for wind wing.

I can t afford to pull the trigger on the GL front wing. I want the 180 or 140. or both. i was wondering based on your statement quoted if it makes sense to pull the trigger on the 18 tail wing. I am thinking about how inefficient the legacy tails are now..  about what you are saying with regards to vertical rudder.

So I would be running the IWA 179/200 with new tail wing. Not sure if it fits on my legacy gofoil mast.

What are your thoughts please Beasho?
Thanks in advance.
-red

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: November 24, 2019, 07:11:40 AM »
Hey Red

I fitted the pedestal tail onto my legacy V1 GF mast.  Just a little sanding of the pedestal tail and it popped right on.  There is a GF video that Alex A. showing how to sand it.  Pretty simple just a little elbow grease.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #220 on: November 24, 2019, 09:45:36 AM »
Here is the video i referenced above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhwYh4Dl3ss

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 24, 2019, 09:47:01 AM »
seems like Fatfish has the right advise for you Red since he's running the new tail with the same front wings.

I came from a combo of IWA and M200, and that has been 100% replaced with the GL210 front wing with narrow tail.  I kept the old wings for a while, but I never wanted to use them again because the GL is so much better.  Honestly, I was having a ball with the IWA/M200 so you'd be best to just ignore this thread and my guess is that you'll be perfectly happy.  Once you know what you're missing, its hard to be happy anymore.  Ignorance is best for your wallet.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2019, 06:48:40 AM »
  I would NOT want to use either of those Anhedral set ups anymore.  Considering that the downsweep adds a VERTICAL component to the tail making it like a vertical rudder and therefore stabilizing further.  The GL wings are flat so the only thing(s) adding YAW stability are the fuselage and mast.

Beasho, I am running my IWA 170 with Maliko tail. I also run the M200 for tiny waves and maybe in the future for wind wing.
-red

If you have to do it in pieces then YES buy the GL Narrow Tail first. 

I could NOT find the narrow tail when I bought the GL210.  So I was riding the GL210 with the Red Kai Tail.  This summer I was riding the Maliko 200 with the Red Kai tail and loved it. 

The big blue tail is for learning when your pitch control isn't great. 

The GL210 is a faster wing but wings should also work with your local waves.  This summer the M200 was good in the 6 to 8 second East Coast New England slop.  In California when the period of the wave starts to get 13 and 15 second periods you need the faster wings and tail to keep up.  No one is talking about this but we have faster waves in California and Hawaii, or have longer period waves more often.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 06:50:39 AM by Beasho »

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2019, 07:59:32 PM »
Fatfish: Thanks for the video. Looks easy. Awesome that he made it. Thanks for sharing it here.

Johndrums: I appreciate the info and it sounds like I just need to move on to a complete GL setup, front and back. I assume the new mast and what not are lighter and better but am unsure. John, how much do you weigh? I am 1670LBS and although the M200/Blue legacy tail is fun on smaller waves, I find it cumbersome, slow and corky compared to the IWA170/Blue legacy tail, especially when it gets around 4-8 foot .

Beasho, I see 6-8 second period most of the time where I foil. There is no lineup just a bunch of piles that I paddle in front of. Once I am on the wing I am trying to hop to the next pile. More of a pump track(BMX) or skatepark pump feel. Flowy, fast, and you will have short rides if you are not aggressive in picking the next line.

Now I am trying to decide if I need the entire new setup, including the mast. I am leaning towards the GL180 since I prefer the IWA 170, but I dont see the specs anywhere with regards to surface area etc.. From the way folks are typing about the GL210, It may be closer to the IWA 170.

Thanks for all the advice foilbois.
-red

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2019, 12:03:07 AM »
Red, I'm 210lbs so we aren't in the same ballpark foilwise.  I haven't ridden the GL180, but the GL210 has roughly similar *initial* lift to the IWA170 and is about the same in maneuverability.  It is so much faster and lower drag that it glides through a lot more than the IWA does.  Once you get it foiling, you can ride a super soft wave as long as you keep your speed up.  I bet you could have a great time on a GL180, but for hopping from one swell to the next you'll probably prefer the 210.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM