Author Topic: GoFoil 1.5 Release  (Read 291778 times)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GoFoil 1.5 Release
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »
figuring out these wings will be interesting  :)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2019, 03:47:51 PM »
The new tail pedestal and tail wing makes the Maliko (and cut maliko) look like an absolute pig.  I never thought twice about the Maliko tail, but now it just seems so incredibly draggy, thick, and big.   The way the pedestal is faired to a point on the back must be a good thing too.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »
I can see two new tail and whats the difference?

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2019, 11:46:43 PM »
Finally got out on a day with some swell at a spot I know well.  Rode 50 waves in 2.5hrs session and by the end I was pretty tired.  I don't think I'm going to use any of my old foils any more - the GL210 is just so smooth, fast, and maneuverable.   I wasn't really working on pumping today since the waves were working so well I needed the breather while casually paddling back out to the peak. 

Initial lift is pretty similar to the IWA.  Takes a little work to get it out of the water.
I'm pretty sore tonight because falling at top speed has so much more impact.  Reminds me of falling on a slalom waterski more than falling off a surfboard.
The wing is so fast that I was constantly ahead of the pocket of the wave - I can stall my IWA to slow it down and stay in the wave, but not the GL210.  It is also enough faster that I was having trouble carving it back the way I came to get back in the critical section.  Gotta work on turning harder.

All in all, a grin inducing session.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2019, 12:25:13 AM »
Yep pretty much like that... Feel like you're 16 again?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2019, 07:08:34 AM »
I've tried the GL240 on several wing foiling sessions. I think it will be great when I learn to manage the speed, but at my current skill level, I felt like I was on a motorcycle with the throttle stuck. It just kept going faster.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2019, 12:12:05 PM »
Hey jondrums, what part of the world are you foiling at? 

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2019, 05:05:25 PM »
Finally got out on a day with some swell at a spot I know well.  Rode 50 waves in 2.5hrs session and by the end I was pretty tired.  I don't think I'm going to use any of my old foils any more - the GL210 is just so smooth, fast, and maneuverable.   I wasn't really working on pumping today since the waves were working so well I needed the breather while casually paddling back out to the peak. 

Initial lift is pretty similar to the IWA.  Takes a little work to get it out of the water.
I'm pretty sore tonight because falling at top speed has so much more impact.  Reminds me of falling on a slalom waterski more than falling off a surfboard.
The wing is so fast that I was constantly ahead of the pocket of the wave - I can stall my IWA to slow it down and stay in the wave, but not the GL210.  It is also enough faster that I was having trouble carving it back the way I came to get back in the critical section.  Gotta work on turning harder.

All in all, a grin inducing session.

Jon, Thanks for sharing. Is the GL210 the same or close to the IWA(170) with regards to suggested rider weight, skill, and surface area?

Thanks
-red

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2019, 10:07:28 PM »

Thank you for keeping the reviews coming!  Sounds spectacular--interesting thought that the speed has you outrunning the pocket of the wave... wonder if the 180 would be easier cutback or if it is just practice.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 10:56:19 PM by 805StandUp »

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2019, 10:16:38 AM »
I worked a bunch on cutting back hard back into the pocket today and this foil TURNS!  Disregard my last post about outrunning the pocket, I'm learning fast.  But the most fun is taking off behind the peak and outracing a fast steep wave.

Had a couple more very short 2for1s this morning.  Short period beach break is super fun because the next peak isn't far behind.

GL210 is the right size for you if the IWA fits you well.

I'm selling all my old foil gear.

PS. San Fran Bay area.  OBSF this morning

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2019, 01:11:44 PM »
Hey Jon
What size mast are you running?  Did you buy the combo package with mast or did you retrofit the GL onto your old mast?  thanks in advance for the info.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
Using the tall mast.  I already had the mast and the new wing and tail fit fine.

I'm serious about ditching my old gear. Dreaming about the GL240 now.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 01:31:23 PM by jondrums »

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2019, 01:52:29 PM »
I worked a bunch on cutting back hard back into the pocket today and this foil TURNS!  Disregard my last post about outrunning the pocket, I'm learning fast.  But the most fun is taking off behind the peak and outracing a fast steep wave.

Had a couple more very short 2for1s this morning.  Short period beach break is super fun because the next peak isn't far behind.

GL210 is the right size for you if the IWA fits you well.

I'm selling all my old foil gear.

PS. San Fran Bay area.  OBSF this morning

Wow, just wow!  I ran into Steamroller today in the surf (on a slick KT SUP Foilboard) and he agrees 210 over 180 is where it is at.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2019, 03:47:05 PM »
what tail is everyone using with the GL. Also, for IWA user has anyone tried using with the new release tail either wide or narrow?

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2019, 04:35:12 PM »
Using the tall mast.  I already had the mast and the new wing and tail fit fine.

I'm serious about ditching my old gear. Dreaming about the GL240 now.

Jon, Sorry its not clear to me. Are you using an original GoFoil mast with the new wings? Would be great if they were interchangeable.
Thanks
-red

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal