Author Topic: GoFoil 1.5 Release  (Read 291759 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: GoFoil 1.5 Release
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2019, 03:46:40 PM »
oops typo....imean CAN'T live without....

OK - Steamroller and JonDrums you had better not be a bunch of online AI selling Bots.   ::)

I just ordered my wing.  They were out of tails so I'll have to pick those up later. 

I hesitated based upon that GoFoil 4.0 premonition.  But life is short and I'm looking forward to being 16 again.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2019, 04:26:46 PM »
nice Beasho and is this your goto wing in the future and how much do you weight, let us know how you go?

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2019, 05:08:10 PM »
any thoughts on how the lift fits in between IWA and M200?

I can't speak to how it works with a lighter person than I.  I'd say the initial lift is most similar to IWA.  However, once you get moving it has at least as much lift as the M200 to carry you through soft sections of the wave. 

Its all about lift-to-drag ratio, and the GL is clearly much higher lift to drag ratio.  So it can peak out at faster speeds, and when it does, it has every bit as much lift (or more) as the M200 does at its correspondingly lower speed.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2019, 05:45:42 PM »
$$$is totally irrelevant fo me....its worth it ...every penny....life is short...buy the dam toy...haha..besides...that stinkin GL210 is sooooooooo GOOD...it makes you feel like youre 16 all over again...AGAIN!...im nearly 50 ...to feel like youre 16 and have that much FUN again...sheeeeoot...you know how you sometimes daydream and think..."i wish i could go back and be a kid again knowing what i know now"...well...this is IT!...

wanna know what will really BLOW YOUR MIND!...put that sumbeach on your tiny prone board...i put it on my 5'2"  and did a 6 for 1 yesterday in non-breaking swells...1 footers NOT winded...just barely breathing heavy...barely...i couldn't believe it...i quit pumping back outonly because i got bored...for a 240# fatass that is unheard of even on a SUP with a paddle...and normally after a 4 for 1 my lungs are ready to  go POP!..and passs out...with the GL210 you can fly for....ev...errrrrre...kikass ;)

the BEST part is youre now competitive with all the skinny guys on youtube..
and running circles around all the other foilers is FUN!...yeah ya shoulda got a GoFoil!

This is what I am looking forward to. 

I weigh 185.  I can do 2 for 1 on the Maliko 200 with the right conditions.  Typically if it is cleaner.  I can last ~ 20 seconds pumping.  I have vetted this in many environs.   The math works out to be 20 seconds @ 10 mph, or 15 feet per second meaning a full 100 yards. 

This is equivalent to running a 100 yard dash in 20 seconds CARRYING 25 lbs of FOIL BOARD.  It is tiring for anyone over the age of 23.  The hope is that this wing will get closer to the efficiency of riding a bike (extreme aspiration) than running with a dumbell. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:51:15 PM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2019, 07:22:16 PM »
I'm using the 240 with the new tail for wing foiling. I only use it when it's nuking. My pumping skills are minimal and this thing takes some serious speed to lift my ass. I'm looking forward to using it for surf. Once I'm up though it gathers speed very quickly, and then it's solid. I have to feather the hell out of the wing even going upwind. And it goes upwind like crazy. For those familiar with the Gorge, I went from Luhr Jensen to above the hatchery in one reach.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2019, 07:58:49 PM »
this is gonna be hard for 80kg as I want the M280 for dw and pump and then there's GL210 or GL240 but I just to buy one wing of those 3  ::) ???

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2019, 12:31:28 AM »
no AI bot...just want you guys to feel that same ...oh WOW this thing is GREAT!...stoke that i had too...its really a lot of fun stomping the front foot and feeling the board shoot FORWARD instead of just hover there...wheeeeeeeeeee!

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2019, 12:40:15 AM »
ok Geez i totally forgot the main secret to pumping to infinity with these things....

pump cadence....once you jump out over the back of the wave its best to use the ...pump pump paddle cadence...watch derek hamasaki...i learned it from him...pump pump paddle....
pump pump paddle...and you can keep it going all day...

on the Maliko200 you gotta dig  dig dig with every pump to stay airborne  and you start relying on the paddle to keep you flying...NO!...its doable but i get winded real fast...all the flight has to come from your legs...so of you dig with the paddle every 3rd pump just for timing its WAY better...

pump  pump  paddle

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2019, 02:09:56 AM »
ok Geez i totally forgot the main secret to pumping to infinity with these things....

pump cadence....once you jump out over the back of the wave its best to use the ...pump pump paddle cadence...watch derek hamasaki...i learned it from him...pump pump paddle....
pump pump paddle...and you can keep it going all day...

on the Maliko200 you gotta dig  dig dig with every pump to stay airborne  and you start relying on the paddle to keep you flying...NO!...its doable but i get winded real fast...all the flight has to come from your legs...so of you dig with the paddle every 3rd pump just for timing its WAY better...

pump  pump  paddle

What is the lenghth of your paddle, mine is minus 3 inch , perhaps a bit to short for this pump, pump , paddle cadence?

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2019, 04:11:50 AM »
Nice Beasho!  Congrats on the new purchase!  I hope to be able to compare wings on my next visit to RI.  Happy Foiling!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »
I can last ~ 20 seconds pumping.  I have vetted this in many environs.   The math works out to be 20 seconds @ 10 mph, or 15 feet per second meaning a full 100 yards. 

This is equivalent to running a 100 yard dash in 20 seconds CARRYING 25 lbs of FOIL BOARD.  It is tiring for anyone over the age of 23.  The hope is that this wing will get closer to the efficiency of riding a bike (extreme aspiration) than running with a dumbell.
[/quote]

Case in point:  Here is an example of flat water pumping from 0:04 Secs -> 0:25 Secs = 21 Seconds total

This was on as tiny a board as you can get 3' 3" pumping in flat water.  I still only made it 20 seconds on the M200 and Blue Tail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUxgGLhOL5s

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2019, 09:26:05 AM »
Here is another use case for the GL210:  Big Waves!

When attempting to catch waves around the periphery of Mavericks on bigger days the waves can move fast enough that I lose them.  See the end of this ride.  There is still a swell but it gets away from me because the wave got too soft and was travelling too fast for me to continue riding.  I was on the IWA with Kai tail.  Note this was before I was using an elongated front strap which allowed me to move my front foot back and prevent the porpoising shown in the video. 

The hope is that the wing is efficient enough to glide/pump through softer sections and keep up with the bigger faster waves.  This will be a game changer if it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDIWvU1otec
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:28:49 AM by Beasho »

gulljammer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2019, 10:44:54 AM »
For those that have ridden the new GL wings. Is there any change of foot position from the IWA/Maliko? I presently use GF Iwa or Maliko depending on wave size with the Kai tail using the tuttle mount mast on a 6'3" SUP. Do I need to order a plate mount mast to avoid changing my foot position?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2019, 12:20:34 PM »
the waves can move fast enough that I lose them.  See the end of this ride.  There is still a swell but it gets away from me because the wave got too soft and was travelling too fast for me to continue riding. 

The hope is that the wing is efficient enough to glide/pump through softer sections and keep up with the bigger faster waves.  This will be a game changer if it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDIWvU1otec

Listen to this podcast. Zane talks about that somewhere in there. How for the channel foil races you either need a fat slow wing to catch the wind swell and get up early, but it's to slow to stay with the groundswell. Or you need a thin fast wing that is very hard to get up on foil, but fly's with the groundswell once you are up.

https://soundcloud.com/progressionproject/foiling-series-ep-8-2x-ultimate-waterman-zane-schweitzer

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2019, 02:23:22 PM »
i haven't listened to the podcast but...yeah the waves outrunning yous will not be a problem anymor Beasho...get ready to have your game changed...but you will eventually need to the new tail for the BIG waves...anything more than 2 ft overhead is too much lift with the cut Maliko200/IWA tail...the new flat tail doesnt have quite so much lift and is waaaaaay faster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal