Author Topic: GoFoil 1.5 Release  (Read 291777 times)

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: GoFoil 1.5 Release
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2019, 12:02:46 AM »
tails are different too...Gofoil Maliko200  tail...

Gofoil Gl210  tail...

you can also alter the pitch of the GL210 tail by adding or subtracting washers...

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2019, 01:09:16 AM »
Hi steamroller. Could you post some pics of the underside of the GL wing? Would love to get an idea of the aero profile GoFoil are using. Thanks :)

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2019, 03:38:44 AM »
And how big is he new tail compared to the M200 tail?
Pictures please...

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2019, 08:05:48 AM »
Thanks for all of your great info there steamroller!! Now I guess an even more important question give the big differences between the two...how does the GL210 compare performance wise (lift, stability, turning, pumping...whatever else you like more or less about one vs the other) to the M200 and the Iwa if you've been able to compare all three?

Really appreciate you taking the time to help us all out here with your pictures, and thoughts in the new wings. Found out they ain't cheap, and suddenly my budget said, "Maybe one GL setup" instead of the "I'll just buy one of each" that I had thought I'd do previously. So narrowing things down to a better choice is way better than just the WAG is was thinking I'd have to give it, and hope for the best.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »
... Found out they ain't cheap, and suddenly my budget said, "Maybe one GL setup" instead of the "I'll just buy one of each" that I had thought I'd do previously...

Can you share how much the new wings are, Sano?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2019, 04:43:48 PM »
I borrowed a GL240 from Big Winds today. Trying to use it with my Duotone wing. I used it in my second session, after lunch. I was in the water this morning from 9 to 1:00 so I really had no business doing a second session, but I got my hands on the GL after lunch so I gave it a go. I think it would have been awesome with the 5M I borrowed for the first two hours of my session this morning, but I didn't have it. In the afternoon the wind was a little stronger, but my 4M wasn't enough given my current skill level to get up on the foil and stay there. I did a couple of little pop-up and stall thingies, but didn't have enough board speed to trim and go.

One thing for sure, the GL doesn't have anywhere near the drag of the M280. I was able to get going quite fast, just not quite enough. If I got the 280 going that fast I'd be up, so I'd say the lift is a bit less too. It felt rock-solid on the pop-ups. I mushed back into the water without any tipping and was able to sail out of it. That doesn't happen with the M280.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2019, 11:31:42 PM »
... Found out they ain't cheap, and suddenly my budget said, "Maybe one GL setup" instead of the "I'll just buy one of each" that I had thought I'd do previously...

Can you share how much the new wings are, Sano?
I saw a price sheet that had the GL180 front wing w/cover listed at $750, the GL210 front wing w/cover for $800, and the 18N or 18W tail wing w/cover at $165 a piece. So at a minimum of $915, it's gonna be just one set for me, and why I want to make sure I get it right the first time.

Not really sure what I was expecting to pay for a set of wings, so not saying that's unreasonable, but with new set(s) of wings, a Wing Surfer, and an ebike all in the not too distant future "fun" budget...figured I better just go with one set, or even might just use the M200 I already have to start on the Wing with, and maybe leave the GLs out of the equation until later on down the road.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2019, 11:47:59 PM »
So my next sesh will be Iwa front, and Kai stab...maybe the best of both worlds?  8)
Not so sure.  I cut my tail to 420mm which is about halfway between the stock Maliko tail and the Kai tail - and it worked perfectly.  I made a thread about it showing how to do it.  I personally wouldn't go any smaller than 420mm, in fact I'm thinking of cutting down my spare Maliko tail to 440mm just to see if that's the sweet spot.

That said, Beasho is riding IWA + KAI tail.

Generally, speed capability went way up and maneuverability went way up.  Game changer for both the IWA and the M200.  I can tell that things gets a little squirrelly in rotation - almost like you can skid out the back end a little.  That's why I think it might be on the small end of what works best.
Yep, didn't like the Kai tail w/ the Iwa front at all. No drive out of the turn, and I personally didn't find that it pumped any better than either the Kai/Kai, or Iwa/Maliko combos as they were originally designed and intended.

Just for the hell of it, I went with the Kai front w/ the Maliko stab today, and that was the worse of all of the combos I tried. Just way too squirrelly w/ the front of the board headed every which direction, and I spent more time trying to keep it straight, that trying to setup any kind of a turn never even crossed my mind.

It should be noted, that all of this is on the Angledfoil that turns better than any of the straight mast setup I've tried. So there is a distinct possibility of what I'm feeling/experiencing with these wing/stab combos is going to be completely different than those using them on a straight mast.

I say that, because there are a couple guys I foil with that use and love the Iwa/Kai combo on their straight masts...so there might be something to it that I'm not feeling just because of our feet placement to the differences in mast attachment location to the board.

All-in-all, I found that I really like the Kai/Kai setup, and the only draw back is that I need at least waist high stuff to be able to get them to lift me consistently, but once in the air, the smaller wings are really responsive, and I can really push them w/o worrying as much about flying them out of the water. Since where I foil is a lot of times not waist high, it seems that the Iwa/Maliko is still my "go to" setup the majority of the time.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 11:54:36 PM by SanoSlatchSup »

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 11:49:10 PM »
yaaaay i got more pics....GL210 tail on the left and Maliko200 tail on the right....maliko tail i cut to 8.25in each side....works waaaay better

GL210 wing head on view....

GL210 wing trailing edge view...

GL210 wing bottom view...

GL210 wing on the bottom....Maliko200 wing on the top...head on view

the GL210 doesnt have quite as much lift as the Maliko200... BUT...it still has more than adequate lift tofly my 25lbs board and 24lbs fatass easily  in 1foolers....AND....most importantly it projects FOREWORD unbelievably well..
j
.the Maliko200 always wants to jump up Up UP  and out of the water so you are always trying to stomp down on the front foot to keep it from breaching...that's good for learning because youre always riding small waves building muscle memory to weight the front foot

when you stomp the front foot on the GL210...that sucker shoots foreward HARD abd FAST...feels like hitting the turbo and the thing just takes off down the line...when you surf the GL210 after bieng on the Maliko200 for a long time in waist high waves you stop thinking ...."i hope this thing doesn't buck me off before i get to that section 100 yrds down the line"....to...."look at that section 100yrds down the line ...i can MAKE IT...downshift...HIT DA GAS!!!!...WOOOOHOOOOO!"

im a big guy was on a SUP 5'4" riding the GL210 in 3 feet overhead waves on oahu during the last big swell couple weeks ago...the wing worked awesome......my advice is for a 200+guys get the GL210 if you need more lift use your Maliko200 tail ....less lift use the GL tail...
i have not tried the GL180 yet...as for as i know for now the GL210 is all ill ever need....

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2019, 12:00:32 AM »
you got a price list!!!???...i didnt get a price list!!!....sheeeoot....yup thats a bit pricey...but totally worrh it...im getting um BOTH....cant afford it but im gettin um anyway...too late im already too spoiled to surf without  them....

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2019, 12:02:42 AM »
Wow, great write-up steamroller, and the GL210 sounds like the hot setup!!

This...
Maliko200 always wants to jump up Up UP  and out of the water so you are always trying to stomp down on the front foot to keep it from breaching
...is exactly why it very rarely finds its way onto my fuselage, unless it's just ankle/shin high out there, and it's the only way I'll be able to still go and get my gills wet. ;D

This has me sold...
when you stomp the front foot on the GL210...that sucker shoots foreward HARD abd FAST...feels like hitting the turbo and the thing just takes off down the line
...forward and fast, YES!....up and slow, NO!   ;) :)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2019, 12:05:49 AM »
you got a price list!!!???...i didnt get a price list!!!....sheeeoot....yup thats a bit pricey...but totally worrh it...im getting um BOTH....cant afford it but im gettin um anyway...too late im already too spoiled to surf without  them....
Local dealer showed it to me...I didn't actually get one from Go Foil, if that makes you feel any better. Lol... :D

But dang, you're making it sound like a "must have" now, so looks like I'm gonna have to go break another piggy bank, and get me at least the GL210 and stab. 8)

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2019, 12:14:23 AM »
can you guys see the latest pics?...hope so....they wont work for me....

anyway yeah flying the GL210 is a lot of fun to just feel it PROJECT )------------>foreward when you push down on the front foot...and the tail is adjustable too ...add a washer under the trailing edge to increase lift ...or remove a washer to reduce lift...ive never needed to put more than the 2 washers it comes with though

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2019, 12:29:22 AM »
Cant see any pics in the post you're asking about.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2019, 01:32:20 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal