Author Topic: GoFoil 1.5 Release  (Read 291616 times)

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: GoFoil 1.5 Release
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 07:15:10 AM »
mallet is still required but that is a GOOD thing...get that sucker on there SOLID!...you may need to do just a little sanding if the fit is too tight...most likely if anything just a bit of aluminum tape from home depot on the sides for a shim if the fit is too loose...

the new tails are for surf too...they are waaaaaaay faster than the stock tail...the pitch of the horizontal stabilizer can be changed by adding or removing a washer...one more or less washer will make a ton of difference :)

Thanks, Clint!  I will look forward to seeing your GL and new tail next time I see you in Ventura.  Have you tried it with the M200 or only the GL?

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 08:10:17 AM »
haven't even looked at the M200 since i got the GL210....in fact after i rode the GL210 on maui just one time i lost all drive to surf with anything  else...totally spoiled....came back from maui rode the Maliko200 and said...."man this thing is SLOW"....went skateboarding for 2 weeks till i go the the GL210...then its On like DONKEY KONG! ;D...the production wings are supposed to be even better...faster...more turney...cant wait...cant wait....cant wait

do need to point out though that the GL210 is an advanced wing not for beginners learning to foil....way too fast....way too responsive....the Maliko200 is the best learning wing out there i think... so it does have a place

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »
haven't even looked at the M200 since i got the GL210....in fact after i rode the GL210 on maui just one time i lost all drive to surf with anything  else...totally spoiled....came back from maui rode the Maliko200 and said...."man this thing is SLOW"....went skateboarding for 2 weeks till i go the the GL210...then its On like DONKEY KONG! ;D...the production wings are supposed to be even better...faster...more turney...cant wait...cant wait....cant wait

do need to point out though that the GL210 is an advanced wing not for beginners learning to foil....way too fast....way too responsive....the Maliko200 is the best learning wing out there i think... so it does have a place

:o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sounds amazing!  I am sticking with my IWA/M200 for now.  Ever since I downsized from my 7'4 surf-shape to 6'0 foil-specific shape, low energy lift is no longer a challenge.  IWA worked perfectly in the south swell yesterday.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 10:49:43 AM »
I'm curious about the "sizing" if you will with these new 180, 210, 240 wings in comparison to the original 170 (Iwa), M200, M280 ones.

In the video posted here, the GLs look to be about the same length (if not shorter) than the older versions, and obviously much narrower and flatter compared to the others, with the thickness difficult to tell but not looking to much different...at least from the angles the video allows to see them in.

So how is the 210 for instance, a "210", when it appears to be the same length as the M200 (36" when I measure mine), but much narrower and the same thickness? Where is this extra surface area on the 210 coming from, if it is indeed has the same (or even less) length as the M200 but narrower and the same thickness?

Also, is anyone able to compare the lift, and also maybe the "surfability" of these new wings compared to the old ones? I now Derek is surfing/turning the crap out of them, but I'm thinking that's also like me comparing the usability of a particular surfboard watching how Kelly Slater might ride it, and that that's somehow going to give me an idea if I'll be able to make the board do the same thing.

I heard through the grapevine that the new M210 is more line with the Iwa as far as actual lift goes, and was wondering if that holds true even though the "210" number would indicate that it would be more like the M200...but that's not what I'm hearing.

Any comparison thoughts and/or actual measurements anyone might be able to share by those who already have one would be greatly appreciated. My "go to" wing right now is the Iwa, and I was about to pull the trigger on the GL 180, but now holding off a bit until I get better idea of how the GLs actually compare to the older models in reality instead of just a number.

Thanks in advance.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »
ill get  some pics later today....BUT...

if your goto wing is the IWA....have you cut the tail yet?...i was sceptical at first then after i cut it....MAN this thing can MOOOOOOOVE!...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 02:46:23 PM »

So how is the 210 for instance, a "210", when it appears to be the same length as the M200 (36" when I measure mine), but much narrower and the same thickness? Where is this extra surface area on the 210 coming from........

GoFoil numbers applied to wings are NOT areas. They are numbers Alex applied back in the beginning, that represent rider weights for each size. My guess...it reduced the speed at which competitors could rip him off, while still providing some guidance. Kinda clever actually.

This according a post on the Aussie forum. The poster said he learned this from a guy who is a partner in GoFoil.

It’s the best explanation I’ve heard....so I’m a believer

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 03:12:19 PM »
I'm curious about the "sizing" if you will with these new 180, 210, 240 wings in comparison to the original 170 (Iwa), M200, M280 ones.

In the video posted here, the GLs look to be about the same length (if not shorter) than the older versions, and obviously much narrower and flatter compared to the others, with the thickness difficult to tell but not looking to much different...at least from the angles the video allows to see them in.

So how is the 210 for instance, a "210", when it appears to be the same length as the M200 (36" when I measure mine), but much narrower and the same thickness? Where is this extra surface area on the 210 coming from, if it is indeed has the same (or even less) length as the M200 but narrower and the same thickness?

Also, is anyone able to compare the lift, and also maybe the "surfability" of these new wings compared to the old ones? I now Derek is surfing/turning the crap out of them, but I'm thinking that's also like me comparing the usability of a particular surfboard watching how Kelly Slater might ride it, and that that's somehow going to give me an idea if I'll be able to make the board do the same thing.

I heard through the grapevine that the new M210 is more line with the Iwa as far as actual lift goes, and was wondering if that holds true even though the "210" number would indicate that it would be more like the M200...but that's not what I'm hearing.

Any comparison thoughts and/or actual measurements anyone might be able to share by those who already have one would be greatly appreciated. My "go to" wing right now is the Iwa, and I was about to pull the trigger on the GL 180, but now holding off a bit until I get better idea of how the GLs actually compare to the older models in reality instead of just a number.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same situation as you SanoSlatchSup, I have the IWA & M200 with Maliko & Kai tails & I don't know what size GL front wing to get next to complement my current collection to surf and one day to DW.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 05:01:21 PM »

GoFoil numbers applied to wings are NOT areas. They are numbers Alex applied back in the beginning, that represent rider weights for each size. My guess...it reduced the speed at which competitors could rip him off, while still providing some guidance. Kinda clever actually.

This according a post on the Aussie forum. The poster said he learned this from a guy who is a partner in GoFoil.

I read that post on Seabreeze but it has since been deleted!  It was actually a bit defensive/inflammatory in reaction to someone posting that GoFoil copied the GL from Signature so I understand why but it was removed but it was also very enlightening in discussing the factory and how they also manufacture a lot of other carbon sports products which was great.  The post also said that Go Foil had the first high-aspect wing in the M160 but no one could ride it, which left a lot of us that owned the M160 scratching our heads! 

That said, I do believe the number does roughly equate to rider weight though I suspect we would need to adjust based on conditions thus a lot of us using the IWA170 and M200 depending on swell size.  For me when I am ready I am personally going to consider the 180 for surf and think it would be right b/c it is between the two wings we currently own but mileage may vary for downwind conditions.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 05:02:33 PM »
<Somehow ended up with a duplicate post and can't delete it so just removed the text.>
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 05:08:21 PM by 805StandUp »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 06:15:17 PM »
ill get  some pics later today....BUT...

if your goto wing is the IWA....have you cut the tail yet?...i was sceptical at first then after i cut it....MAN this thing can MOOOOOOOVE!...
Not yet, I went to a different setup today just for the hell of it...Kai front and back, and it flew way better than I thought it would in the sized surf we had today (stuff that I'd normally ride the Iwa for sure). So my next sesh will be Iwa front, and Kai stab...maybe the best of both worlds?  8)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 06:15:49 PM »

So how is the 210 for instance, a "210", when it appears to be the same length as the M200 (36" when I measure mine), but much narrower and the same thickness? Where is this extra surface area on the 210 coming from........

Yeah, I don't know...because today I rode the Kai 120 for the first time in 2-3' surf, and had a blast with it...and I'm 70 lbs. heavier than that "120" "rider weight"....so I'm a doubter of that. Just saying...

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »
So my next sesh will be Iwa front, and Kai stab...maybe the best of both worlds?  8)

Not so sure.  I cut my tail to 420mm which is about halfway between the stock Maliko tail and the Kai tail - and it worked perfectly.  I made a thread about it showing how to do it.  I personally wouldn't go any smaller than 420mm, in fact I'm thinking of cutting down my spare Maliko tail to 440mm just to see if that's the sweet spot.

That said, Beasho is riding IWA + KAI tail.

Generally, speed capability went way up and maneuverability went way up.  Game changer for both the IWA and the M200.  I can tell that things gets a little squirrelly in rotation - almost like you can skid out the back end a little.  That's why I think it might be on the small end of what works best.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 11:48:17 PM »
here ya go...Gofoil GL210 on the left....Gofoil Maliko200  on the right...tip.to tip the GL210 is about a  inch wider each end

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 11:53:26 PM »
front view ...head on...you can really see the difference...Gofoil Maliko200 on top....Gofoil  GL210 on bottom....way thinner and flatter..

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 11:54:55 PM »
rear view

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM