Author Topic: SUP Booby Trap on YouTube  (Read 5998 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
SUP Booby Trap on YouTube
« on: June 14, 2019, 08:40:14 PM »
Check out the SUP at 5:10 in. Anyone know this guy? If so, maybe tell him how waves work?

Look, I’ve been there, but no wonder people get bummed when we start sweepin’   ;D

https://youtu.be/cdGmN2N4Nw8

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Booby Trap on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
The guy on the skim board was really good. To be young (and limber) again.  ;)

Thanks for sharing the video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 07:22:52 AM »
I quote my friend Ken Himmel:

"Just because I am a werewolf doesn't mean I like the other werewolves"

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 01:14:28 PM »
Oh man, 5:10 makes me ashamed.  That guy is violating one of the cardinal rules:  "If you are just learning to SUP surf, stay away from the lineup"
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 07:41:25 PM »
We seem to be having a third wave of the truly clueless, and this one seems to be spectacularly so. First there was the wave I joined. I was a total Bozo but I don't remember ever actually running into anyone, but I ruined a few waves for people who should have dotted my eye for that, but they chose not to.

Then there were the sad goofs who came after me. They mostly stayed out of the lineup--someone must have said something somewhere--and just doinked around in full welsh tourist getup on boards you could land a helicopter on, stroking the water like they were petting it, with their paddle turned backwards.

Now there's these. The completely incompetent. They look like they never stood on a board before they headed for the most aggressive and crowded lineup they can find. They paddle gently and inexorably into the middle of the prime take off spot and stand there looking around like there was some kind of flashmob activity that interested them. They have the survival instinct of lemmings.

There were two guys with huge SUPS that showed up at Ka'a several times on good sized days. It's not the best place to surf, especially with 40 foilers across the skill spectrum. They paddled slowly into the impact zone on top of the reef and wobbled around like baby ducks. Some of the days were overhead, and the reef almost sucks dry. I figured natural selection and a little time in the ER would take care of things, but nope. As resilient as a weeble-wobble.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 04:33:18 PM »
Unfortunately, the cluelessness is not uncommon. But, there are clueless prone surfers too, plenty. And I say that as a guy that mostly prones. Kookdom does not belong exclusively to the sweepers!  ;D ;D

I really like the video and there is some great riding in those small kine waves. The guys that made it have some good senses of humor. Pretty amazing stuff on the skim board.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 05:05:12 PM »
Cove, the Beefs TV guys are hilarious and really epitomize the fun of surfing to me. Great surfers, doing fun stuff with no ego about it. That kid is a skimboarder who always blows my mind.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 08:05:39 AM »
Cove, the Beefs TV guys are hilarious and really epitomize the fun of surfing to me. Great surfers, doing fun stuff with no ego about it. That kid is a skimboarder who always blows my mind.

Except the way the guy says "Raw Beefs" in their intro annoys the life out of me.  /crabby old man rant
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 06:52:29 PM »
We’d expect no less! ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:57:22 PM by surfcowboy »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 04:27:13 AM »
If the way they say "Raw Beefs" bothers you, you must hate Monty Python.   ;)  ;D
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 06:51:46 AM »
Pretty amazing stuff on the skim board.

The skim guys are incredible.  They are taking big waves on the head in 6 inches of water.  How they regularly survive that is a mystery.

As for the SUP guy in the original vid, what is to get worked up about?  This happens all the time at tiny beginner waves from beginners on anything.  So what?  You explain it to them nicely once.  He is just getting started.  Be nice to the guy, set him in the right direction (literally) and he will be no problem. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o9x57FYTx4&t=35s

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 08:41:05 AM »

The skim guys are incredible.  They are taking big waves on the head in 6 inches of water.  How they regularly survive that is a mystery.
He's pretty humble, saying he was lucky on which waves he chose when he in reality he was up in the air doing spins while the wave was crushing his competitors then dropping down behind it and coming in like it was nothing. He did take a few on the head also.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 08:42:43 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 05:04:53 PM »
"If you are just learning to SUP surf, stay away from the lineup"

I have an even simpler rule. I call it "stay away from the lineup, period." It's one of the things about SUP that really appealed to me. Not having to do battle with 10 of the 30 other people to get a wave. Then not having to dodge through the remaining 20 sitting on the inside.

I now find myself looking at those lineups with a kind of pitty. Just wait until after the Olympics.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 06:12:05 PM »
The video doesn't really portray just how gnarly that shore break is.

With the steep beach and thick doubled up slamming waves right on the sand, it really is a death zone for the unwary.

You can feel the beach shake and vibrate on big sets. I almost bought property father up the point a few years back, but almost drowned the first day I tried to cool off in the water.

Lucky for me that really changed my mind and saved me a lot of money.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 06:13:34 PM »

With the steep beach and thick doubled up slamming waves right on the sand, it really is a death zone for the unwary.

You can feel the beach shake and vibrate on big sets. I almost bought property father up the point a few years back, but almost drowned the first day I tried to cool off in the water.

As for the SUP guy in the original vid, what is to get worked up about?  This happens all the time at tiny beginner waves from beginners on anything.  So what?  You explain it to them nicely once.  He is just getting started.  Be nice to the guy, set him in the right direction (literally) and he will be no problem. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o9x57FYTx4&t=35s

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 06:16:01 PM by southwesterly »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal