Author Topic: Sucko Downwinder  (Read 10397 times)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sucko Downwinder
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »
I can't speak to Gorge activities, but as another windsurfer since the 80s who also downwinds, here would be my personal answer from Maui.
Windsurfing wins hands down if there is any surf at all, even just summer windswell breaking.
If there is no surf at all, then my free time windsurfing and downwinding starts to be about 50/50. The key to keeping windsurfing interesting is constantly working on new maneuvers. Many of the people who quit just sailed back and forth if there wasn't any surf, with a decent jibe being as far as they evolved. We all need a challenge, and downwinding keeps providing that for us. In windsurfing, it is up to us to keep creating the challenges through working on new maneuvers.
Speaking of replacing; at the moment foiling interest seems to be taking over from traditional downwind boards on Maui. Not yet for me, since I am still finding plenty of fun and challenge on my F16.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 07:04:00 PM »
i pack two mana 84's when i surf---they both always remain solid with hot glue, but inevitably end up with audible water inside--reglued mine yesterday--i guess the glue degrades over time and leaks--surprises me, given the taut 3m electrical tape i wrap with

Leaks on my kenalus are almost always pinholes that form on the end of the handle - there is a seam there and imperfections cause leaks.  They will replace them under warranty or you can just pour some epoxy into the handle and let it settle where the hole is.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 08:29:35 PM »
The key to keeping windsurfing interesting is constantly working on new maneuvers. Many of the people who quit just sailed back and forth if there wasn't any surf, with a decent jibe being as far as they evolved. We all need a challenge, and downwinding keeps providing that for us. In windsurfing, it is up to us to keep creating the challenges through working on new maneuvers.

Actually, that plus the amount of gear involved, is what soured me on windsurfing. Working on new maneuvers started to feel like I was tying a pork chop around the kids neck so the dog would play with him. I don't need to work on new maneuvers when I'm racing a car. There's always another level. Same with downwinding. I've been doing it for ten years and I still don't know what I'm doing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal