Author Topic: Bummed with North Carolina Surfing  (Read 57351 times)

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bummed with North Carolina Surfing
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2019, 03:09:17 PM »
Just had three good mornings in Emerald Isle.  By good I mean not a blown out washing machine and some whopping knee high waves. It's been a mess for a few years for me in EI. So much more wind than I remember a few years ago.  I'm very excited about this wing thing so I can at least use the wind to my advantage and get on the water.  Been on the fence about learning to kite. Plus I think the old lady would loose her shit over buying a whole other set of gear.  At least with the wing stuff it looks sort of the same  ;)

joelcr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2019, 05:31:21 PM »
Umm.. Zooport. This is your official heads up for OBX surf. It’s looking like it’s going to start this weekend, and run straight through next week. All we need is steady west/southwest winds. Should start off bombing on Saturday/Sunday, then fun size after that.

Post a report if you score, should be fun.

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2019, 09:39:51 AM »
We have had some decent NC surf here lately. Zooport, I hope you've had a chance to get some surfing in while it lasts! Did you ever make it to OBX?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2019, 08:01:17 PM »
Guys, don’t expect Zoo to actually surf when it’s good. It would ruin his record of only discussing bad news on here if he had a good time.

He might surf and get great waves, but we can’t expect him to change his communication style just to report something good that happened anymore than I could pass up this chance to be a smart ass about it. 😂😅

But seriously, what’s up Zoo, did you score?

joelcr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2019, 01:49:38 PM »
Here’s a pic from last Saturday. Obx.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2019, 02:09:11 PM »
'tis the season over east
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2019, 02:21:48 PM »
Guys, don’t expect Zoo to actually surf when it’s good. It would ruin his record of only discussing bad news on here if he had a good time.

He might surf and get great waves, but we can’t expect him to change his communication style just to report something good that happened anymore than I could pass up this chance to be a smart ass about it. 😂😅

But seriously, what’s up Zoo, did you score?

If I made it to OBX right when Humberto was pumping and scored heavily, overhead lined up and a little scary, getting barreled a couple of times on my Creek, why would I tell you and ruin my perfect record of only giving bad news?   ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:31:32 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2019, 09:27:08 AM »
Now I understand what everyone is saying, fall rocks in North Carolina.  It might be flat a here in other seasons, but when it's good, it is really good.  And every day I've seen seems to offer at least ridable waves in the fall, even when it's not pumping it's ridable, and I'm fine with that. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2019, 10:35:54 PM »
Zoo!! So glad you got waves man. A day like that makes up for a lot. Enjoy.

ilmsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2019, 10:26:17 AM »
I have been Sup Surfing on WB, Masonboro, and Figure 8 now for several years.  There is usually a knee high wave somewhere to surf but you have to manage the wind and the tide. If you can handle a southwest wind you get a lot more opportunities the if you need a direct offshore.  I have been able to surf even in the summer but there is a real art to choosing the right spot.  To give you and example I went out with my boat on a day that WBlive and Surfchex showed was flat on the cams.  I was with my nephew and his girlfriend.  I decided to bring my paddle board just in case.  When we got to figure 8 there was the most perfectly formed knee to thigh high a-frames rolling in on one sandbar.  Like I said it was flat everywhere else.  I was able to give them an unexpected surf lesson using my sup board like a longboard.  I also miss out on a lot of surf because I don't wake up early enough.  Most summer mornings have a window from 6-9 am when the wind is low and you can ride a small wave.  If you require waves to be at least chest high then yeah you can go months waiting for that.  But knee to thigh high waves roll in nearly everyday of the year you just have to find the right spot, tide and time to get on it.   I have found that the Windy app is best for that.  I should also add that I got to Palm beach county a lot in the winter which is their best season.  While they will have some epic days I find I get more surf in WB.  The big waves also seem to come with a strong cross/off shore wind which I find to be unmanageable on my low volume light weight SUP.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »
il, "Most summer mornings have a window from 6-9 am" seems to be the norm up north also.  I have a friend that is ~15min from splash at Assateague NS and she makes use of all those narrow windows - then later does 'downwinders' with the kite crew as things rough up.  I does not look so bad if you can stay close.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supthecreek

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2019, 03:55:01 PM »
Now I understand what everyone is saying, fall rocks in North Carolina.  It might be flat a here in other seasons, but when it's good, it is really good.  And every day I've seen seems to offer at least ridable waves in the fall, even when it's not pumping it's ridable, and I'm fine with that.

You'll have plenty more good days...
You just picked the year with the longest flat spell, on the entire East Coast that I have ever seen!

I had 2 cataract surgeries this summer..... stayed out for an full month for each surgery.
Perfect timing......  I didn't miss a single day of waves  ;D ;D ;D

The day after my final post op.... it was 5' and perfect!  it pays to be lucky!  :)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2019, 05:28:30 AM »
Yeah, and I'll add that on the East Coast it pays to have several watersports in your pocket. Basically, I could get out everyday between kiting, SUP surf, and foiling. The east coast (especially OBX and WB, Charleston (where I live) too) are so good for kiteboarding. Do yourself a favor, take some lessons at OBX in the Spring, learn the fundamentals and jump on a strapless surfboard, you will literally never have a day where you can't do something.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2019, 09:40:30 AM »

I remember this piece of marketing and thought at the time the waves looked perfect (for me). 

https://youtu.be/QxLMQ39r76E

"Shot on location on The Crystal Coast" ... but then learned that's 85 miles worth of branding...  but still  :D
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2019, 02:09:49 PM »
+1 on the kitesurfing recommendation.  I call kitesurfing the lazy man's surfing.  It complements SUP perfectly.  Lots of different boards to try: twintips, strapped surfboards, unstrapped surfboards, wakeskates, skimboards, alaias, SUPs, and hydrofoils.  My favorite kitesurfer is Kevin Sean (check out tophatrules on youtube).  With a wide twinfin board or hydrofoil, you can use a kite to pull you into unbroken swell to surf. 
I would not rely on cameras.  On weekend trips, just pack multisport gear, and use whatever the conditions call for.
Being that you are far from surf, I would try to find a hobby closer that you could do during the week.
SUP: lakes, rivers, waterways
Skateboard: Skateparks, ramps, dirtsurfer, onewheel, longboard LDP (check out pavedwaveforum).
i.e. https://youtube.com/watch?v=6fxmLNJWu3k
https://youtube.com/watch?v=5KwcxN_Pgow
Rock climbing: indoor/outdoor
Or how about one of those water craft boards that has its own power.  Some had jetski technology.  The future ones should have hydrofoil technology.  I would love to have something like that to commute to work.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:15:51 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal