Author Topic: Bummed with North Carolina Surfing  (Read 57227 times)

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bummed with North Carolina Surfing
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 07:54:11 PM »
I'm in NC as well.  We generally go out and try to catch some waves every weekend but not because the surf is great, it usually is not. More becuase it is a great way to start the day. Hanging out with a few good friends, peacuful, and it is nice seeing the sun coming up over the ocean. Plus with a SUP you can usually catch something even when it is really small. Can't say I would want to drive 3-4 hrs for it though.

We also have been going to OBX in the fall for many years. Usually Sept or early Oct for a long weekend. Have cought it decent there quite a few times.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2019, 04:46:48 AM »
I'm in NC as well.  We generally go out and try to catch some waves every weekend but not because the surf is great, it usually is not. More becuase it is a great way to start the day. Hanging out with a few good friends, peacuful, and it is nice seeing the sun coming up over the ocean. Plus with a SUP you can usually catch something even when it is really small. Can't say I would want to drive 3-4 hrs for it though.

We also have been going to OBX in the fall for many years. Usually Sept or early Oct for a long weekend. Have cought it decent there quite a few times.

Thanks for that reply.  We are planning to do a road trip to the OBX as soon as school starts and the crowds go home.  We have a couple of small dogs, so we will probably get some sort of camper or try to find "dog friendly" places to stay.  Any intel on where to go and especially on where to surf, would be greatly appreciated.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2019, 01:54:51 PM »
ZOO.... Think Corolla in the fall. The surf changes quickly in NC,esp. Wilmington etc. Atlantic Beach can be good,but what cams show will be different by the time you drive there. Just go...think street racer= Run what you brung........A long board will always be a safe bet.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 07:06:55 AM »
 i once spent a winter in nc, right on the water, and didn't get a single day that matched my admittedly stringent requirements: a swell of any small size + light offshore winds + warmish air temps.  main trouble was, the wind blew NE onshore most of the time, with always enough strength to ruffle the water and often times worse.  guys like DW had no problem with any of this.  me, i was totally frustrated and eventually pulled up and left for st augustine fl where ... the damn wind situation was even worse.  and the wind chill was still pretty bad.

and now i'm in san diego where the wind blows onshore from dawn til dusk without end.  like, wtf?

so far, the best place for waves that i can ride (or at least used to be able to ride) is RI.  too cold for me in the winter but, without that, yeah: offshore winds much of the time and there's just enough small waves for me to call it the best place i ever lived for surf.  plus, it's not this crappy beach break stuff you get in nc and fl and a good bit of san diego.  nope: reefs and points.  if only it was warmer there, i'd never have left. 

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 10:12:40 AM »
Perhaps a wing surfer will solve your problems!
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 10:21:57 AM »
I think a big part of my problem is what everyone has said:  I look at the cams and it doesn't look worth it so I don't go.  If I just went, I would probably find something.  Oak Island is the exception, I will never go there again expecting surf.  Nice place but terrible surf.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »
Thanks for that reply.  We are planning to do a road trip to the OBX as soon as school starts and the crowds go home.  We have a couple of small dogs, so we will probably get some sort of camper or try to find "dog friendly" places to stay.  Any intel on where to go and especially on where to surf, would be greatly appreciated.

Think there is a big surf fishing tournament there every fall so find out when that is and then DO NOT go then. Beaches are packed with fisherman. Do you have a 4wd? You can drive on the beach there ( have to buy a pass ) so we try to do that because we want to be away from others if possible and it helps with the wave hunt. We usually stay at Frisco Woods Campground, bathhouse is clean and it is conveniently located to places that we want to be. Take a look at their website. We rent a small cabin, is basically a shed with AC but it is fine for what we do when we are there. We don't need much. We are coming up from the south so we take the ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke then to Hatteras. Not the fastest way to get there but we like it. We stay in Frisco because we have friends near there and we can travel North or South of the point to look for waves. I have never surfed up past Nags Head but I am sure others on here with more knowledge than I would have some info about that.

I don't know much, but feel free to message me or ask anytime. I am in Wilmington so if you are going make a trip to the beach and are near here maybe we can meet up sometime. No promises on surf but there is always places for food and beverages as a backup plan.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »

Think there is a big surf fishing tournament there every fall so find out when that is and then DO NOT go then. Beaches are packed with fisherman. Do you have a 4wd? You can drive on the beach there ( have to buy a pass ) so we try to do that because we want to be away from others if possible and it helps with the wave hunt. We usually stay at Frisco Woods Campground, bathhouse is clean and it is conveniently located to places that we want to be. Take a look at their website. We rent a small cabin, is basically a shed with AC but it is fine for what we do when we are there. We don't need much. We are coming up from the south so we take the ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke then to Hatteras. Not the fastest way to get there but we like it. We stay in Frisco because we have friends near there and we can travel North or South of the point to look for waves. I have never surfed up past Nags Head but I am sure others on here with more knowledge than I would have some info about that.

I don't know much, but feel free to message me or ask anytime. I am in Wilmington so if you are going make a trip to the beach and are near here maybe we can meet up sometime. No promises on surf but there is always places for food and beverages as a backup plan.

Thank you for the intel and for that kind offer, I may take you up on that.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 04:22:38 PM »
I think a big part of my problem is what everyone has said:  I look at the cams and it doesn't look worth it so I don't go.  If I just went, I would probably find something.  Oak Island is the exception, I will never go there again expecting surf.  Nice place but terrible surf.

Yeah Oak Island sucks for surf, and probably even worse in the summer with the SW winds. Check surfchex - WB regularly. Should be decent next few days actually.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 05:40:39 PM »

Yeah Oak Island sucks for surf, and probably even worse in the summer with the SW winds. Check surfchex - WB regularly. Should be decent next few days actually.
I have been paddling out to Yaupon Reef from Oak Island largely because the surf is typically smaller. Loaded with gear and paddling with guys in fishing kayaks, low surf is good. That SW wind pushes you back to shore when tired too. But for surfing? Cross the Cape Fear to the east facing beaches.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2019, 02:59:53 PM »
C Street, Wrightsville Beach actually looks pretty good on the Surfline cam today.  Dang, wish I could beam over there, anybody got a Star Trek transporter that will fit my SUP?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2019, 03:37:21 PM »
Zooport, these last few months have been surprisingly weak down in northeast Florida as well. Some of our most fun waves come in March-April-May ... not this year. Perhaps it's just a fluky thing.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2019, 10:16:05 PM »
Probably just showing my ignorance of NC  surf. But I remember years ago living in MD and planning our great trip to cape hatteras. Surf was good peaky. Sob horseflies were terrible they,d bite and hang on while you duck dived. That was around 1973 or 4    So I am guessing that’s way far away?  The 2 times we went that summer were both better than most onshore days here in Carlsbad
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2019, 05:38:19 PM »
Probably just showing my ignorance of NC  surf. But I remember years ago living in MD and planning our great trip to cape hatteras. Surf was good peaky. Sob horseflies were terrible they,d bite and hang on while you duck dived. That was around 1973 or 4    So I am guessing that’s way far away?  The 2 times we went that summer were both better than most onshore days here in Carlsbad

Yeah, sounds good, except for the horse flies.  Wife and I are going to do a road trip to the OBX in early September, as soon as school begins and crowds go home.  I hope I can score at least one good surf day.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2019, 06:12:16 AM »
Zoo,  Sept. could be good for HAT, or any EC spot, if the Atlantic wakes up from this long nap. In case they don't have them in CA, take some decent shoes.  HAT and many places are well known for Sand Spurs - you will not forget them, nor all those other wonderful things that fly-n-bite OW mentioned.  (Selfish me, I probably would have flown the kids into LA ...occasionally.)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal