Author Topic: Bummed with North Carolina Surfing  (Read 57225 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bummed with North Carolina Surfing
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 06:25:25 AM »
The current situation ~1.5 miles offshore at OI:

2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 09:46:45 AM »
The current situation ~1.5 miles offshore at OI:

That turned out to be someone in a different group out at TI which faces east like WB (OI faces south; sometimes surf differs quite a bit).
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 07:28:25 PM »
I'll be honest.  I'm still floored that your wife expected you to just pick up and move and give up your lifestyle.  I hope she appreciates what you had to give up and at least has some understanding and sympathy.  So now that what's done is done, maybe as others have suggested it's time to take up kiting or maybe windsurfing.  Also maybe SUPing without the surfing aspect.  Are the good coves and bays to explore in NC? 

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 02:08:55 AM »
I'll be honest.  I'm still floored that your wife expected you to just pick up and move and give up your lifestyle.  I hope she appreciates what you had to give up and at least has some understanding and sympathy.  So now that what's done is done, maybe as others have suggested it's time to take up kiting or maybe windsurfing.  Also maybe SUPing without the surfing aspect.  Are the good coves and bays to explore in NC? 

I have transitioned over to mountain biking which is something I love, but not as much as SUP surfing.  Flat water paddling doesn't do it for me.  The big payoff is being 5 minutes from my two grandsons and our kids, we are all close.  I traded surfing for being with my daughter and getting to watch my grandsons grow up, so it's a good trade.  But moving away from the beach has been tougher than I imagined.  Thought I would drive to the beach every few days, but combining a 3 hour drive with not finding surf has made it difficult to get motivated. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 02:22:34 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 02:26:39 AM »
Don't give up. We should start seeing some hurricanes pretty soon.   :) 
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 06:30:08 AM »

I have transitioned over to mountain biking which is something I love, but not as much as SUP surfing.  Flat water paddling doesn't do it for me.  The big payoff is being 5 minutes from my two grandsons and our kids, we are all close.  I traded surfing for being with my daughter and getting to watch my grandsons grow up, so it's a good trade.  But moving away from the beach has been tougher than I imagined.  Thought I would drive to the beach every few days, but combining a 3 hour drive with not finding surf has made it difficult to get motivated.

I DO apologies if I stepped outa line.
Yeah mountainbiking is a plus.  What about wind powered activities?

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 12:12:52 PM »
Dwight probably called it for much of the exposed coast: "You surf at sunrise or you don’t surf much."   My friends who live at the beach are often out of the water by 9 am...then back in when the sea-breeze backs off.   It seems to be blowing a lot recently with no legitimate groundswell.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 12:45:09 PM »

I DO apologies if I stepped outa line.
Yeah mountainbiking is a plus.  What about wind powered activities?

Oh no, not outa line at all.  I had that same attitude for awhile, but seeing all the milestones in the lives of my grandsons has changed my heart.  Having a little 18 month old guy following me around saying "Papa, papa" melts even this old surfer's heart.  Still miss SUP surfing terribly, but I am OK with the change.  Actually dealing with a little depression from surfing withdrawal, it's been my identity for 45 years, but thank God for the great mountain biking here.  If it weren't for that, I would go insane.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 12:54:18 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 12:54:17 PM »
Have you biked pisgah, bent creek, or tsali yet?

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »

Not yet, but those are on my to do list.  Since I live at Col Beatty, I mostly hop on my bike and make a lap or two there.   I've ridden Sherman Branch, Whitewater Center, Anne Springs and other local Charlotte trails, but I am looking forward to going to the mountains for some more intense action.  I'm actually not a very good mountain biker.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »

Not yet, but those are on my to do list.  Since I live at Col Beatty, I mostly hop on my bike and make a lap or two there.   I've ridden Sherman Branch, Whitewater Center, Anne Springs and other local Charlotte trails, but I am looking forward to going to the mountains for some more intense action.  I'm actually not a very good mountain biker.

Neither am I, as I currently don’t have a bike.  I’m not familiar with those Charlotte trails—-are they hilly?  Lots of variety here in WNC, so you can build up to the crazy Pisgah trails.
Also, from Charlotte it should only be around 5 1/2 - 6 hours to the OBX.  I can get there from Asheville in 7.5 if I push it.  But, since you’d want to go further down Hatteras to get the waves, I guess it would take 45 minutes or so longer.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
NC is very windy almost everyday. You surf at sunrise or you don’t surf much.

Exactly - cali you have a bit more time, case in point, there's literally 1.6' at 8s in the water and there's a rideable wave at WB right now - http://surfchex.com/cams/wrightsville-beach/

So.......again, I'm not sure if your threshold for a rideable wave is, but there's always something.

All I'm seeing on the cams is tiny stuff breaking right on the beach.  Maybe the cams make it look worse than it is.  I just don't want to make the 3 hour drive again and keep getting skunked. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 03:35:38 AM »
Yesterday down at OI it was a lot rougher than predicted but much of that was a somewhat local storm a few miles out. I paddled out to Yaupon Reef with the kayakers, but I couldn't take but a few hours of the near constant paddling I had to do to keep from crossing the reef too quickly. I am getting a drift sock this week. It wasn't huge swell, but it was a confused sea with waves from two directions and the wind. There were white caps all around and it was like 3' chop with an occasional larger wave rolling through.

Anyway, we went out about 6 am and I got back to the beach just before noon and the tide was out. After a short rest, I paddled out to the second bar and it was perfect for me trying to learn to get on small waves on my battle ship as they would crest, break and then kind of turn back into small swells that were breaking on the beach. Very short rides, but just far enough to learn about getting on a wave, then paddling back through smallish breakers.

It would have been disappointing if you wanted long rides with bigger waves. The Outer Banks usually has larger waves. It's a bit further but it's a nice place to visit if you haven't been.

Also, there are big waves in advance of the big storms. I went down to CB and took a longboard prone lesson a few days before Florence last year.  Waves outrun the storms by a few days; the weather was still nice. It was kind of weird seeing people outside under a bluebird sky boarding up houses and businesses. I certainly don't wish for storms, but if they get near our coast, there are some waves.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 05:38:35 PM »
So while I was out paddling a couple of miles off the NC coast, we had our third shark attack of the month about 20 miles away...

https://www.wral.com/nc-coast-sees-third-shark-encounter-this-month/18457020/
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 06:41:06 PM »
Yikes! 
8'6 Soul Compass