Author Topic: Wing Sup Board  (Read 7043 times)

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Wing Sup Board
« on: June 13, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »
Looking to get into Wing Surfing. 205 pounds mid fifties live in Florida Keys so flat water unless you go 6 miles out to the Reef. Want board for just Wing Surfing. Started SUP on 2009 Naish Nalu 10' 6" (160 liters? ) then moved onto a JL Slice 12' 6" ( 210 liters? ). Just started using Nalu again since I added the Larry Allison 4Drive system. Seems like a lot of boards are long ie. Slingshot Airtime 7' 8" 145 liters. JL Flying V 6' 11" 129 liters and Kalama Elevator 6' 6" 134 liters seem about the right size? Dane Kalama mentioned not to focus on volume so what are good boards to learn on and not immediately out grow? Too early for Custom Board? Will be taking foil lesson at Otherside Cable Park on Grassy Key to get stated. Thanks in advance for replies.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Wing Sup Board
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:45:08 PM »
Slingshot is suggesting the Outwit boards for Wing Foiling https://www.slingshotsports.com/Outwit.  We went with those and they look great (and are fine to stand and balance on).  Really nice quality.  No foiling on them yet (wings are in transit) so no help in that respect.  Like you, we aim to use them just for winging so we thought as small as we could stand on to get started.  Once you are foiling (we have no experience there) it seems like any board above the minimum would just be a hindrance. We went with the 5'10 and 6'6 (we are 115 and 165 lbs).   Lets see how that works out :).  The 7'6 size might be a good choice for you.  I could imagine that the ideal size may be very different than for SUP surf or downwind where you may require more size to paddle out, stand in a lineup, catch waves or swell, etc. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:37:45 PM by Admin »

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 02:47:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 06:15:40 AM »
Just realized Dwight (DW) is making the Falcon Sup Surfmachine in my front yard a few hours away. An other option.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:19:36 AM by Keys Sup »

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
Just realized Dwight (DW) is making the Falcon Sup Surfmachine in my front yard a few hours away. An other option.
You will be happy!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 07:41:38 PM »
If I lived anywhere near DW I’d get one of his boards for sure. He puts real time in testing and knows what works.

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »
Decided on a Blue Planet Easy Foiler 7'6" with Large Foil. After learning how to do this will most likely sell this to get a smaller board. 

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
If I lived anywhere near DW I’d get one of his boards for sure. He puts real time in testing and knows what works.
He ships all across the mainland 🇺🇸 last I checked. But I understand foilboards have got him covered up with work lately. Not sure of he's making any other boards besides Foil boards right now. Certainly worth shooting him a text.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 10:05:30 AM »
They started packing it yesterday!

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 03:24:09 PM »
would be nice if Surfmachine ships international like Australia?

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
I’ve called my local kite supplier about the Duotone wing, deff going to give it a go on the PtBreak!

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 12:24:41 PM »
I am downwinging in Maui Maliko to Harbor.  I had never hydrofoiled before I had Duotone Wings to use.  I started on a Fanatic 7ft hydrofoil SUP 130L board but the key is the hydrofoil setup, and hydrofoil wing size needs to be bigger to fly easier. I started with a Fanatic hydrofoil front wing 2000sqcm long, 80cm fuselage & 75cm mast.  I have friends who have struggled on their smaller front wings, and smaller fuselages.  I use that setup about 15 times, and then used a smaller Fanatic 6’3” 100l board for a few months with the same Fanatic 2000sqcm/80cm/75cm.  The smaller board makes it easier to pump, but you trade off ease of standing.  Now finally, I got a custom board that barely floats my weight.  5ft long, 24” wide, 68L.  I now use a 90cm mast and if it’s windy enough I prefer a 1500sqcm front wing, but have kept the 80cm fuselage.  I still like the 2000sqcm front wing to get flying easier, with no pumping needed if less wind.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxicKPlnfCu/?igshid=uri6xvcm1x3k
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:39:27 PM by Julie_Scheyer »
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 07:16:23 PM »
Picked up Blue Planet Easy Foiler 7'6" From Delta Cargo at MIA. Not planing on using it for SUP but was wondering if it would be useful to put on a tuttle fin and try to paddle it? Hope it is not the shorter Cobra Tuttle box or all my fins will not fit. Different stance so probably a waste of time?

Going to Foot Doctor in morning to get cleared to get back in the water then book a foil lesson at Otherside Cable Park.

Julie when you fall and use the wing to protect yourself do you always fall on your front or back or both.? Watched some videos where the foiler crossed his arms in front of his face when he fell.

Thanks

Julie_Scheyer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 02:17:00 AM »
I fall everywhere!  I’m holding onto it, so it’s at my face level when I get to the water. My Ion waist leash is long enough too, that I have never been close to the board.  My hydrofoil doesn’t turn on its edge, and it stays down, so I think that’s safer than some lighter ones that stay on edge.  I also fall less now with a 90cm mast. 

Here is how I fall with the wing.
  https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxg59d0n0Tp/?igshid=atldcnr5yu9n
Duotone Foilwing rider.  Hydrofoil setup for Foilwings: Fanatic 1500 or 2000sqcm front wings, 80cm fuselage, 90cm Mast & Fanatic 5ft 68L Sky Solbach proto board.  SUP: SIC Bullet 16ft, Naish Mana 8’6”, Fanatic 6’3” wave SUP hydrofoil. Qb paddles

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 04:36:13 AM »
Thanks Julie.
Will be using a helmet and impact vest while learning.
Then progressing to shorter board hopefully.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal