Author Topic: Dave Kalama leading the youngsters in olu'kai?  (Read 3780 times)

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Dave Kalama leading the youngsters in olu'kai?
« on: June 12, 2019, 10:44:15 PM »
Watched this clip on Go Foils Facebook page and it seems to suggest Dave K was leading the youngsters until they hit the inside end section where he came off the foil - amazing if he can still mix it with the kids!

https://www.facebook.com/Gofoils/?__tn__=%2CdkC-R&eid=ARBxzYdXJsLcP_rllqRwDukIPS7Wsl9TMx6VHY7axYn-_DGd1lpHhMht3n4OR9LyGKsxAem6wBofybbt&hc_ref=ARQEZCmJws1bXEaDNxUZ6G0VmEGgrCF7yeGTN5NHC4XmLo2rJfzUAcTt0NnUMwahRuk&fref=nf

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Kalama leading the youngsters in olu'kai?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 07:44:11 AM »
Dave is better at reading the water than just about anyone, and I think weight means speed on a foil, right up until it gets so light that you can't stay up or you need to turn to come in and there's no swell headed for the beach. Then the 100 pound pumpers zoom by you. Happened on the Maui to Molokai race also, but in that case the swell died a long way from the finish.

But yeah, he's great at downwinding. I want to be Dave when I grow up.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 08:57:46 AM »
What a nice guy and great dad to stop paddling so his son, and his young buddies can zoom on by to "win" the race. What dads will do for their kids to make their kids feel good about themselves. Dad had his days, now it's son's turn.   ;) ;D

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »
Ummm...  ...yeah.

Dave's a great guy, he'll pull out of a wave that's clearly his to let a kook have it. As long as it's a small one. But the only human being I know of who is more competitive is Annabel Anderson. I wouldn't say he'd step on Austin's head to pass him, but...
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »
That was a joke there PB....that's what the "wink" and the big "grin" were there for.

Geez...

(Yes, that's another attempt at apparently poor humor as well... :D)

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:57:12 AM »
Dave would be 20-25kg heavier than the lightest guys - In the flats he'd be at a massive disadvantage but even out in the bumps he'd either have to have a bigger foil (more drag) or work harder to stay up.

Looks like he was using the GL 210 so same size as the kids = 10-20% more effort unless his technique could compensate.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 12:18:09 PM »
It was interesting that the paddlers passed the guy with the surfwing... I figured the surfwing might be an advantage in a downwind?

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 04:10:33 PM »
It was interesting that the paddlers passed the guy with the surfwing... I figured the surfwing might be an advantage in a downwind?

The guy on the wingsurfer was still trying to figure that thing out. I've become super skeptical of that thing since seeing the trouble people are having with it.
Makes me rethink how regular kitesurfing can be applied to this discipline. I have a few ideas I cant wait to try out!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 04:24:00 PM »
That was a joke there PB....that's what the "wink" and the big "grin" were there for.

Geez...
(Yes, that's another attempt at apparently poor humor as well... :D)

Of course I knew that, but I couldn't resist. What do you expect when you feed me straight lines like that?

Peterp -- increased wingloading increases drag and decreases glide slope, but it also increases speed. As long as he's gaining enough energy from the swell to stay up he'll be going faster given the same size wing. You see exactly the same effect by going to a smaller wing, with the added benefit that a smaller wing has less form drag--which is why skinny rules. The skinny young dudes would need to drop a couple of wing sizes to stay up with him or pass him. But then they'd take a chance on struggling to get up, not having enough lift to make it through the light sections, and they'd plunk down at the same point he does.

The reason I want to be able to shape my own wings is to go further into territory that no manufacturer is likely to tread. Wings for fat old guys optimized for speed but still with enough lift. I won't be surprised if I wind up with wings that stick out a few feet on either side of the board.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:37:13 PM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »

Alan told me what the plan was with the wing--to play around and cover a lot of ground until Kanaha, and then go for it. Last I heard Alan was going to be on a wingfoil as well, apparently the plans changed.

On the other hand I don't think wingfoiling will necessarily be fast. It's clumsy to go downwind on them, for the same reason it's clumsy to go straight downwind on a windsurfer--nothing to lean against to help your balance, and the apparent windspeed is much less--wind speed minus your actual speed. The fastest point of sail on almost any sailcraft is a broad reach. The solution is a lot of broad reaches. With a windsurfer you'd cover at least 40 percent more distance than a straight downwinder. I expect wingfoils will be similar.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:43:12 PM by PonoBill »

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 06:22:01 PM »

Alan told me what the plan was with the wing--to play around and cover a lot of ground until Kanaha, and then go for it. Last I heard Alan was going to be on a wingfoil as well, apparently the plans changed.

On the other hand I don't think wingfoiling will necessarily be fast. It's clumsy to go downwind on them, for the same reason it's clumsy to go straight downwind on a windsurfer--nothing to lean against to help your balance, and the apparent windspeed is much less--wind speed minus your actual speed. The fastest point of sail on almost any sailcraft is a broad reach. The solution is a lot of broad reaches. With a windsurfer you'd cover at least 40 percent more distance than a straight downwinder. I expect wingfoils will be similar.

Ahh.... makes sense!

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 06:40:16 AM »
The waves look non existent at the end. Must need to be in ridiculous shape to be able to finish on the foil even if you are light.

What's the word on the ventral fin? Dave been using one a lot?

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »
Top 3 were riding "prototypes"  anyone know what kind of prototypes they were on??

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 03:27:28 PM »
The waves look non existent at the end. Must need to be in ridiculous shape to be able to finish on the foil even if you are light.

What's the word on the ventral fin? Dave been using one a lot?

Helpful when things are a bit crossed up when you're paddling for a wave. I had a ventral box put into Mr. Fugly when it was built but I don't use it. Tried it a few times and with my loose hold on control and occasional slamdowns that Fugly is good at recovering from I found the fin more trouble than it's worth,

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal