Author Topic: Tight Go Foil Wing  (Read 2341 times)

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Tight Go Foil Wing
« on: June 11, 2019, 05:30:34 PM »
I have a super tight wing that i want to sand, is there a video that shows how its done?

jt737

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tight Go Foil Wing
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:57:19 PM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 10:18:50 PM »
That video addresses the opposite problem. If all your wings are tight you can take a bit off the mast. That's pretty straightforward. Start by looking at the mold parting lines and just sand off the lines to get a nice flat surface. Check once you're done that and see how things look. If you can give the wing one sharp whack with a rubber mallet and get the screw holes aligned then you're home free.

If you need more, take the wing that goes on the easiest, coat the mast plug with a thin coat of silicon grease and whack the wing on until it's fully seated. Pop it back off and look for the places where the grease was completely rubbed off. Those are your high points. Sand them off. Repeat this until your loosest wing goes on with just a light whack. That's as much as you want to take off the mast or your loose wings will be too loose.

recoat the mast plug with silicone grease, wipe off the excess. Look inside the wing hole with a flashlight and see if you have any obvious mold junk. If you do, make a sanding block with a paint stirrer trimmed to duplicate the mast plug. Glue a strip of coarse sandpaper--like 80 grit--and smooth out the junk.

Rinse out the grit, dry as well as you can, put the wing on and give it a solid whack with a reasonably heavy rubber mallet. Pop it back off and look at the mast plug. The high spots tell you where you need to sand inside the wing hole. You may find that the silicone grease lets you get the screw hole lined up without sanding. If so, you're good. Yeah, it's still not a perfect fit, but if the grease lets it line up, don't fiddle.

Sanding the inside if the wing hole is a bitch. Mostly you need to made sure you're following the shape of the hole and not just grinding a taper into the mouth of the hole. If you're careful and you keep checking for the high spots and sanding just them, then you can get a good fit. If you rush it you'll just screw it up. You'd be better off calling the fit good if it's still too tight to line the hole up and just grinding the screw hole to an oval that lets you get the screw in.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:56:18 AM »
You'd be better off calling the fit good if it's still too tight to line the hole up and just grinding the screw hole to an oval that lets you get the screw in.

Thanks PB, I was wondering if that was a viable option or me just looking for the easy way out. Gonna go that route!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 10:06:25 AM »
You'd be better off calling the fit good if it's still too tight to line the hole up and just grinding the screw hole to an oval that lets you get the screw in.

I did this with my tailwing.  The hole was only off by ~ 1/8" not a big deal.  With the tailwing you can drill a new hole from the TOP and/or the bottom.  The main wing bottom only.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal