Author Topic: Another shark bite in NC  (Read 4606 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Another shark bite in NC
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 07:46:05 AM »
That's a tough one for me, unchecked I could eat tuna and salmon sahimi everyday.

Ironically, farm raised salmon has improved, go figure.  But how do you really know what you're getting?  Wholefoods seems to be making an effort...

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 08:25:51 AM »
likewise, but this is no joke---and yes, there have been many studies that have proven that origin and even species of fish are often misrepresented

tempting for fish sellers to double the price of farmed salmon to that of wild alaska, where customers can't know the difference

i buy char more these days, bc they dont farm it, so it's got to be wild

1 eat lowest salt sardines i can find too--super oily fish (supposed helps with heart and circulatory health), low food chain so minimal toxins

otoh, there is a new industry of green fish farmers, where they are pitching that their fish is healthier than wild, and they pollute little--greenpoint fish market here in bklyn sources lots of this new fish, but the prices are laughable---eat there shop there--great place--the crudo is awesome if youre feeling rich

i love eating all swimming fish (allergic to shellfiish)  -- gave up on fake veganism, in favor of pescatarianism

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:28:10 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »
That's my basic problem with Ulua--top of the food chain predator near an island that has vast amounts of ag runoff, and therefore lots of dinoflagellates that get eaten by the little reef fish and concentrated in the predators. Lots of friends of mine on Maui have Ciguatera, which never really goes away and gets much worse with subsequent exposure. There are plenty of natural toxins that get concentrated in predators, but since we've turned the oceans into a dump it makes sense to pay attention to what I eat.

Ahi generally tests fairly clean of both heavy metal and algae toxins. The pretty much only hunt in deep water and only take fast moving fish. That helps, Mahi too. My favorite fish--ono (whaoo) is a bit less selective, but I pretend it's fine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 10:00:07 AM »
Actually, I read somewhere that past about 50 or so you can stop worrying quite so much about the metals if you have kept consumption at safe levels when younger. We'll die of something else before enough accumulates. Pleasant thought, that...  :o
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 11:57:16 AM »
Statistically, I would suppose that if you engage in wingsuit flying (for example), your chances of dying from metals/toxins might be pretty low...especially if you are over 50. ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 05:32:39 PM »
Statistically, I would suppose that if you engage in wingsuit flying (for example), your chances of dying from metals/toxins might be pretty low...especially if you are over 50. ;D

Or sharkbite. Probably several orders of magnitude.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal