Author Topic: Another shark bite in NC  (Read 4603 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Another shark bite in NC
« on: June 11, 2019, 05:23:45 AM »
Season not off to a great start. A surfer in Ocean Isle this time.

https://www.wral.com/surfer-bitten-by-shark-off-ocean-isle-beach/18443466/

The 17 year old girl bitten a couple of weeks back lost her leg. Then there was that gator spotted on the beach at Topsail. This kind of stuff is not good for tourism.

I am still headed offshore this weekend...
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Another shark bite in NC
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 06:08:38 AM »
Ya, RTG... the east coast is getting sharky.  You cannot top Creeks' 'GW feeding grounds' up north, but spooky is all over the place.   This 300lb Bull was caught in Chesapeake Bay last summer.  They are seen as far north as Annapolis ...for you Lululemon paddlers.

A kiting friend, just last week, doing a downwinder in the ocean saw a surf fisherman pull about a 5'er out.  She figures it was a dogfish.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:15:06 AM »

This kind of stuff is not good for tourism.

That comment reads from a VERY popular movie. Ironically from this subject at hand.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 06:49:46 AM »
Ya, RTG... the east coast is getting sharky.  You cannot top Creeks' 'GW feeding grounds' up north, but spooky is all over the place.   This 300lb Bull was caught in Chesapeake Bay last summer.  They are seen as far north as Annapolis ...for you Lululemon paddlers.

A kiting friend, just last week, doing a downwinder in the ocean saw a surf fisherman pull about a 5'er out.  She figures it was a dogfish.

Jim
I don't know; NC has had the highest concentration of the tagged/tracked GWs recently. But they are not all that close to shore here. Lots of smaller coastal sharks; I caught a 3' shark off my SUP and have seen a few larger ones but they are still small enough that the 14' board seems to spook them.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 08:32:37 AM »
Are Bull Sharks "even" good to eat?

I've only had Mako, but stopped years ago in hopes of a mutual understanding.  So far, so good...

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 08:50:13 AM »

I've only had Mako, but stopped years ago in hopes of a mutual understanding.  So far, so good...
Most sharks are good to eat with a major caveat about cleaning very quickly because they urinate through their skin. A lot of sharks are protected here (in NC). Pretty much all the large pelagic sharks are off limits, but you can keep any size of coastal sharks and I forget if there is even a limit on them. I release them. Sometimes I let them keep the hook and a few feet of line as a souvenir.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 09:49:12 AM »
Bean,  That particular one was caught near the mouth of the Potomac in some sort of indiscriminate trap these folks call their 'tradition'.   It's may have ended up in cat food.

"..in hopes of a mutual understanding.  So far, so good..."    Bravo!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »

Most sharks are good to eat with a major caveat about cleaning very quickly because they urinate through their skin. A lot of sharks are protected here (in NC). Pretty much all the large pelagic sharks are off limits, but you can keep any size of coastal sharks and I forget if there is even a limit on them. I release them. Sometimes I let them keep the hook and a few feet of line as a souvenir.

That seems a little cruel, right?  Maybe keep the hook and line?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 10:14:58 AM »
Hey Spirit, on the face of it (cheesy pun intended) it does sound a little cruel, but in fact, the hook will usually rust it's way out pretty quickly.  Maybe better than risking limbs and creating a larger exit wound.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 10:38:38 AM »
I generally use barbless hooks, but if you've got a hook buried deep then cutting the line is the easiest on the fish--so the marine biologists say. I've caught fish with fairly old hooks still embedded, but many more with old hook scars. In both cases the fish was fine and healthy when caught. I don't keep many of the fish I catch, mainly hatchery fish in fresh water (even if you're allowed to keep the wild ones) or specific salt water species that I particularly want to eat. I don't keep sharks, or Ulua--even Paipo. But if I see a moi I'll do everything I can to put it in a cooler. Ono are at risk too, if I haven't played them too long. Their skin actually gets hot if you don't get them in the cooler pretty quickly and then they tend to be chalky even if you're careful about not overcooking them.

Oh, wait, this is about shark bites. Never mind.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 12:36:16 PM »
I don't fish to often anymore, but when I do I usually use circle hooks.  Especially for fish that are regulated like fluke, stripers, tuna, etc...

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 12:44:37 PM »

That seems a little cruel, right?  Maybe keep the hook and line?
I do not target sharks, but sometimes they take the bait I intend to catch something else with. If the shark is small enough to control and the shank of the hook is accessible, I remove the hook. Once they get a little size on them, it becomes very difficult to safely remove a hook. You can do more harm trying to subdue them than the hook will do. Studies indicate that fish released with embedded hooks have a pretty high survival rate. A lot of times they make the cut. When it gets close, swinging its head back and forth can bring the line across its mouth and the teeth cut it (typically use a flouro leader). Anyway, I don't do this  just for grins.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:56:54 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 12:47:46 PM »
I don't fish to often anymore, but when I do I usually use circle hooks.  Especially for fish that are regulated like fluke, stripers, tuna, etc...
When I use bait, it is usually a strip behind a jig; especially flounder fishing. I haven't seen jigs with circle hooks; I don't think they would work very well.
EDIT - Sometimes I do use small fish whole and maybe I should use circle hooks then. But they do reduce catch rate pretty substantially:
https://news.ncsu.edu/2012/03/wms-rudershausen-hooks/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:53:23 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »
Hey Spirit, on the face of it (cheesy pun intended) it does sound a little cruel, but in fact, the hook will usually rust it's way out pretty quickly.  Maybe better than risking limbs and creating a larger exit wound.
Right, I guess don’t give up an arm to retrieve the hook.  👍

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 03:34:17 AM »
shark is particularly laden with mercury, other heavy metals and pcb's---shd be eaten only occasionally

keep in mind that these chems accumulate--ie whether shark tuna sword etc--the sum of all servings of all these fish is what one shd go by in assessing how much can be eaten

higher food chain=more toxins
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal