Author Topic: Things Ain't What They Used To Be  (Read 12437 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Things Ain't What They Used To Be
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2019, 08:51:46 PM »
Well I surfed the big sup again today, for only an hour as the shoulder was starting to stress. The waves were pretty strong for summer type windswell. Felt good to get in even if the water was 55F.

use those nsaid's gingerly--they are corrosive as hell
Keep riding, so youre peripherally strong when you go to try out the rehabbed joint again, surgery or not.
Get good guidance re prehab specific to your situation--and be religious.
If you get cut--hope you can feel better and get back in the ocean without--but youll have to do what will work.
Really sort out what specific paddle technique will prevent future issues, and pay up if your paddles aint optimal for your shoulder.
Hang in there--ocean aint going anywhere--you'll be back
eastbound- Solid set of suggestions up there. Thanx

A ride is a nice break from the noise.  may as well start to learn 'what they know'.  This is a pretty good resource for many basics.
https://thecurbsiders.com/podcast/124-the-shoulder-simplify-your-approach
Wetstuff- True that, I ride in a wildlife reserve close to my home. It's so peaceful back there away from the traffic. Spied a snapper turtle back there laying it's eggs the other day. I'll have to check out that link.

I don't know if you read music but I took up the chromatic harmonica and taught myself how to read music while I was down all those months. Please keep posting here.  We all really enjoy your videos and photos.
Thanx, lopezwill. I do read music and play everyday to keep my chops in tact. That's super cool you taught yourself to read music. Chromatic harmonica too! That's amazing. One of my favorite instruments...Toots Thielman comes to mind. Nice of you to comment about my fotos and video.

Bikes are good therapy though and you can rocket down the causeway! We used to do that all the time as kids there.
Wow, Scallop! You have LBI roots?!

I got the shots a number of times over the course of many years; that's a short term fix that can weaken tendons over time.
Good to know. This will be my second cortisone shot in the right shoulder. First one was in 2008.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2019, 12:02:26 PM »

<<Quote from: Scallop on June 06, 2019, 09:56:20 AM
Bikes are good therapy though and you can rocket down the causeway! We used to do that all the time as kids there.
Wow, Scallop! You have LBI roots?!>>>>

Lookin good, even with a bad wing....

Heck yeah, I could go on for hours about the awesomeness of growing up there. Even before we moved there permanently we would come over every weekend from just over on the PA side of the Burlington Bristol Bridge in the warmer months. Fish for fluke on the Barnegate Light bay beach all day, camp in the station wagon on the causeway catching crabs all night. Dad would save up and we would rent a house on the beach block in Surf City for a week every summer for his vacation.

Grandparents moved to Ship Bottom in '73, lived in a 45 foot Garvey that was put up on blocks and turned into a house in the 50's. We moved there permanently in '74 to Manahawkin in the "new section" of Beach Haven West at the time.

Graduate of Southern Regional HS '83, Stockton State '88.

Hell I practically grew up on the bay. I had a commercial clammers license at 12 years old piloting my own skiff solo on the bay. Paid for my first car, a couple of boat upgrades, and 2 years of college.

Like I said could go on forever....

Oh and a buddy and I once shot the causeway on junk a** tandem bike, rattling rusty fenders, coaster brake and all.

Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2019, 03:38:46 PM »
I got the shots a number of times over the course of many years; that's a short term fix that can weaken tendons over time.
Good to know. This will be my second cortisone shot in the right shoulder. First one was in 2008.

I had ~5 shots to each shoulder over the course of 30 years or so. The last time I asked about it the doc suspected a tear and told me if I got another shot I was risking making it tear more easily and making any future repair fragile. I got an MRI that confirmed the tear and had it repaired. I have had the back shots twice about 5 or 6 years apart. They use imaging to give me 4 shots at the corners of S5 as the discs on either side of it are herniated and there is narrowing (spinal stenosis) that squeezes the cord a bit. I am doing exercise to keep the muscles around that area in good shape hoping to avoid more shots.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2019, 07:10:32 PM »
I had ~5 shots to each shoulder over the course of 30 years or so.
That's alotta shootin'! Definitely apprehensive w/a touch of anxiety in there for good measure! You have the best user name, Glide! Well second to Creek that is!  :P
Thought you might like to check out some of our local scenery.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gLlmJa5qWXg2FJ6tSFGTkbMXx1EeptxR

Lookin good, even with a bad wing....Graduate of Southern Regional HS '83, Stockton State '88.

lol, thanx, Scallop. Funny, after 3 months out of the water I felt I was really losing touch w/my surfing ability. Sure felt good to reassure myself by catchin' a couple. But my shoulder is kinda payin' for it now.
I also went to Southern, but only for a coupla yrs. So I guess I'm part local LBI. Impressive Jersey roots you have. I recently attended the NJ surfing Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Manasquan. Some serious NJ stoke that night.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2019, 07:48:25 PM »
Well I surfed the big sup again today, for only an hour as the shoulder was starting to stress. The waves were pretty strong for summer type windswell. Felt good to get in even if the water was 55F.

Nice to see you're back to your shenanigans ;) even if for a short while.
in progress...

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2019, 01:27:02 PM »
Nice to see you're back to your shenanigans ;) even if for a short while.
lol..thanx, burch. Did feel good.

Hit it again on 6-11. Definitely the best post shoulder injury sesh so far. Caught a bunch in the allotted hr that my shoulder allows b4 stressing. I paddle WAY easier using my left arm as the power point. Nice offshores.

Had the sonogram guided cortisone injection today , 6-13. DAMN that hurt! Doctor said it was way tight in there. The pain shot through my body and I got kinda flush. Laid down for 5 mins after that one. Was hoping to surf tomorrow but looks like it's tabled for 48 hrs according doctors orders. He said undue stress would likely cause cortisone flair up and I had been through that agony in 2008. Too bad, forecast looks nice for tomorrow following the little nor-easter we just had.
Fingers crossed this injection will relieve me for a bit. Next appointment is in a month. Doctor said I am a good candidate for shoulder replacement.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2019, 02:08:50 PM »

. Doctor said I am a good candidate for shoulder replacement.
Good to hear.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal