Author Topic: Uphauling  (Read 3419 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Uphauling
« on: June 07, 2019, 10:16:58 AM »
Until we figure out an easy waterstart here is a nice uphaul technique that allows you to use both hands to push up surf style.  It looks like you could even pull the wing right near the downwind rail and use that to push off down on the leading edge with one hand for more stability.  Like an inflatable ama :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-afluB018fI
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 11:20:25 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Uphauling
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 12:16:38 PM »
I've done both, but it's easier for me to start on my knees, get the wing stable, and come up to stand with the wing helping with a little lift. With my crappy and weak left knee you'd think I'd favor the pushup, but I found the knee start to be easier because I could get the wing flying, under control, and then use it like a sail to get everything pointed the way I planned to go.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 01:39:48 PM »
Hey Pono,

I cant remember.  You are just using these on a regular sup right now without trying to foil yet?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 03:14:17 PM »
I don't have mine yet in Hood River, but no, I'm going to be foiling. The lessons I took in Maui were aimed at foiling and I did indeed foil on the last day. I used a Naish wing here in Hood River with my foil, but that was a complete fail for me. My toasted shoulders demand more lift. I looked like a chicken trying to fly with clipped wings.

Rumor has it that the first shipment Duotone wings to Big Winds arrives next week. I certainly hope so, I'm going to start foilsurfing if the don't show pretty damned quick. In fact I would be sailing this weekend if I didn't have to go to Spokane.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 02:12:28 PM »
We did some messing around on our new foil-boards without the wings.  Mostly just working on popping up and getting a feel for the balance of the foil underneath.  Pretty cool feeling and a little different than I expected.  The foil does add a lot of stability but it has this slow roll if its leaning (at a standstill).  Once it is leaning it resists coming back a bit but then slowly does.  The boards are short (5'10 x 25 and 6'6 x 28) but they are pretty thick and corky.  The volume feels about right.  I am sure they will be plenty challenging in rough conditions (it has been glass).  Stoked to get some wings and let the flailing begin.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 03:18:08 PM »
floiling?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 05:04:06 PM »
floiling?

And now my next month has a name.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 05:54:14 PM »
Admin......your body has to re-learn side to side SUP wobble stability. Once your body learns it, regular SUP is over. You won’t be able to stand on a board without a foil.

I’ve just given up and removed my regular SUP from the van. No great loss. I’m loyal to the foil now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal