Author Topic: Sunova or Infinity  (Read 18680 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunova or Infinity
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2019, 06:28:47 AM »
Can you share some links to unlimited boards? I'll take a look, just not sure something so long as to require a rudder steering system is something I'll like. I enjoy moving around on the board and doing the kick turns, occasionally surfing a wave in to shore.

With a 16 footer you can still do this stuff but that's usually a custom job like mine. The cost was under what brand new Starboard or Naish 14 footer would cost and it was made to my specs which is why I like it so much
but you have to know exactly what you want. I'm sure infinity can make you a custom 16 whiplash.

Another custom alternative is as gcs mentioned, a Florida local brand Flying fish that allows you to get a custom up to 14'6" at a reasonable price with a lot of personalized configurations:
https://www.flyingfishboardco.com/3d-custom-build

If all of the above sounds too complicated, for simplicity sake I would definitely take a close look at the SIC Okeanos or the Sunova Expedition, Both good shapes with a very attractive price point.
in progress...

Iks_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2019, 03:52:12 PM »
I got the SIC Okeanos 14. Loving this board. Thanks for the advice.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2019, 04:35:18 PM »
Awesome Iks 8) Enjoy your ride!
Hope to see a review of the board once you logged some miles on it.
I know there are other folks eyeing this board.
in progress...

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 08:05:34 AM »
That looks awesome,Iks. Congrats. Looking forward to your impressions.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Iks_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2019, 12:18:04 PM »
So, a few things i immediately liked about the board:

1. Flat deck surface (non-recessed standing area). I'm a big guy, and I have cracked the edge of a board with the paddle handle that had a standing area recessed about an inch. Lower center of gravity, I know, but I like this better.

2. Wide tail. The pic doesn't do it justice. The tail is very wide and adds to the stability, a plus for a guy my size.

3. It handles side chop well. I'm not the best paddler by any means, but I am outperforming myself on this board already.

4. Aesthetics. It looks better in person than in pictures.

5. Weight. Advertised at 32lbs, mine weighed 33.6lbs before I put it in the water for the first time. That's 10+ lbs lighter than my last 14' board. It feels like a massive difference.

6. Overall stability is great. I can't believe how much easier it is to stand and move around on this board.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2019, 12:57:37 PM »
4. Aesthetics. It looks better in person than in pictures.

5. Weight. Advertised at 32lbs, mine weighed 33.6lbs before I put it in the water for the first time. That's 10+ lbs lighter than my last 14' board. It feels like a massive difference.

I noticed how nice it looks in your ‘real’ photo compared to the images of it on the SIC website, so I can imagine seeing it live can be even another step up. It’s a good looking board.

The advertised 32 lb  weight may have been right on if your 33 included fins and leash. You know those heavy leashes.     
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2019, 01:35:27 PM »
Nice looking board. You should be able to paddle in any conditions with that board. Good choice. Good company.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 01:46:33 PM »
Nice board and a very good choice for a dude your size. I like having a flat deck again myself. You are probably noticing a much more responsive and manoeuvrable board with It weighing that much lighter than your last one.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 02:00:37 PM »
nice board and good shape to suit your need, well done!

Iks_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2019, 07:32:17 PM »

The advertised 32 lb  weight may have been right on if your 33 included fins and leash. You know those heavy leashes.   

No leash, but I did have the fin installed. It’s carbon fiber and very light. Regardless, it’s much better than what I had before.

WaaSup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2019, 11:35:39 AM »
I've had my Evo 1.0 Carbon for about one year and it gets scratches dents and scuffs very very easily. I take care of everything I have very well (car, road bike, phone etc.) but keeping this boat nice has been a pain. Looking to upgrade but want something lighter and more durable  ;) 
I do like it's great touring capability, and have bungees up front where handles would have been. I also really like the deck as it's nice and soft (to sit on for picnics) as well as the design as it enables decent drainage. 
------------
Onesup Evo 1.0 (2017) 14'x24 carbon

The wood construction and finish of the Sunova Expedition needs to be seen in person to get an understanding of how nice it really is, and the price tag of well under 2 thousand makes it a bargain in the States. I was able to demo one relatively close to home in BC, which made the decision to buy easier. The Paulowina wood construction is said to be more durable than the Balsa lay up, but it is interesting the weights are the same or very close on the website for the Allround. I thought the allround faast was a few pounds lighter in Balsa wood.

I have a Onesup Evo 1.0 in the composite lay up and can vouch for Jacko on the quality of the construction. I'm waiting to paddle the 2.0 and it's still on my shortlist and it looks like a good option for a do everything board for sure. The composite lay up isn't what most on here would consider light, but I can say my Evo at a bit under 30 pounds, is easily as durable, or more durable than boards that I have owned that are 5-6 pounds heavier. So, for the weight conscious, the dynamic construction is worth a look if you are wanting to save some weight and have a more durable board, and the composite is a reasonable weight for touring or those that just want durability.

The Okeanos was another board I was considering in this class and it's very well priced as well, and while it's priced the same as the Expedition in the USA, it is priced quite a bit cheaper in Canada at the one shop I checked online (muskoka paddle shack).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:38:59 AM by WaaSup »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2019, 03:03:38 PM »
I've had my Evo 1.0 Carbon for about one year and it gets scratches dents and scuffs very very easily. I take care of everything I have very well (car, road bike, phone etc.) but keeping this boat nice has been a pain. Looking to upgrade but want something lighter and more durable  ;) 
I do like it's great touring capability, and have bungees up front where handles would have been. I also really like the deck as it's nice and soft (to sit on for picnics) as well as the design as it enables decent drainage. 
------------
Onesup Evo 1.0 (2017) 14'x24 carbon

The wood construction and finish of the Sunova Expedition needs to be seen in person to get an understanding of how nice it really is, and the price tag of well under 2 thousand makes it a bargain in the States. I was able to demo one relatively close to home in BC, which made the decision to buy easier. The Paulowina wood construction is said to be more durable than the Balsa lay up, but it is interesting the weights are the same or very close on the website for the Allround. I thought the allround faast was a few pounds lighter in Balsa wood.

I have a Onesup Evo 1.0 in the composite lay up and can vouch for Jacko on the quality of the construction. I'm waiting to paddle the 2.0 and it's still on my shortlist and it looks like a good option for a do everything board for sure. The composite lay up isn't what most on here would consider light, but I can say my Evo at a bit under 30 pounds, is easily as durable, or more durable than boards that I have owned that are 5-6 pounds heavier. So, for the weight conscious, the dynamic construction is worth a look if you are wanting to save some weight and have a more durable board, and the composite is a reasonable weight for touring or those that just want durability.

The Okeanos was another board I was considering in this class and it's very well priced as well, and while it's priced the same as the Expedition in the USA, it is priced quite a bit cheaper in Canada at the one shop I checked online (muskoka paddle shack).

WaaSup, I’m really surprised to hear your experience with your ONE Sup. I have the exact same board as you except I’ve got the 12’ 6” x 24”. Mine is also carbon and from 2017, and I find it to be extremely durable. Like you, I also tend to keep good care of my equipment, so mine certainly has not been abused, but any time it has gotten an accidental knock, there has never been a mark on it. This is my favourite board, for both the way it handles and for how durable it is. Sorry to hear that has not been your experience. Should also add that as far as the weight goes, my board weighs in at 22.4 pounds. I know yours is 14' but I certainly don't consider 22.4 pounds for a 12' 6" by 24" board to be heavy.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal