Author Topic: Sunova or Infinity  (Read 18526 times)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sunova or Infinity
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 07:49:03 PM »
The previous comments on board weight make sense, and fitting as I paddle a Sunova Expedition 14 x 28.5" that is just under 30 pounds. Supposedly a little bit more durable than the Balsa lay up, but weight is the obvious penalty.

The shape on the Expedition is more tuned to rough water paddling than the Bote, having more rocker, and a less pronounced displacement hull that won't/shouldn't get pushed around as easily in messy conditions. The Blackfish and the Sunova allround share similar characteristics for open water paddling as well imo. I have heard the Sunova allroundhas gotten an update for this year, or is getting one, with changes being more of a scooped out deck with scuppers.

supjacko

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 08:43:18 PM »
What about something like the 14 x 28 ONE EVO 2.0 which would make a unreal touring board at a unreal weight and construction is BOMB proof. From memory a 14 x 28 in Elite is in the 11kg range or the dynamic construction is about 800g to 1kg heavier so still very light. For us no different in board strength as they get lighter and all you are paying more for is less weight. We do a Hybrid construction as well if weight is no issue and these are in the 13kg range but definitely cheaper in price and still bombproof.

For touring these boards would be perfect as they are very stable and paddle nice in the flat but handle the bumps super well plus if you are paddling rocky areas the construction will handle this better than most.

https://www.oneoceansports.com/partners

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 03:13:25 AM »
The previous comments on board weight make sense, and fitting as I paddle a Sunova Expedition 14 x 28.5" that is just under 30 pounds.

The Sunova Expedition seems like another good option in that class of well performing/reasonably priced, funny enough, It weighs considerably less than the All-around fast at the same width, according to their website.

the 14 x 28 ONE EVO 2.0 which would make a unreal touring board at a unreal weight and...

Is the price going to be unreal as well, as in under 2k unreal?
if so, I’ll take one Even though I don’t need one.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:17:59 AM by burchas »
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 06:38:35 AM »
The previous comments on board weight make sense, and fitting as I paddle a Sunova Expedition 14 x 28.5" that is just under 30 pounds.

The Sunova Expedition seems like another good option in that class of well performing/reasonably priced, funny enough, It weighs considerably less than the All-around fast at the same width, according to their website.

the 14 x 28 ONE EVO 2.0 which would make a unreal touring board at a unreal weight and...

Is the price going to be unreal as well, as in under 2k unreal?
if so, I’ll take one Even though I don’t need one.

It's a mistake on the web site. It is around the 29/30 lbs range.  The Expedition weight more than the Allround. That would be so nice if the weight did not follow the price tag....Weight above 30 lbs equal price under CAD 3K and the opposite holds true- weight under 30 lbs = price over CAD 4K with taxes.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 06:56:06 AM »
The wood construction and finish of the Sunova Expedition needs to be seen in person to get an understanding of how nice it really is, and the price tag of well under 2 thousand makes it a bargain in the States. I was able to demo one relatively close to home in BC, which made the decision to buy easier. The Paulowina wood construction is said to be more durable than the Balsa lay up, but it is interesting the weights are the same or very close on the website for the Allround. I thought the allround faast was a few pounds lighter in Balsa wood.

I have a Onesup Evo 1.0 in the composite lay up and can vouch for Jacko on the quality of the construction. I'm waiting to paddle the 2.0 and it's still on my shortlist and it looks like a good option for a do everything board for sure. The composite lay up isn't what most on here would consider light, but I can say my Evo at a bit under 30 pounds, is easily as durable, or more durable than boards that I have owned that are 5-6 pounds heavier. So, for the weight conscious, the dynamic construction is worth a look if you are wanting to save some weight and have a more durable board, and the composite is a reasonable weight for touring or those that just want durability.

The Okeanos was another board I was considering in this class and it's very well priced as well, and while it's priced the same as the Expedition in the USA, it is priced quite a bit cheaper in Canada at the one shop I checked online (muskoka paddle shack).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 07:04:14 AM by robon »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 11:01:55 AM »
@Luc @robon

Have you tried the expedition 27” next to the all-around 27”?
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 12:00:08 PM »
@Luc @robon

Have you tried the expedition 27” next to the all-around 27”?

I have tried last years Allround, both in 25.5 and 27. And did not find it to be anything memorable. Mostly I believe because of two factors. Lack of recessed deck that really but you higher than you need to be. Very thick board. The Expedition is thinner which I like. I am not sure if it could benefit from a recessed deck too. The 2019 Allround is recessed but still very thick so might still be higher up than desirable. I am totally broke so really did not put any effort in trying 2019 boards....for obvious reasons but will if I have the chance.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2019, 02:54:06 PM »

I have a Onesup Evo 1.0 in the composite lay up and can vouch for Jacko on the quality of the construction. I'm waiting to paddle the 2.0 and it's still on my shortlist and it looks like a good option for a do everything board for sure. The composite lay up isn't what most on here would consider light, but I can say my Evo at a bit under 30 pounds, is easily as durable, or more durable than boards that I have owned that are 5-6 pounds heavier. So, for the weight conscious, the dynamic construction is worth a look if you are wanting to save some weight and have a more durable board, and the composite is a reasonable weight for touring or those that just want durability.

The construction from EVO 1 which is a carbon skin board which is still really compared to the sandwich molded construction of EVO 2.0 is crazy, the sandwich boards are lighter and stupid strong which I love so hopefully you will also enjoy. Edit If you have a EVO 1 in the Hybrid construction then these are sandwich boards as well which are super tough just a little heavier!.
Only thing we can make lighter is the Hollow but have to go Dugout for that and a different topic!!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:17:31 PM by Jacko »

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2019, 06:42:20 PM »
So I am 6’4 and when I was at my heavy I was around 240. I have a 14x27 infinity blackfish. Now I am around 210 and I race on a 14x25 dougout whiplash. I would definitely go with the blackfish.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 08:42:48 AM »
I have a 2018 Black fish 14x27, love the board. Pretty sure its marketed as a kinda do everything board, flat water, open ocean. in and out of surf. I ams 5'11 200 lbs and the board is fine for my size. The cool thing about infinity is that you can call Dave and tell him what you want and they can custom build it for you. Check out this review from a bigger paddler.....good luck

[url]https://youtu.be/J44zGA3-MEA/url]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 08:45:21 AM by SouthCounty »
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

Iks_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 08:58:07 AM »
Then imagine what extra couple more will feel like ;)

Can you share some links to unlimited boards? I'll take a look, just not sure something so long as to require a rudder steering system is something I'll like. I enjoy moving around on the board and doing the kick turns, occasionally surfing a wave in to shore.

So my suggestion is to go with something like an SIC Okeanos, you’ll save
1.5k in the process and get a board that has those same nice features a race
Board has shape wise, a 28” wide stable platform with tough construction
Only 4LBS more.

I have never even heard of this board. Definitely looking into it.

Iks_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 09:01:45 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. I've only been paddling for a couple years and am still unaware of everything that is available out there. I do value quality, but as Burchas has pointed out, price does not immediately equal performance.

You all are a wealth of knowledge and information. Thanks!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 10:38:11 AM »
Feel free to keep us informed what did you end up with and how you like it. Board reviews are always helpful.

Good Luck :)
in progress...

gcs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 04:16:39 AM »
If you live in Destin it wouldn’t harm to demo the Yolo tr14.  Available in 27.5 and 29.5 widths I think. They have a lake behind the store for demos. If you want to custom board in Florida google flying Fish board co.   
Starboard Allstar 2019 14x28
Infinity Wide Aquatic 10 8
Yolo Original 10 6

Iks_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 06:18:35 AM »
If you live in Destin it wouldn’t harm to demo the Yolo tr14.  Available in 27.5 and 29.5 widths I think. They have a lake behind the store for demos. If you want to custom board in Florida google flying Fish board co.   

I appreciate your input, but I'm not a fan of YOLO, which is why I chose BOTE. I regularly attend demo's with BOTE and am good friends with the FWB store manager, Matt, who used to work for YOLO. As for the TR14 specifically, it's a flat water design and I want to be able to handle open ocean.

I'll look into flying fish board co. Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal