Author Topic: Sunova or Infinity  (Read 18530 times)

Iks_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sunova or Infinity
« on: June 06, 2019, 01:32:42 PM »
I'm trying to decide between an Infinity Blackfish or the Sunova Allround Faast Pro. If any one has used either of these two boards (or both) I'd really appreciate any input you may have. I'm 6'0" and 265lbs. I currently have a recreational BOTE Traveller that is 14'x29". It's ok, but lacks real performance and is heavy (43lbs).

Blackfish:
https://infinity-sup.com/collections/race/products/2019-blackfish?variant=20775267532911

Allround Faast Pro:
https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/sup/flatwater-touring-race/allround-faast-pro

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunova or Infinity
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 02:08:02 PM »
nice choice and either brand design will do the job just choose the one that feels and looks nice to you and not to someone else taste. I paddled both but not the latest model, just make sure you get the right width to suit your weight and ability which I think is really important and demo them if you can.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 04:38:37 PM »
I would say there are more factors to consider first. What are the conditions you paddle in daily? Open ocean, lakes, or flat water bays / protected waters? If it's flat water, I would look at a Whiplash because they are going to be faster with better glide. The Blackfish is for open ocean and in and out of the surf. The Sunova Allround faaaast ::) looks like it is a trade off between the two? At your size I would think 27" wide would be as narrow as you would want. I'm sure you could paddle narrower, and they are a little faster.....but the fun factor goes down. If the conditions get a little rough, you'll be back on your heavy board. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 05:43:06 PM »
I have no input on either board, but when I lived in SoCal I had Infinity make me a custom open ocean/race board and they were wonderful to deal with and I loved the board.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 06:29:54 PM »
What is your motivation going with a 14’ race board? Are you looking to compete?
If you’re not looking to participate and compete in races you’ll be paying a steep
Price tag for not much of boost in performance.

At 265LB you really qualify for the unlimited board class and I suspect it will serve
You well beyond the 14 footers could, both performance and fun factor, all for about the same price. I thought it’s worth mentioning.
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 11:12:30 AM »

At 265LB you really qualify for the unlimited board class and I suspect it will serve
You well beyond the 14 footers could, both performance and fun factor, all for about the same price. I thought it’s worth mentioning.

Wait.... What's an unlimited? How would you store such a thing?  ::)
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 11:20:38 AM »
Oh... I see. Mega fast glide machine that's made for a guy in the 210 lbs + range...
It's not overhead to me!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 12:02:36 PM »
Oh... I see. Mega fast glide machine that's made for a guy in the 210 lbs + range...

TD, for a second there I thought you’re off-loading one from your fleet of
Unlimiteds, hook up a Zoner :D

that one should probably do just as well. Good find. 
in progress...

Iks_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 01:01:19 PM »
What is your motivation going with a 14’ race board? Are you looking to compete?
If you’re not looking to participate and compete in races you’ll be paying a steep
Price tag for not much of boost in performance.

I can handle 27" width no problem. I live in FL, between Destin and Pensacola. Little town called Navarre. Most of my paddling is done in the sound/bays and in the Gulf of Mexico. I want a board that can handle open ocean. I don't want to limit myself to just a flat water board as that is primarily what I have now (I have four boards, all recreational BOTE brand. 12' HD, 12' HD Lowrider, 12' traveller, 14' traveller).

The first board I bought was the BOTE HD Lowrider. It's basically a surf-style SUP with a small displacement nose, flat top, and mild concave. 12'x29"x5.5". Max capacity is 290 I think, so my experience in any type of chop (even very small) was water coming over the nose, adding weight, and destabilizing the board. This made it very difficult for a guy my size to manage. After much thought and consideration, I stepped up to the 14' board I currently use. It's a touring design with a large volume displacement style nose very similar in look to both the blackfish and sunova.

Those extra couple feet and the difference in shape are like night and day for me compared to my other board (now my wifes lol). I do want to race, and I have looked at the unlimited boards, but I don't think I'm ready to commit the space necessary for an 18' board lol.

JVM

• Halifax Paddlesurf
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Halifax Paddlesurf
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 02:37:44 PM »
They're both great boards. If you can demo them that's great. The Sunova boards have lower volume per size than the Infinity. The Balsa Construction makes the Sunova a little lighter and pretty durable.

Hard to say...
DEALER FOR--------------------------------
INFINITY BOARDS
ONE STAND UP BOARDS
SUNOVA SUP
AXIS FOILS
VISSLA
ISURUS
BLACKFISH PADDLES
BLACK PROJECT FINS AND PADDLES

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 03:29:09 PM »
I have a 2016 Blackfish 14'X25" with the Larry Allison fins. I'm 230 but I was 245 when I was paddling that thing and it worked very well. I could hold 6mph for long periods of time and hit 7 with my pulse pounding in my ears. For the young and skinny that's not much, but I'm 72 and fat. Surprisingly stable board. I fall off boards all the time and I hardly remember falling of that. I think skinny boards make you pay attention. I've done zero-fall Maliko runs on my 12'2" X 25" Ku Nalu which is a solid bitch to just stand on, but I don't think I've ever managed a zero fall run on my 17' X 26" Bullet, which is much more stable.

I like the blackfish, but I haven't used it for two years, so it's part of my "thin the herd" program. As soon as I get around to listing it.

I do think you'd dig an unlimited, if you have the muscle power to make it really go. Unlimiteds are not automatically faster, in fact at low speeds they often have more drag. But if you can push them to their limits, those limits are bit higher than 14's. They CAN be a lot slippery than a 14 because of the limited design potential of a 14. A gradual nose and tail curve runs out of board on a 14 so they are either stubby tails or have a tighter (more turbulent) profile. That unlimited Infinity in TallDude's post is a good example of that. I bet that thing would haul ass in your conditions. Look at the tail on that thing--it starts one third of the length back from the nose with just a slight curve to come to a pin tail. I bet it doesn't leave a ripple.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:33:37 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 03:41:43 PM »
Those extra couple feet and the difference in shape are like night and day for me compared to my other board...

Then imagine what extra couple more will feel like ;)

But if you insist on a 14, I’d say save your money and stay away from
those pricy boards that has the race moniker attached.

These are race boards since they are very narrow and very light when
Used by pros. For someone 210+ those 3LBS shaved in construction are
Meaningless performance wise but meaningful price wise.

When you bring 265LBS to the table and you are limited to 14 you either go
Wide or go deep, in any case you’ll be pushing water.

So my suggestion is to go with something like an SIC Okeanos, you’ll save
1.5k in the process and get a board that has those same nice features a race
Board has shape wise, a 28” wide stable platform with tough construction
Only 4LBS more.

I have nothing against either boards mentioned, both good boards from good
Brands, but the only thing you’ll get for the extra 1.5K is just a lighter board.
It will be nicer to carry around for sure, for some that make all the difference :)
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »
I like the blackfish, but I haven't used it for two years, so it's part of my "thin the herd" program. As soon as I get around to listing it.

I’ve noticed you haven’t said a thing about the Sunova Even though I remember
You’ve tested it. I still can’t shake the memory of that test ride, you looked like a
kid who’s lunch just got stolen ;D
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 05:03:20 PM »
You have a better memory than I do, I've mostly forgotten that. I just have a vague notion that I wasn't impressed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 05:51:00 PM »
I was considering getting a Blackfish, and found the bottom line being it's a great open water board but designed to be optimally fast at sprint speeds. So you paddle like hell and it gets up and planes (as much as a SUP can plane).  As TD mentions, the Whiplash is the glider, and the Blackfish the more open water board.

If you’re looking at used boards, be aware that the Blackfish evolves year to year. The 2017 was intended to increase flat water speed, with rounder rails, but some thought it lost in the stability department, so 2018 went to boxier square rails. That was what was going on at the time I wa looking. Other years are different still.

They are a great board. But then I demo'd a SIC RS and that was the board for me personally.

Another thing supporting Burchas' approach about not spending a zillion dollars on a race board - if you're moving from a 43 lb board, even a 30 lb board will feel like a huge improvement. 

Check the classifieds on the Distressed Mullet. Lots of big boards and seems very east coast centric.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 05:59:27 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal