Author Topic: Hot glue paddles  (Read 2252 times)

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Hot glue paddles
« on: June 06, 2019, 04:50:00 AM »
I kept getting water in my paddle and re-glued a few times.  The last re-glue I added duct tape at each joint.   Still leaking water in !   When I peeled the tape away it was dry.   Turns out I have a pin-hole in the top of the handle.   Last night I heated the shaft up and then applied epoxy at the leak.  Hoping the cooling air inside draws some epoxy in for a good seal.  KeNalu Ho'oloa,  it's a great paddle.

JP

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Hot glue paddles
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 05:00:34 AM »
Sound good
Glad you are loving your Paddle
KENALU's ROCK!!!!!!

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 05:56:19 AM »
Last night I heated the shaft up and then applied epoxy at the leak.  Hoping the cooling air inside draws some epoxy in for a good seal.

I have found ANY pressure differential causes leaks.  Heat, weather, other causes?  The smallest differential will cause a bore hole in the epoxy, no matter how small, it leads to leaks.  I have been patching boards for decades and get micro pin holes through 4 layers of laminate.   Maddening. 

Keep the temperature even.  Sometime I will use a piece of clear packaging tape OVER the hole while it dries if small.  The tape also prevents any air flow while the epoxy dries.  This works better than other strategies and results in a clean, no sand finish. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:31:00 AM by Beasho »

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 06:06:55 AM »
Beasho,  I use saran wrap over epoxy for some repairs.  NO-sanding.   Let me know if you do a CT visit this summer.  Fish or surf.  JP

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 06:27:33 AM »
Seran wrap works pretty well, but I usually use peel-ply, the excess epoxy bleeds through and leaves a solid patch.  Just tape it at both ends to form a tight overlay.  (peel-ply is taffeta fabric, the same stuff your girlfriend wore to the prom way back when ;D

I try not to do any glassing on rising temps. (As they say, no glassing while the board is gassing) ufff...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 08:35:17 AM »
This is why I've given up on hotcoat for repairs. It's unreliable unless you are extremely careful--and I'm not. So I do a typical repair and slap on a piece of aluminum tape. It makes my board look like it has some kind of metal measles, but it won't suck water and I don't care how it looks.

Speaking of measles, the CDC says there have been more than 1000 case of measles in the USA. A potentially fatal disease that had been eliminated. We seem to be building monuments to stupidity as fast as we can.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 10:16:05 AM »
Maybe time for a booster shot...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal